2020 Winter Classic to be held in Dallas

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Make it Colorado.

I want to participate in an “Eddie is better” chant with Roy on the ice.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Colorado, Anaheim, Nashville -- outside pick would be New Jersey Devils with their Plano kids on the current roster and old time rival.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Congrats guys. I know the outdoor games are stale but not when you’re hosting. It’s awesome. Hope it’s the Blues! Bet it’s the Avalanche.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Actually they just announced Colorado is hosting their own thing. Must be down to Minnesota and St Louis right? Nashville maybe?

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Actually they just announced Colorado is hosting their own thing. Must be down to Minnesota and St Louis right? Nashville maybe?

In a perfect world, the year you have a former Pacific Division team hosting a Winter Classic, the visitor would be a Pacific Division team (e.g., Ana/VGK/SJ) since it's been beyond ridiculous that there has yet to be any Pacific Division team in a WC, even as the road team. It's not happening, but it should.

Considering the opponent is TBA, I do have to imagine many Pacific team GMs are lobbying for the spot, because this seems to be the one opening for a potential Pacific Division team.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

It could be Minnesota or Chicago, but not St. louis. I'd not be surprised if it were Pittsburgh or Washington just to get the media attention.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Big, BIG congratulations from Tampa. After our ASG there were a few billboards implicating we'd want an outdoor game but who the hell knows when that is gonna happen? But the big point is, as a fellow Southerner I want you guys to do it up big and show them what Texas is all about. It's about DAMN time someone was the "Original 6" combo breaker.

Give em hell

ItsBennGreat

Get Jamie Benn a Stanley Cup '19 campaign
Jan 29, 2018
Raleigh. NC
If NBC has their pull in this, it will be a popular team on the East Coast. They want that ratings that the Northeast and some of the mid-Atlantic will pull in.
It won't be the Bruins , but it could be the Penguins or Capitals which makes no sense except to "sell jerseys".

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

Not sure how the Sharks fit into the game, your arguments didn't really convince me.

Classic rivalry: Nope
TV Ratings: Nope
Huge Fanbase/Travelling Fans: No and not likely. Cotton Bowl holds over 90,000 people??
Growing the game in small markets: Dallas is in it, focus on continued growth in Texas and make it a desired event for Texas residents to attend. The Stars have no obligation to host another small market team. That could be a disaster.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Not sure how the Sharks fit into the game, your arguments didn't really convince me.

Classic rivalry: Nope
TV Ratings: Nope
Huge Fanbase/Travelling Fans: No and not likely. Cotton Bowl holds over 90,000 people??
Growing the game in small markets: Dallas is in it, focus on continued growth in Texas and make it a desired event for Texas residents to attend. The Stars have no obligation to host another small market team. That could be a disaster.

First off, thanks for reading the piece!

That's fine, I wanted to share my full thoughts and thought "Defending Big D" was a great place for it (I don't see anyone else from any other opposing fanbase going into Stars territory to make a case for why it should be their team), and also shared them here. As to classic rivalry, I made my Texas vs. California rivalry argument, I don't think there's anything more classic than that, but that's my 2 cents. And I'm not sure why you (Stars fans) would care about TV ratings. In fact, there's an argument that if anyone should care about how the actual TV ratings turn out for a Winter Classic in Dallas, it's Sharks fans and fans of Pacific division teams who still have yet to sniff a Winter classic even on the road.

Also not sure why you would want a visiting team's fan base to dominate the stands. Not to mention, overall, I intended the tone of piece to be somewhat light-hearted while making some points.

Edit: For some reason, y'all aren't talking much about the Winter Classic, but eventually you'll come back to it, so I thought I would add another thought. For anyone who read my piece, I think you are discounting the "Easy win" part. Keep in mind, y'all are fans. Not the organization, not the NHL, not NBC, etc. As a fan, at the end of the day, what you should care about is 1.) having a blast at the event and 2.) winning.

That's why I say, do you want to have this one and only winter classic and get drilled 6-0 by Nashville? Do you want to leave the end saying "yeah, it was fun, but man I wish we didn't get killed" OR do you want to have this one and only winter classic and kill the Sharks LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO IN DALLAS AND HAVE THE PAST 6 GAMES IN DALLAS? That way, you enjoy the event and leave with a smile over the win.

That's why my piece is about what Stars fans should want. Fans want to have fun and win.

Last edited:

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
I just heard someone mention an Alumni game pre-broadcast for the Dallas/Florida game tonight. Is it for/during this?

Also, would Robidas play in it, or is he still on vacation? :D
nt4muFG.jpg

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->