Blue Jays GDT: (2020 v4) Next: vs NYM | Sun, Sept 13 | 3:00pm ET/12:00pm PT | Peterson vs Ryu

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
tenor.gif

full

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Has there ever been an inning where all 3 outs have been bunt pop ups? That sounds like fun

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I agree with Buck. Stretch out Hatch and/or Merryweather.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ah I never factored in that a strikeout and a groundout kills all the momentum as well. perhaps homeruns are good after all

Reactions: kb

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What is this discussion even about? Ok so the runner ran out of the baseline to try to mess with the throw. How does that matter? He was out anyway which is the penalty for doing that so no change, and it wouldn't suddenly make the hitter out.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
871 pitchers available in the pen. Yamaguchi hasn't pitched in 4 and a half years. Off day tomorrow, and a 4 run lead so you can use whoever you want. Lets use the guy who pitched yesterday.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't care one way or another that Dolis was used here. Whatever. My issue is that Ryu should have come out for the 7th, and if he got through it they could have gone straight to Hatch to try to finish it up (and then used Cole or Dolis once it went sideways).

I don't often complain about starter usage, but he needs to be more lenient since they have an actual Ace on the team.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
What is this discussion even about? Ok so the runner ran out of the baseline to try to mess with the throw. How does that matter? He was out anyway which is the penalty for doing that so no change, and it wouldn't suddenly make the hitter out.

I think the argument would have been that it affected Guerrero's throw (having to kind of lob it over Frazier instead of firing it straight to the base) and their ability to quickly get the ball to first.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think the argument would have been that it affected Guerrero's throw (having to kind of lob it over Frazier instead of firing it straight to the base) and their ability to quickly get the ball to first.

Yeah but you're never going to get the hitter as an awarded out because the runner disrupted the throw to 2nd base. Seemed pretty pointless. The umpires almost went to the review on something which also didn't make sense if that was the discussion.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Still annoys me that Montoyo threw away at least 4-5 wins earlier this season. We'd be right there with Tampa Bay (actually ahead of them because 2 of those games were against the Rays) if it wasn't for his poor managing.

Reactions: phillipmike

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Still annoys me that Montoyo threw away at least 4-5 wins earlier this season. We'd be right there with Tampa Bay (actually ahead of them because 2 of those games were against the Rays) if it wasn't for his poor managing.

4-5 wins? You're vastly overestimating the impact of even the best/worst managers.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah but you're never going to get the hitter as an awarded out because the runner disrupted the throw to 2nd base. Seemed pretty pointless. The umpires almost went to the review on something which also didn't make sense if that was the discussion.

I swear I've seen the DP awarded on plays like that before. Maybe only if the ball contacts the runner.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
4-5 wins? You're vastly overestimating the impact of even the best/worst managers.

Maybe in a general sense, but there are specific instances this season where it could have made the actual difference between a win and a loss.

Also, the impact is overestimated between "good" managers and "average" managers. There are diminishing returns as you go up the ladder because how many more "right" moves does a good manager make compared to an average manager, and how many of those moves actually cause the team to win more games.

But the difference between even an average manager and a "bad" manager like Montoyo can be significant. At the lower end of the ladder, the number of bad moves piles up and compounds into tangible reasons for losing games.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I agree with Buck. Stretch out Hatch and/or Merryweather.
Just follow the starters with boss arms and it’s all good. Short leash is cool with me.
After Walker, Ray.
After Roark, Merryweather.
After Anderson, Hatch/Kay depending on matchups.
But in general yes, let’s see what Merryweather has stretched out.
Could end up a great deal, in the end :)

Reactions: kb

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I swear I've seen the DP awarded on plays like that before. Maybe only if the ball contacts the runner.

I've never seen it that I can remember, but if it's happened it would have to be pretty tailor made. They turn that perfectly I'm still not sure they get him. 1st to SS to pitcher is never a given.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hazel, Joe, Buck, Dan and Arash break down the Toronto Blue Jays' victory over the New York Mets to take the series, crediting the play of Santiago Espinal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->