WJC: 2020 Team Sweden Roster Talk

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Also I cannot see how Ginning does not make the team since he went last year. I think Björnfot and Söderström should be on the team ahead of him, but the Swedish management on all levels seem quite loyal to whomever they perceive as "their guy".

Ginnig will be there. Someone has to play defence.

Also F. Johnsson is a good bet to make the roster. He’s a 19 (almost 20 year old, like Sandin) 1st round pick who plays in the SHL. Since Lundqvist can play LD they could slot him on the right as well.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Small aside, but unless Dahlin comes then technically everyone is not available ;)

Also I cannot see how Ginning does not make the team since he went last year. I think Björnfot and Söderström should be on the team ahead of him, but the Swedish management on all levels seem quite loyal to whomever they perceive as "their guy".
Believe me I know about Dahlin, just look at my profile pic. I love that guy. Obviously I was referring to the guys I was listing, but I think you knew that ;)
And I'm sure that Ginning will be on the team too. I think it's between him, Björnfot and Söderström for that last spot on the ice right now. Ginning is good and pretty solid, but both Söderberg and Björnfot are simply better imo.
P.S I think Norlinder has a good chance too.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Ginnig will be there. Someone has to play defence.

Also F. Johnsson is a good bet to make the roster. He’s a 19 (almost 20 year old, like Sandin) 1st round pick who plays in the SHL. Since Lundqvist can play LD they could slot him on the right as well.
Honestly Ginning is not obviusly that much better defensively than the names listen. But like previously said, Ginning seems favoured by the coaching team.
Filip Johansson has not lived up to the expectations.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Wjc could be a disaster for sweden.

We are simply not producing top forwards anymore as is painfully evident if we look at forwards in NHL under 25 (!) years of age: This is chocking. We think that two 18-year olds is going to save us. Boustedt hides under women's hockey debate.

1. Victor Olofsson (LW/RW) Buffalo Sabres 6 5 2 7 1.17 2 -1
2. André Burakovsky (LW/RW) Colorado Avalanche 5 2 3 5 1.00 4 3
3. William Nylander (RW) Toronto Maple Leafs 7 2 3 5 0.71 0 0
4. Oskar Lindblom (LW) Philadelphia Flyers 3 2 1 3 1.00 0 1
5. Jacob de la Rose (LW/C) Detroit Red Wings 5 1 2 3 0.60 0 4
6. Jesper Bratt (LW/RW) New Jersey Devils 6 1 2 3 0.50 0 3
7. Dmytro Timashov (LW/RW) Toronto Maple Leafs 4 0 3 3 0.75 2 0
8. Alexander Nylander (RW/LW) Chicago Blackhawks 3 2 0 2 0.67 0 -1
9. Elias Pettersson (C) Vancouver Canucks 4 1 1 2 0.50 0 0
10. Adrian Kempe (C/W) Los Angeles Kings 5 0 2 2 0.40 0 -5
11. Lucas Wallmark (C) Carolina Hurricanes 6 1 0 1 0.17 2 1
12. Carl Grundström (LW/RW) Los Angeles Kings 1 0 1 1 1.00 0 -1
13. Emil Bemström (RW) Columbus Blue Jackets 5 0 1 1 0.20 0 -3
14. Joel Eriksson Ek (C/W) Minnesota Wild 6 0 1 1 0.17 2 0
15. David Gustafsson (C) Winnipeg Jets 1 0 0 0 0.00 0 0
16. Jesper Boqvist (LW) New Jersey Devils 2 0 0 0 0.00 4 -2
17. Isac Lundeström (C) Anaheim Ducks 3 0 0 0 0.00 0 2
18. Lias Andersson (C/LW) New York Rangers 3 0 0 0 0.00 0 0
19. Christoffer Ehn (C/LW) Detroit Red Wings 5 0 0 0 0.00 0 -4

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Alnefelt
Lindblom
Eliasson

Sandin - Boqvist
Broberg - Lundkvist
Björnfot - Söderström
Ginning (lets face it he will be there)

Fagemo - Gustafsson - Berggren
Holtz - Olofsson - Raymond
Höglander - Pasic - Gunler
Albin Eriksson - Bäck - Holmström
Linus Pettersson

Reactions: Svanstrom

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I agree, but I expect Monten to take him if healthy.

Over who?

There can only be 7 D.

Broberg, Boqvist, Björnfot, Sandin, Söderström, Lundkvist and Ginning is all locks. But personally i would choose Cronholm, Karl Jonsson or Norlinder over Ginning.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Over who?

There can only be 7 D.

Broberg, Boqvist, Björnfot, Sandin, Söderström, Lundkvist and Ginning is all locks. But personally i would choose Cronholm, Karl Jonsson or Norlinder over Ginning.

Not locks at all with this management.
We are simply not producing top forwards anymore as is painfully evident if we look at forwards in NHL under 25 (!) years of age: This is chocking. We think that two 18-year olds is going to save us. Boustedt hides under women's hockey debate.

Said the season when 3 forwards will go in the first round from Sweden, and Fabian Lysell looks like a potential top 10 pick in 2021,

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Not locks at all with this management.

