2020 Usports Recruiting

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Haha not at all. It just amuses me that when UNB gets any player (they don’t even have to have big numbers), it’s always because of some shady dealings....but when other teams get better players? Crickets.

I've seen / heard similar commentary aimed at St FX and Acadia, and one time I heard about individuals at those programs accusing a top (non-AUS) school of stealing their graduate students. It seems that losing players leads to a lot of accusations.

BUT nobody ever, ever questions the integrity of Alberta ... it's just assumed that all of the top WHL players will go there unless they're from Saskatoon or Winnipeg.

Reactions: Rob and FreddyFoyle

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Sure, sure.

I've typed this so many times: all schools have the same maximum pot for AFA's (sports scholarships). Ontario shoots themselves in the foot by setting a limit below the max. UNB does its best to fund-raise the money to try to max its AFA pot; few schools manage to pull this off, but schools in the AUS certainly try. UNB does not have a varsity football team to bleed cash. Hockey is a big deal at UNB, like football to Laval and basketball to Carleton. In summary, individual hockey players can't get more than the max AFA at UNB, but probably more of them are getting the max compared to less well financed programs.

And if you ask the players, its about the rings. Right now, playing for UNB or Alberta gives you the best chance to play for and win the University Cup. And is also gives you arguably the better chance to get a pro hockey job after university.
I think that Anderson summed it up best on twitter a couple of nights ago when he shot down a tweet about money talks, when he posted a pic of his three rings and said "More like rings talk"

denislemieuxchiefs

Apr 2, 2020
I think that Anderson summed it up best on twitter a couple of nights ago when he shot down a tweet about money talks, when he posted a pic of his three rings and said "More like rings talk"

Cocky would've been the appropriate word. Let's take a look at Anderson's bank account just a sec. You can definitely add "money" after talk. The only thing that changed Carson's mind ... is money. Don't @ME, I know you guys won't say the opposite; this is your team.

Haha not at all. It just amuses me that when UNB gets any player (they don’t even have to have big numbers), it’s always because of some shady dealings....but when other teams get better players? Crickets.

"no big numbers"... dude got 3 seasons of 50 points. He would be a 1st or 2nd line in 5 of the 6 teams. Talk to UPEI to see if a 50 points guy would be a "guy with no big numbers".

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Out of 104 overage forwards available, UNB has recruited guys that ranked 5th, 23rd, 49th, and 54th in scoring.

Their defenceman ranked 20th in scoring out of 54 players.

People make it seem they are getting the top five players every year.

All this supposed money didn’t seem to do them any good last summer when they couldn’t recruit a single overage forward...missing out on their top 5-6 targets.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
BUT nobody ever, ever questions the integrity of Alberta ... it's just assumed that all of the top WHL players will go there unless they're from Saskatoon or Winnipeg.

I don't want to get Bob going, but I have heard rumblings that even though some of Alberta's degree programs are difficult to get into, some of the programs that some of the Alberta players enroll in are not of the same calibre.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I don't want to get Bob going, but I have heard rumblings that even though some of Alberta's degree programs are difficult to get into, some of the programs that some of the Alberta players enroll in are not of the same calibre.

This is 100% true. It's called "Open Studies" Open Studies | Office of the Registrar

To be fair to Alberta, most large public universities have a similar program. These are designed to give adults the opportunity to take a limited number of university courses, either for personal / professional development, or as an opportunity to prove themselves in a university setting (and thus get admission into a degree program). This is especially important for adults who may not have been studious in high school (hello, Major Junior hockey players).

Alberta is a great university, but you'll notice the Golden Bears always have a couple of Open Studies players on their roster.

denislemieuxchiefs

Apr 2, 2020
Out of 104 overage forwards available, UNB has recruited guys that ranked 5th, 23rd, 49th, and 54th in scoring.

Their defenceman ranked 20th in scoring out of 54 players.

People make it seem they are getting the top five players every year.

All this supposed money didn’t seem to do them any good last summer when they couldn’t recruit a single overage forward...missing out on their top 5-6 targets.

Missing out on their top 5-6 targets. Really ? They were 11 forwards, they signed Gilmore (former NHL draft pick). Where would you put the other “targets” ? They got Hawerchuck from the ECHL and Connor Hall (former NHL 3rd round pick - D) at Christmas, Benjamin Gagne (D) + Sam Harvey (G).

