WJC: 2020 Team Sweden Roster Talk

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Does it seem like Broberg will get top 4 ice time or will he be relegated to 3rd pairing like in SHL?

He’s likely top 4 to start I think but depending on form/performance that might change.
Sandin will be the top LHD, he should play top pair with Lundkvist though tbh Lundkvist has just been ok when with the junior team, I think he benefits from the more structured pro game. But with his performance in the SHL this year he should still have first dibs on the top pair. Unless Boqvist comes over as well.
After those two Broberg has typically been ahead of Björnfot, Norlinder when they’ve played with the junior NT. Now with Björnfot’s NA success the perspective might have changed but I still think Broberg starts off ahead on the depth chart. Ginning is the tricky one, the coach clearly thinks highly of him, most watching from the outside including me don’t think he should be on the team, I hope they use him strictly as a role player for PK duty and on the bottom pair but he could very well play big minutes.

If Boqvist won’t go it also comes down to who’s more comfortable on his off side since Lundkvist currently is the only right shot. Both Broberg and Norlinder have played a good portion on RD in the past. Don’t know about Björnfot.

With Boqvist I think it’ll be a battle between Broberg and Björnfot for that second LD spot. Without him I think we might see either Björnfot-Broberg(which I would hope for) or Ginning-Broberg on the second pair, however if Björnfot rips it up, the Monten-Ginning lovefest continues and Björnfot is comfortable on RD he might push Broberg out. I really really hope they don’t plan on using Ginning on his off side in the top 4 cause that is a massive mess waiting to happen.

Norlinder doesn’t have much history with the NT so I think he’d have to really come in hot if he’s to play in the top 4.

Edit: should add that Broberg has shown he can absolutely dominate against his peers so I wouldn’t be overly surprised if he ends up higher on the depth chart as the tournament progresses. If I made it sound like he could only hold steady or drop. The most likely scenario is probably around 3/4 on the depth chart but his stock could go either way. Though if Boqvist plays or Lundkvist is his SHL self he’s unlikely to push them down on his off side and Sandin will be the top dog unless he falters brutally.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Does it seem like Broberg will get top 4 ice time or will he be relegated to 3rd pairing like in SHL?

There won't be such thing as a "3rd pairing" or a "nr 1 defenseman" on this team. They will roll all pairs evenly at even strength like they always do. Icetime will largely depend on special teams.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
There won't be such thing as a "3rd pairing" or a "nr 1 defenseman" on this team. They will roll all pairs evenly at even strength like they always do. Icetime will largely depend on special teams.
For sure but they always lean more on two pairings late in games and during playoffs. But yeah swedish coaches never really do much in game coaching.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
They’re in a considerably weaker group, so that should be pretty achievable. However, without medal round success that streak means very little.

Honestly, it would take an arbitrarly large amount of medals to impress me more than that group play streak.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Knock out games between the top countries is basically always a toss up. Sweden has knocked out a lot of good teams over the years. The Malmö tournament is the only time I felt we had the best team.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
So no official word on Rasmus Sandin yet, from what I can tell.

Blackhawks have pevented Dach from going to the WJC, wonder if they’ll stop Boqvist from attending as well. I am hopeful Sandin, Boqvist, and Dobson can all attend, Swedish and Canadian D would be so much better than the field if they are all made available.

Reactions: Wings4Life

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
So no official word on Rasmus Sandin yet, from what I can tell.

Blackhawks have pevented Dach from going to the WJC, wonder if they’ll stop Boqvist from attending as well. I am hopeful Sandin, Boqvist, and Dobson can all attend, Swedish and Canadian D would be so much better than the field if they are all made available.

Is Sandin back in the NHL? The NHL and IIHF has an agreement to let players attend the tournament if they play in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad