OT: 2020 Vancouver Whitecaps

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
10th year as a STH and this is the least enthusiastic I have been coming into a season.

Hopefully the boys surprise. It will be interesting to see how Cavallini performs in the MLS; he has the tools to be a force.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Every match that goes by in his tenure, I lose more faith in MDS. Really not seeing anything groundbreaking in his system that's going to turn this organisation into a cup contender. Hoping Owusu, Bikel and Lee (reportedly) coming in can offer up a new look in the midfield, because it's just not cutting it right now.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
A cheaply assembled roster unable to compete in MLS propped down by a manager that refuses to attack the ball. Long balls galore.

Teibert and Nerwinski are better suited for the CPL or MLS circa 2012.

Going to be another long season. There is no way I see the MLS being in Vancouver by 2025.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Until they get a pace setting central midfielder, which they have never had outside of a half season from Morales, they're going to be an also ran.

Tonight's game was uninspiring to the core. That was one of the worst second halls they could have played coming in down by one at half time.

Reactions: Rocko604

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This team needs to compete, it’s going to be almost 10 years and MLS and we look like the first inaugural season.

The good time feeling of being part of MLS is over, field a competitive team.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
No defending at the top of the box, and they can only move the ball to the forwards along the flank. Not going to produce many shots on target, nevermind goals, once teams realize they just have to shut down the fullbacks and wingers.

But at least we don't have to hear Bobby's excuses anymore.

OT, but I really hope the BC Lions tarp the lower bowl in certain sections like the Whitecaps do. 22,120 last night, but it looked full and sounded loud.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So another interminable MLS season begins....and stretches through dog days of summer when it's basically too hot to play and the teams lack any energy.

But the MLS reminds me a lot of the NHL these days.....nobody really gets eliminated from the playoffs no matter how bad they are at the start of the season....so it'll be September at least before the Caps are officially eliminated once again.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No defending at the top of the box, and they can only move the ball to the forwards along the flank. Not going to produce many shots on target, nevermind goals, once teams realize they just have to shut down the fullbacks and wingers.

But at least we don't have to hear Bobby's excuses anymore.

OT, but I really hope the BC Lions tarp the lower bowl in certain sections like the Whitecaps do. 22,120 last night, but it looked full and sounded loud.
Our teams play is a stadium that requires tarps. That just doesn’t sound right, does it?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Our teams play is a stadium that requires tarps. That just doesn’t sound right, does it?

In a perfect world, the Lions and Whitecaps average 27,500 and fill the lower bowl, but neither club has the desire to even try to win, so here we are.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Only saw the second half, but a nice debut from Raposo, who picked up a second assist on the Ricketts goal. Was a nice play all around: Raposo springs Adnan, who chips the ball past a defender and feeds one back for Ricketts.

The Galaxy went down to 10 men shortly afterwards (two yellows) and Ricketts drew a penalty around the 85th minute that Cavallini completely bottled by blasting a grounder straight up the middle.

Owusu came on for Ricketts but nothing particularly notable in his limited minutes.

Rose was in for Cornelius and was okay, but they need Godoy back. Neither Rose not Khmiri are long term solutions at centre back.

Big road win, though.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
That second half was surprisingly encouraging. My heart was beating pretty hard for a while after it was done. It would have been nice for Cavallini to blast the PK home to give them a bit of breathing room.

It's a small sample, but Raposo looks to be the most promising-looking rookie since Davies. (OK, there are only like 1½ others that have suited up).

Side note – they look way better with the light shorts than the fully-dark uniform like last week.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Nice to get a win, especially on the road.

Gotta be honest, if I'd closed my eyes and just listened to the names on the play by play, I'd have had no clue which team was the Whitecaps. There's been a pretty massive turnover on the roster since MDS took over.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Only caught sporadic action in the second half, but who was the guy who took the penalty kick for the Caps?....Might have been the worst kick from the spot I've ever seen.....drilled right at the keeper who just stood there.

Lol!...Looked like Jay Beagle in the the shootout.

Reactions: Hit the post

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Only caught sporadic action in the second half, but who was the guy who took the penalty kick for the Caps?....Might have been the worst kick from the spot I've ever seen.....drilled right at the keeper who just stood there.

That was prized offseason acquisition, and designated player, lucas cavallini

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Bikel looked really good, and the backline was solid.

Cavallini hasn't done a single impressive thing in either game this season. Don't get the hype.
Bikel was decent, he was out of position quite a bit, lucky that Pavon screwed the pooch a few times there. Impressive stuff though. I'd like to see him in midfield, Teibert shoild be a bench player anyways.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

The worst part about the pen was that he didn't even really drill it. It was more like a casual whack down the middle.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
That second half was surprisingly encouraging. My heart was beating pretty hard for a while after it was done. It would have been nice for Cavallini to blast the PK home to give them a bit of breathing room.

It's a small sample, but Raposo looks to be the most promising-looking rookie since Davies. (OK, there are only like 1½ others that have suited up).

Side note – they look way better with the light shorts than the fully-dark uniform like last week.
Raposo was solid in pre-season. His speed is refreshing but he seems to hold onto the ball too long, trying to make too much of an impact or whichever. I actually liked what Dajome brought on the wing at times as well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bikel was decent, he was out of position quite a bit, lucky that Pavon screwed the pooch a few times there. Impressive stuff though. I'd like to see him in midfield, Teibert shoild be a bench player anyways.

I'm far from a Teibert fan but I thought he played one of his best games on Saturday. Broke up a ton of plays in midfield, was excellent defensively.

Reactions: clunk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->