GDT: 2020 WJC (Caps Prospects: McMichael — CAN and Hugo Has — CZE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
...and that's why zero adversity in a tournament up until the final can be a killer. They never had to push too far out of their comfort zone due to never trailing.

Really strong checking effort by the USA, though, and their top line was nails. Absolutely the best line in the tournament.

McMichael's lack of explosiveness was apparent. Still a heady player at times but perhaps the only abundantly NHL-ready player on Canada was Byram. Colorado's got another great player there.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
That wasn’t a great game from McMichael, but even still he had a couple looks. Looked best on that one powerplay at the end of the first. Whiffed that break away, but at least had the awareness to pounce on that turnover. He did get caught floating on the Zegras goal (I think that was him a step late?)

definitely not the most explosive guy but really seems like he picks his spots, he’s sneaky. But overall, bad showing from most of Team Canada tonight. Hard to judge too much on this covid tournament, but even still McMichael played well.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
That wasn’t a great game from McMichael, but even still he had a couple looks. Looked best on that one powerplay at the end of the first. Whiffed that break away, but at least had the awareness to pounce on that turnover. He did get caught floating on the Zegras goal (I think that was him a step late?)

definitely not the most explosive guy but really seems like he picks his spots, he’s sneaky. But overall, bad showing from most of Team Canada tonight. Hard to judge too much on this covid tournament, but even still McMichael played well.

Can't really blame McMichael for the Zegras goal, it was a strange bounce off the back of the net following a Cozens turnover. (although I haven't watched it many times so I may be misremembering).

McMichael likes to make a lot of quick shots and passes, he'd do well with a puck possession center like Eller or Kuznetsov.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
I felt like I was seeing a lot of coasting in McMichael's defensive zone game. On that first goal he didn't get great pressure on his guy and that got the puck easily up to the point for the shot. Second goal he has it behind the net and then seems to be slow footed in getting back to the D side once it turned over.

He looked good offensively, but for a guy who was touted as being similar to Toews it looks like the D ethic wasn't quite there. Maybe it was coaching and strategy but he wasn't putting a lot of pressure on his guys when the US scored both of their goals and had Canada hemmed in.

Reactions: crab

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Similar to Toews? Sounds like that’s a bust evaluation to me. I don’t see that comparison as valid at all, because like you....I don’t see that guy on ice when I’ve seen him so far.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
McMichael was floating a lot in the game. Wasn’t really impressed with his game last night.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That game was like watching the Caps. USA played great defensively and capitalized on a few lucky bounces and breaks but Canada got no puck luck at all. The post by Byram, a few deflections in front that defied physics and somehow didn't go in... yeah, I've seen that movie a few times. You could tell they were panicking and pressing as the game went on.

Oh and it's good that Florida signed Bob to that contract since they have no goaltender of the future in their prospect pool.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Scott Wheeler on McMichael in general/ his performance:
"His skating looks improved, with quicker acceleration from a standstill. He handles the puck extremely well with one hand on his stick which helps him go inside-out and cut to his backhand to drive on defenders. And he just gets it. He understands how to play the game and how to adjust to his linemates. Heading into the gold-medal game, he was second to Cozens on the team in shots on goal (22) and points (8), even though the stat keepers had missed an assist of his on the 5-0 empty-net goal against Russia in the semis. He was excellent in all-situations and scored an unassisted shorthanded goal against the Germans. I thought he was going to be a middle-six guy in his draft year but his progression since has given him clear top-six upside. I think he’s ready to play in the NHL right now. Whether the Capitals will afford him that opportunity this season is TBD"

The gold medal game was easily his worst game, wouldnt draw conclusions based on a one game sample size

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Scott Wheeler on McMichael in general/ his performance:
"His skating looks improved, with quicker acceleration from a standstill. He handles the puck extremely well with one hand on his stick which helps him go inside-out and cut to his backhand to drive on defenders. And he just gets it. He understands how to play the game and how to adjust to his linemates. Heading into the gold-medal game, he was second to Cozens on the team in shots on goal (22) and points (8), even though the stat keepers had missed an assist of his on the 5-0 empty-net goal against Russia in the semis. He was excellent in all-situations and scored an unassisted shorthanded goal against the Germans. I thought he was going to be a middle-six guy in his draft year but his progression since has given him clear top-six upside. I think he’s ready to play in the NHL right now. Whether the Capitals will afford him that opportunity this season is TBD"

The gold medal game was easily his worst game, wouldnt draw conclusions based on a one game sample size

I think we all know that and aren’t suddenly proclaiming he sucks/will be a bust or a disappointment.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I felt like I was seeing a lot of coasting in McMichael's defensive zone game. On that first goal he didn't get great pressure on his guy and that got the puck easily up to the point for the shot. Second goal he has it behind the net and then seems to be slow footed in getting back to the D side once it turned over.