Are you still wondering where the money went ?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Missing out on their top 5-6 targets. Really ? They were 11 forwards, they signed Gilmore (former NHL draft pick). Where would you put the other “targets” ? They got Hawerchuck from the ECHL and Connor Hall (former NHL 3rd round pick - D) at Christmas, Benjamin Gagne (D) + Sam Harvey (G).

Are you still wondering where the money went ?

Yes, they did not recruit a single overage forward last summer even though they only had 11 forwards on the roster, so obviously they were trying to add at least a couple guys. Only Gagne (D), Harvey (G), and Lauzon (D) committed in the summer.

They were interested in Balmas (SMU), Salinitri (Windsor), Hancock (Brock before pro), Maksimovich (UPEI), and Chiodo (Italy), all of whom decided to go elsewhere.

They had to scramble in late summer and got lucky when Gilmour looked like he may have been an odd-man out in Saginaw’s overage situation and decided to go the school route. Yes, he is a former draft pick and had a very good rookie season, but he was only 0.58 PPG player in junior and I wouldn’t say he was viewed as a blue chip recruit or anything like the guys above were.

The fact that they had to bring in someone with junior eligibility remaining, which I have never see them do before (and they doubled down on that as Seitz also found himself in the same situation in Moncton) leads me to believe they struck out on all of their overage forward targets.

Last edited:

denislemieuxchiefs

Apr 2, 2020
They were interested in Balmas (SMU), Salintri (Windsor), Hancock (Brock before pro), Maksimovich (UPEI), and Chiodo (Italy), all of whom decided to go elsewhere.

They had to scramble in late summer and got lucky when Gilmour looked like he may have been an odd-man out in Saginaw’s overage situation and decided to go the school route. Yes, he is a former draft pick and had a very good rookie season, but he was only 0.58 PPG player in junior and I wouldn’t say he was viewed as a blue chip recruit or anything like the guys above were.

Got injured at 18 after a good 17 yo season. Put 40 points as a 19 and got 18 in 17 in his playoffs run last year. Far from being a cucumber IMO.

But I get it. Like I said, this is your team - fine. I’m a neutral AUS fan but sorry if I said the things everyone’s thinking ($).

Cheers.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Is it possible that UNB is somehow funneling money to players in a nefarious way? I suppose. But let's not kid ourselves, this isn't the NCAA, complete with booster bucks.

The AUS is has always been the most financially beneficial league. UNB has been the most successful at maximizing their allotted AFA monies. It's cheaper to live in Fredericton than it is to live in Halifax. UNB's fan support is the best in the country (ask any OUA player what the adjustment was like going from 5500 fans to 250). And, IIRC, UNB offers a lot of camp employment opportunities for players.

Maybe their players are making out the best financially, but that doesn't mean they're breaking rules.

Reactions: Prov1X

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
AUS Update....

ACADIA (22 skaters on roster last season)
(ADDITIONS)
Tyler Hinam
Cole Rafuse
Peyton Hoyt
Nick Deakin-Poot
Reilly Webb

(GONE)
Liam Maaskant - eligibility
Alexander Lepkowski - eligibility

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Marc McNulty - graduation
Stephen Harper - graduation

-------------------------------------------------------------------

UNB (22 skaters on roster last season)
(ADDITIONS)
Austen Keating
Jason Wilms
Nicolas Guay
MacAuley Carson
Kade Landry

(GONE)
Stephen Anderson - eligibility
Marcus McIvor - eligibility
Patrick Watling - eligibility
Mark Simpson - graduation
Matt Murphy - graduation

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Oliver Cooper

DALHOUSIE (22 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Derek Gentile
Darien Kielb
Josh Wainman
Christian Huntley
Shaun Miller
Ethan O'Rourke

(GONE)
Jesse Lussier - eligibility
Colton Hefley - eligibility/pro
Zachary Taylor - pro
Kelly Bent - graduation

(POTENTIAL GONE)

SAINT MARY'S (22 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Walter Flower
Cedric Ralph
Caelan McPhee
Jake Durham
Ben Higgins
Matthew Welsh (g)
Will Barber
Bradey Johnson

(GONE)
Marc Therriault (g) - eligibility
Austyn Hardie - eligibility
Anthony Repaci - eligibility
John Mullaly - eligibility

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Stephen Johnson - graduation
Adam Bateman - graduation
Eric Brassard (g) - graduation
Connor McGlynn - graduation
Dylan DiPerna - graduation
Noah Zilbert - graduation

MONCTON (21 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Yann-Félix Lapointe
Felix Robert
Émile Samson (g)
Rémy Anglehart
Denis Toner
William Basque
Mika Cyr

