2020 Tokyo Olympics thread

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Gilles has been excellent. Pretty shaky on the ball, but she's been great defensively.

I don't disagree that Sinclair is still clearly the best finisher and probably the most composed on the ball out of the attacking players available (although I think Fleming can carry out a similar role just as well while also doing the running that Sinclair simply cannot do anymore), but I think they're best served playing defensively compact and looking for small opportunities to punish Swedish mistakes. Tweaking the system a little and bringing in Huitema (mostly just to run, I'm not expecting much else from her) as a 9 while bumping Fleming to a 10 spot in a 4231 probably serves that better (in the 2nd half they basically collapsed to this with Sinclair as the 9 after the pen). Maybe I'm being overly cynical about their chances playing anything other than negative football against Sweden.
Zadorsky was a mess defensively for the national team, so Gilles is such a nice contrast.

The good news is that Sweden plays some pretty defensive football themselves, so it could be a matter of who converts their few chances.

Reactions: JayE and oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Kinda amusing how the CBC website streams everything except for Handball, for some reason.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Just had a look at the bracket for Women's Beach Volleyball. The 2 Canadian teams would meet in a semifinal, so the best would be a gold and a bronze. Would've liked it if they had put them on different sides but I guess it would look bad if Canada finished 1-2.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just had a look at the bracket for Women's Beach Volleyball. The 2 Canadian teams would meet in a semifinal, so the best would be a gold and a bronze. Would've liked it if they had put them on different sides but I guess it would look bad if Canada finished 1-2.
I believe Pavan used to be partners with Barnsley, so it'll be interesting if they actually do end up meeting in that matchup. I assume Pavan left Barnsley to find a better partner, and she kind of did, there could be some grudges there...

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Watching the sailing, the commentators were saying that the Finn class was the oldest boat in the Olympics (since 1948) but this was the last time they'd be sailed in a games.

Captain Fantastic

Cpt. Fallustina
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Favorite events thus far:
1) Swimming - all events were interesting- except the super long races.
2) Track and Field- All the running events have been quite good. (3000m Steeplechase is such an oddball :laugh:)
3) Rowing, Canoe, Kayak- only if a Canadian is in contention- Women's 8 was fantastic
4) Water polo has been surprisingly entertaining to watch.
5) Softball - was fun watching the bronze medal game which surprised me since I hate baseball.
6) Boxing and Judo have been entertaining too. Taekwondo and wrestling ..not so much
7) Men's Cycling race at the start of the games was good.
8) Weightlifting - watched a bit- not bad
9) Soccer- Good to see our girls win but damn is that sport is such a bore.
10) Woman's beach volleyball .. very entertaining. ( yes, attractive women but fun to watch too) -didn't watch the Men's at all..:laugh:

Hope I never see skateboarding or surfing in the Olympics again.

What have other's been watching thus far that they've enjoyed? Disliked?

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Favorite events thus far:
1) Swimming - all events were interesting- except the super long races.
2) Track and Field- All the running events have been quite good. (3000m Steeplechase is such an oddball :laugh:)
3) Rowing, Canoe, Kayak- only if a Canadian is in contention- Women's 8 was fantastic
4) Water polo has been surprisingly entertaining to watch.
5) Softball - was fun watching the bronze medal game which surprised me since I hate baseball.
6) Boxing and Judo have been entertaining too. Taekwondo and wrestling ..not so much
7) Men's Cycling race at the start of the games was good.
8) Weightlifting - watched a bit- not bad
9) Soccer- Good to see our girls win but damn is that sport is such a bore.
10) Woman's beach volleyball .. very entertaining. ( yes, attractive women but fun to watch too) -didn't watch the Men's at all..:laugh:

Hope I never see skateboarding or surfing in the Olympics again.

What have other's been watching thus far that they've enjoyed? Disliked?

Football, softball, diving, rowing, sailing, running, golf (although mostly listening and between events), canoe/kayak (but not the rapids much), some baseball. Not much after 4 AM as I sit back in the recliner and sleep,

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Wow. Demark was firmly in the lead in Men's Team Pursuit. A Great Britain rider had dropped way back of the other two remaining racers when the lead Danish rider ran up the backside, crashing both. Denmark was assured of a spot in the gold medal race. But they quit while GB kept their fourth rider available and he finished the race. Now, GB is assured of a medal when they were done and gone.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Wow. Demark was firmly in the lead in Men's Team Pursuit. A Great Britain rider had dropped way back of the other two remaining racers when the lead Danish rider ran up the backside, crashing both. Denmark was assured of a spot in the gold medal race. But they quit while GB kept their fourth rider available and he finished the race. Now, GB is assured of a medal when they were done and gone.

The officials changed their minds and awarded the Danes the qualification to the final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->