Said the season when 3 forwards will go in the first round from Sweden, and Fabian Lysell looks like a potential top 10 pick in 2021,

Makes us appreciate them even more. BUT, over the course of 7-8 years (up to 25 years of age) Elias P and Nylander are the only lights so far on the senior level. AND, Holtz and Raymond now have Kakko-expectations round them.Of course we should have hope, but the knock on last years team was offense and it's not looking much better this coming WJC. Fagemo, or possibly one of Raymond or Holtz, the possible exception. Gustafsson should be good, too. At least forward will be backed by solid goaltending and great defense. Centre line another strengths. The Canada team might only have one junior forward in NHL this season, Hayton.

This is Kakko-stats from last year when HE was 18:

Liiga 45 22 16 38 10 1
WJC-20 7 2 3 5 0 2
WC 10 6 1 7 0 10

My team:

Fagemo – Olofsson – Holmström
Holtz – Gustafsson – Raymond
Berggren – Bäck – Eriksson
Höglander – Wästfält – Grewe
Gunler or Pasic

Sandin – Boqvist
Broberg – Lundkvist
Ginning – Söderström
Björnfot

Lindblom / Alnefelt / Eliasson

Last edited:

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Makes us appreciate them even more. BUT, over the course of 7-8 years (up to 25 years of age) Elias P and Nylander are the only lights so far on the senior level.

I compare to Finland in the same time period. They have 5 forwards drafted in the top 10. 4 of them are making an impact in the NHL now, and you can throw in Aho who was a second rounder too. They are thought of as a country churning out stars.

The difference is not that great. Sweden is a good draft year away from being on Finland’s level in forward production, while rivaling Canada on top defensemen. I would be more worried of the goalie trend over the past 10 years when comparing to countries like Russia and Finland.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Makes us appreciate them even more. BUT, over the course of 7-8 years (up to 25 years of age) Elias P and Nylander are the only lights so far on the senior level.
Forsberg is only 25 you know. There's also Bratt.

Nybeck will also go in the first round. And Liam Dower Nilsson, & William Eklund too for 2021.

Reactions: AB13

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Forsberg is only 25 you know. There's also Bratt.

Nybeck will also go in the first round. And Liam Dower Nilsson, & William Eklund too for 2021.

Yeah, should have said UNDER 25. Let's count TOP players. Not promising players.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I compare to Finland in the same time period. They have 5 forwards drafted in the top 10. 4 of them are making an impact in the NHL now, and you can throw in Aho who was a second rounder too. They are thought of as a country churning out stars.

The difference is not that great. Sweden is a good draft year away from being on Finland’s level in forward production, while rivaling Canada on top defensemen. I would be more worried of the goalie trend over the past 10 years when comparing to countries like Russia and Finland.

Yeah, one comparison point is Finland but we should produce more than them (by 50% or so). U.S. on the other hand have a far greater number of younger top forwards, a top player might be someone with a cap hit or market value of say 5 million usd a year. Gentzel, Schmaltz, Boeser, Connor, DeBrincat, Tkachuk's, Larkin, Matthews, Eichel etc. Don't think Bratt for example will beat the three million mark on his next contract. Also, NHL is tougher to break into for many younger players.

That aside I think our forwards (more than last year) will benefit from having this super defense we have right now at the junior level where we might have to sit or sa y no thanks to first or second round drafted players (a few of Axel Andersson, Björnfot, Söderström and the Johansson's, all defenders). We also have to dig deep to assemble a forward crew. Might have to use underaged, undersized, decision poor, unskilled and high round drafted players (one or two). Hållanders injury extra painful in this regard. And if someone else is injured, mamma mia...

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Norlinder now leads all defensemen in goals in Allsvenskan, watched him today but hard to get a read on a 5-0 blowout as Modo smoked AIK.

On the other hand poor Oloffson just can't get the offense going as he hasn't been able to get a point in the SHL going back to last season with Timra. He's playing around 12 mins with Skellefteå but still pointless aside from 1 assist in the Champions league games.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Is the difference between the two leagues similar to AHL/NHL? I am trying to gauge Pasic's start to the season.

No, the difference is a million times smaller, it is noticeable but not massive. Allsvenskan is not a designated minor league, Sweden have a promotion and relegation system where the best Allsvenskan teams get promoted to the SHL every year, and the worst SHL teams get relegated to play in the Allsvenskan. Some of the top Allsvenskan teams could probably beat a few SHL teams.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Here are 10 junior aged players in Sweden that have a strong start to this season...

SHL
Nils Lundkvist (D, NYR) - 2G, 6A
Alexander Holtz (2020 draft) - 4G, 2A
Samuel Fagemo (LAK) - 3G, 2A
Jonatan Berggren (DET) - 5A
Nils Höglander (VAN) - 2G, 1A
Noel Gunler (2020) - 1G, 2A
Lucas Raymond (2020) - 1G, 2A

Hugo Alnefelt (G, TBL) - 2-3-0, 8 GA, 1.52 GAA, .937 SV%

Allsvenskan
Nikola Pasic (NJD) - 3G, 7A
Mattias Norlinder (D, MTL) - 6G, 1A

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Nils Åman instead of Gunler.

Hahahaha....
Åman is a center, so this isn't a case of "x over y," no. Considering how dominant his line has been for Leksand in SuperElit it's pretty obvious Åman would get a shot(well, technically another shot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->