(GONE)
Robbie Graham - eligibility
Alex Noel - eligibility
Jeremy Hannah - eligibility
Alexis Roy - graduation

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Max St.Cyr
Alexi Thibodeau (g)

St. FX (21 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Brandon Clavelle
Ethan Crossman
Conner Bruggen-Cate
Leif Mattson
Patty Kyte
Matthew Phillips
Dallas Farrell

(GONE)
Mark Tremaine - eligibility/pro
Cole MacDonald - pro
Bryson Cianfrone - pro
Sam Studnicka - graduation/transfer
Matt Needham - graduation/transfer

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Marcus Cuomo - graduation
Justin LaForest (g) - graduation
Regan Spears - graduation
Matthew Graham - graduation
Mitchell Wheaton - graduation
Anthony Difruscia - graduation

UPEI (24 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Shane Farkas (g)
Carson Mackinnon
Reagan O’Grady
Brodie MacArthur

(GONE)
Chad Labelle - eligibility
Simon Hofley (g) - eligibility
Kameron Kielly - pro

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Bobby Zinkan - graduation
Nathan Yetman - graduation
Riley Whittingham - graduation

Last edited:
Reactions: AUS Fan

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
AUS Update....
ACADIA (22 skaters on roster last season)
(ADDITIONS)
Tyler Hinam
Cole Rafuse
Peyton Hoyt
Nick Deakin-Poot

(GONE)
Liam Maaskant - eligibility
Alexander Lepkowski - eligibility

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Marc McNulty - graduation
Stephen Harper - graduation

UNB (22 skaters on roster last season)
(ADDITIONS)
Austen Keating
Jason Wilms
Nicolas Guay
MacAuley Carson
Kade Landry

(GONE)
Stephen Anderson - eligibility
Marcus McIvor - eligibility
Patrick Watling - eligibility
Mark Simpson - graduation
Matt Murphy - graduation

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Oliver Cooper

DALHOUSIE (22 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Derek Gentile
Darien Kielb
Josh Wainman
Christian Huntley
Shaun Miller
Ethan O'Rourke

(GONE)
Jesse Lussier - eligibility
Colton Hefley - eligibility/pro
Zachary Taylor - pro
Kelly Bent - graduation

(POTENTIAL GONE)

SAINT MARY'S (22 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Walter Flower
Cedric Ralph
Caelan McPhee
Jake Durham
Ben Higgins
Matthew Welsh (g)
Will Barber
Bradey Johnson

(GONE)
Marc Therriault (g) - eligibility
Austyn Hardie - eligibility
Anthony Repaci - eligibility
John Mullaly - eligibility

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Stephen Johnson - graduation
Adam Bateman - graduation
Eric Brassard (g) - graduation
Connor McGlynn - graduation
Dylan DiPerna - graduation
Noah Zilbert - graduation

MONCTON (21 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Yann-Félix Lapointe
Felix Robert
Émile Samson (g)
Rémy Anglehart
Denis Toner
William Basque
Mika Cyr

(GONE)
Robbie Graham - eligibility
Alex Noel - eligibility
Jeremy Hannah - eligibility
Alexis Roy - graduation

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Max St.Cyr
Alexi Thibodeau (g)

St. FX (21 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Brandon Clavelle
Ethan Crossman
Conner Bruggen-Cate
Leif Mattson
Patty Kyte
Matthew Phillips
Dallas Farrell

(GONE)
Mark Tremaine - eligibility/pro
Cole MacDonald - pro
Bryson Cianfrone - pro
Sam Studnicka - graduation/transfer
Matt Needham - graduation/transfer

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Marcus Cuomo - graduation
Justin LaForest (g) - graduation
Regan Spears - graduation
Matthew Graham - graduation
Mitchell Wheaton - graduation
Anthony Difruscia - graduation

UPEI (24 skaters on roster last season)
(ADD)
Shane Farkas (g)
Carson Mackinnon
Reagan O’Grady
Brodie MacArthur

(GONE)
Chad Labelle - eligibility
Simon Hofley (g) - eligibility
Kameron Kielly - pro

(POTENTIAL GONE)
Bobby Zinkan - graduation
Nathan Yetman - graduation
Riley Whittingham - graduation

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Per Findlay Twitter: Hearing we'll likely see goaltender Dylan Myskiw of the London Knights stay local with a commitment to the Western Mustangs, per sources.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad