2020 Weather Thread.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Would be awesome if the f***ing sun would come out. What's with this eternal grey shit.
I want my few nice days with Sun damnit :P

We seem to have developed a pattern.. a really shitty one too.

Start off month nice. Polar vortex for remaining 2/3rds. Hide sun for most/all of it.

Weather networks prediction for November
COLD ANOMALY PARKS OVER THE WEST

A formidable cold anomaly, albeit slightly less extreme than the October chill, is poised to park over western Canada for an extended period this month. It'll be quite cold at times, but the polar vortex is expected to shift to the other side of the globe as the month progresses, so the chilliest of air is likely off the table, for now. At times, there will be significant snow for the Prairies, but that's not unusual for the month of November.

There's that word again that's becoming oh so common in this province.. Our monthly polar vortex.
"We predict the north pole to come take a giant shit on Alberta again this month while the east.. ok big shocker.. "will be nice"

Swear if this keeps up I'm moving east :P

Reactions: oilers'72

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Just looked at the forecast for this week for Medicine Hat courtesy of The Weather Network .

Today: Sunny, +21.

This weekend: Upwards of 45 cm of snow. Yes, that is forty-five centimeters, not four and a half centimeters.

I hope the forecaster person was reading his charts upside down or was using the wrong ink and his notes smeared or something.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Just looked at the forecast for this week for Medicine Hat courtesy of The Weather Network .

This weekend: Upwards of 45 cm of snow. Yes, that is forty-five centimeters, not four and a half centimeters.

I hope the forecaster person was reading his charts upside down or was using the wrong ink and his notes smeared or something.

Wow, that is a lot of snow! I got my winter tires on, raked the last of the leaves today, got my flu shot, so guess I’m as ready for winter as I’ll ever be.

Reactions: McFuhryous

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

Don't like The Weather Network.

Been wrong a lot over the years.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Wow, that is a lot of snow! I got my winter tires on, raked the last of the leaves today, got my flu shot, so guess I’m as ready for winter as I’ll ever be.

This place is weird when it comes to forecasts. Brooks is about 45 minutes west and they'll get pounded with snow. We'll get flurries. So many times we've been under a winter storm warning and told to batten the hatches and we get 5 cm of snow :biglaugh:.

But to predict 45 cm of snow though, either they made an error calculating the system and we get 10-15 or we're in for some serious digging.

Sounds like you're ready to grab old man winter by the beard and take him head on lol.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Don't like The Weather Network.

Been wrong a lot over the years.

That they are. Odd thing is, I find them more accurate than Environment Canada in the spring/summer and EC more accurate in the fall/winter. EC just says "periods of snow" for Saturday so they can't be wrong if they don't provide a projected accumulation.

giphy.gif

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Snowfall warning in effect for:
  • City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
Snowfall with total amounts of 10 to 15 cm is expected.

An area of heavy snow is expected to move over portions of Central Alberta beginning Saturday morning. The heaviest snow is expected to develop near the city of Edmonton. The snow will taper off by Sunday morning.
Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Take frequent breaks and avoid strain when clearing snow.

Snowfall warnings are issued when significant snowfall is expected.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm.

Reactions: Dorian2

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Snowfall warning in effect for:
  • City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
Snowfall with total amounts of 10 to 15 cm is expected.

An area of heavy snow is expected to move over portions of Central Alberta beginning Saturday morning. The heaviest snow is expected to develop near the city of Edmonton. The snow will taper off by Sunday morning.
Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Take frequent breaks and avoid strain when clearing snow.

Snowfall warnings are issued when significant snowfall is expected.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm.

Just realized you changed your username. Was wondering who the new guy was with so many posts that I had never seen before. ;)

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Stormy AF down here in the SE corner of the province. We're supposed to get another 20 cm today with wind gusts up around 70 km/hr. I don't know how much we got over night but I'm guessing it was around 10 cm.

My kids have the week off school for some reason so we'll be going tobagganing once this bad storm moves on. They've never had a November break before so I'm assuming it's a week for the school to clean and sanitize to stay on top of things.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Stormy AF down here in the SE corner of the province. We're supposed to get another 20 cm today with wind gusts up around 70 km/hr. I don't know how much we got over night but I'm guessing it was around 10 cm.

My kids have the week off school for some reason so we'll be going tobagganing once this bad storm moves on. They've never had a November break before so I'm assuming it's a week for the school to clean and sanitize to stay on top of things.