He looked good offensively, but for a guy who was touted as being similar to Toews it looks like the D ethic wasn't quite there. Maybe it was coaching and strategy but he wasn't putting a lot of pressure on his guys when the US scored both of their goals and had Canada hemmed in.
Guy drafted late in round 1 vs a consensus top 5 pick in a loaded draft class — as comparables?

doesn’t sound remotely fair to CMM

Reactions: Capagonia

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Wheeler is pretty bullish on him and it's not surprising given his fantasy background. There's clear top six offensive upside but a fair dissection of his game makes it unlikely he should be playing in the NHL. The skill will play but the rest needs work. Conceivably he maybe could hack it but he seems like he'd operate in survival mode much of the time. Better to not rush him and instead have him be a student of the game on the taxi squad. Some AHL games eventually would also be a good idea while that option is available. The skill level makes him close but with the expectations the Caps have they need options that hit the ground running in every area. He didn't clearly display that level of readiness in this tournament (compared to the likes of Zegras, Byram & Stutzle).

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Wheeler is pretty bullish on him and it's not surprising given his fantasy background. There's clear top six offensive upside but a fair dissection of his game makes it unlikely he should be playing in the NHL. The skill will play but the rest needs work. Conceivably he maybe could hack it but he seems like he'd operate in survival mode much of the time. Better to not rush him and instead have him be a student of the game on the taxi squad. Some AHL games eventually would also be a good idea while that option is available. The skill level makes him close but with the expectations the Caps have they need options that hit the ground running in every area. He didn't clearly display that level of readiness in this tournament (compared to the likes of Zegras, Byram & Stutzle).
Hoping the OHL can just let him go for the season, he would benefit from basically being anywhere but with kids not on his skill level

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hoping the OHL can just let him go for the season, he would benefit from basically being anywhere but with kids not on his skill level
I'd rather have him playing games in the OHL than not playing games on the taxi squad. But the OHL is still more than 2 weeks away from starting camps and basically a month from starting games, and a lot can happen between now and then.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Adopting a pro mentality is a must. Maybe that can be accomplished via Dale. I don't know. I don't think it's a lock that just playing games, particularly relatively easy ones where he doesn't absolutely have to reside outside his comfort zone, is a de facto upgrade. Sitting, learning, training. Changing the way he approaches the game mentally. To me that's just as effective as playing games where he's not necessarily going to be doing much more than going through similar motions.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Just bring him up, he’s got the same development quirk cerebral goaltenders have where his potential to grow and how well he plays can be bolstered by being surrounded by competent NHL players. I’d rather season him this year when he’s possibly physically ready and let him take this coming offseason to get his body to the next level, already knowing what it takes rather than adjusting to the NHL’s speed next year instead.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
In a normal season, it would be easy to say "play him his 9 NHL games then return him to junior." But this season is scuffed. Being in practice and around the pro conditioning staff is nice, but nothing replaces game action.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
In a normal season, it would be easy to say "play him his 9 NHL games then return him to junior." But this season is scuffed. Being in practice and around the pro conditioning staff is nice, but nothing replaces game action.
I’m hoping the OHL season is done and he ends up in the AHL. I feel like that’s the ideal spot for him this season.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Yeah I am not saying he is the next Jonathon Toews, but that was one of the comparables that stuck out from his draft year. He had good offensive numbers and looks throughout the tourney, I was just noticing his defensive effort was lackluster last night. That could be a ton of things that are leading to it, and Zegras skill certainly might be a factor in that.

Here is a link to a comparable stating Toews:
Scouting the NHL Draft: Connor McMichael is the home run swing for the Tampa Bay Lightning
The comparable here is very tricky because McMichael still seems very raw in terms of where his two-way game will be. He has lots of potential but it’s unsure how much of it he will realize. If he really takes an honest attempt at dedicating himself to the defensive zone, he could be some version of Jonathan Toews. If he ends up with just having that great offensive prowess including his shot, he might end up as an Auston Matthews-lite.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I definitely lean towards keeping McMichael on the TS over OHL if that’s the option. I agree with similar claims about preparing for the game, being around the NHL, training, conditioning, practice. I feel that’s much better for his game.

is playing against kids with no body checking really going to improve his game more than daily practices and skates with NHLers? Get him some AHL games if you can, but I really don’t see that much more value in sending him to the OHL. He’s just about NHL ready so use this season as a long training camp for him and get him in a position to make the team and play in 21/22

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->