It is a division by division thing. My school has classes Monday and Tuesday this week while giving the kids Remembrance day on off. We started do that last year.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

They cancelled school buses tomorrow on Friday already and we are actually east of the main storm

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
holy crap that's crazy

I thought the 15cm here in Edmonton was bad

Edmonton got off light lol

I'd say we got at least double that plus the wind last evening was blowing at about 40 and gusting to around 60. It was worse further east between Swift Current and Maple Creek. Lethbridge area obviously got fisted too. Sunny today though so bonus? We're in for yet another 10 cm tomorrow here :facepalm:.

I have 3 or 4 foot high drifts along the entire side of my house plus another one between my house and garage I have to move before it warms up later in the week and starts to melt or else I could have basement problems. Good thing the kids have two sleds. Gonna load the snow onto them and move it towards the back that way instead of shovelling it from point A to B to C and handling it three times.

Gonna have my second bowl of Wheaties and a can of spinach before venturing out lol.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
261 accidents in Edmonton on weekend only counting up to 4pm yesterday,

Which is pretty much what I expect on the first gonzo show every year as tons of drivers act like they've never ever driven on slick roads before. A large reason why I avoid driving if at all possible at these times.

But it begs the question, and I'm wondering this, less people than ever are working in Edmonton per capita right now, its a weekend, no school, theres all kinds of weather advisories to not drive, stay home. There are pandemic advisories to not have guests at home, to not congregate, to limit all assembly. Many things are shutdown, suspended, cancelled.

The curious thing about the weekend tally is where are all these people going and why? There were tons more accidents in an out of the city and hundreds to thousands of drivers stranded on outlying highways on closed highways.

I mean people WTF. Stay home when all advisories are telling you to stay home. This is perfect illustration of how as a population we just don't listen.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Edmonton got off light lol

I'd say we got at least double that plus the wind last evening was blowing at about 40 and gusting to around 60. It was worse further east between Swift Current and Maple Creek. Lethbridge area obviously got fisted too. Sunny today though so bonus? We're in for yet another 10 cm tomorrow here :facepalm:.

I have 3 or 4 foot high drifts along the entire side of my house plus another one between my house and garage I have to move before it warms up later in the week and starts to melt or else I could have basement problems. Good thing the kids have two sleds. Gonna load the snow onto them and move it towards the back that way instead of shovelling it from point A to B to C and handling it three times.

Gonna have my second bowl of Wheaties and a can of spinach before venturing out lol.

For clarity edmonton got about 30cm, not as bad, but just wanted to add the correct total in here. It was a considerable dump here as well. The initial expectation here was 10-15, which quickly altered to 25-30cm. System was even parked on top of us for a long time, around 30hrs. Fortunately this all happening on a weekend. Lots of highways got shut around here as well including the main Highway 16 just west of the city..

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
For clarity edmonton got about 30cm, not as bad, but just wanted to add the correct total in here. It was a considerable dump here as well. The initial expectation here was 10-15, which quickly altered to 25-30cm. System was even parked on top of us for a long time, around 30hrs. Fortunately this all happening on a weekend. Lots of highways got shut around here as well including the main Highway 16 just west of the city..
where are you getting your info from?
it says 19cm here
Snow On Ground - Daily data for Edmonton
I guess it depends on where you are

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
where are you getting your info from?
it says 19cm here
Snow On Ground - Daily data for Edmonton
I guess it depends on where you are

Global, weather network reported updated amount to be 30cm. Theres also lots of variation even within a region, and at the different monitoring points. But overall that was a good one foot dump of snow. That wss the average depth of the shit that I saw anywhere around SE here.

Plus theres a difference between snow accumulating on ground, and how much fell here. The first amounts just formed a lot of ice.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Pto tip for shoveling long driveway where you want all the snow to be on end furthest from house or structures.

Make one clear pass the full length of driveway approx in middle of driveway. . Then use that path as a chute or channel to push all the rest of the snow through that chute to the other end. Its surprising how much easier this is then trying to shovel and toss all the snow a distance, to the same place. At the end once you got all your snow kind of where you want it make piles by throwing snow on furthest end of pile first, and then as you tire the closer end of the pile. Make sure the piles don't restrict egress at all.

The above approach best when you experience snow drifts on driveway as I do and when its of the sticky heavy variety. That stuff pushes better than throwing it all. Plus once you've made a couple sweeps of piles through your channel it ice glosses the bottom and so that the rest flow through there with minimal resistance. Works with either scoop or standard push shovels.

Physiologically human bodies are designed so that legs are much stronger than arms. Its easier to push snow distances using legs as the driver rather than throwing snow from one area to another.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->