WJC: 2020 Team Russia

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Nikita Rozhkov, who was one of the top guys at the 4 Nations tournament has been injured and is likely out of the WJC.

Additionally Nikita Okhotyuk has been injured too, no word on the timeline for his return though.

Reactions: greasysnapper

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Zavgorodniy will be out for 8-12 weeks after sustaining a broken collarbone yesterday.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Spiridonov has been really hot in the MHL recently and its now looking like hes been called up to the K. Does he stand any chance of sneaking into the roster?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Spiridonov has been really hot in the MHL recently and its now looking like hes been called up to the K. Does he stand any chance of sneaking into the roster?

With Zav injured for a prolonged time, it's possible, but it's not really an opening down the middle-- but I think you could easily just put Spiridonov on the wing and play with multiple C's on a line. I hope he gets into some KHL games in the next week, I think if he does, and he looks good against men, he'll increase his chances.

I think the one thing that helps him is he's a really good C with some size, and quite frankly I think just like last year this team's a little weak down the middle.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, they can reunite Dorofeyev, Sheshin and Spiridonov on the team. There won't be any problems with chemistry between them for sure, and Sheshin looks good in the MHL this year.

Reactions: greasysnapper

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
I hope a guy like dimitri voronkov will have a chance to prove himself. He has the puck skills to create space and occasionally flash top-end skill. He is not afraid to engage in physical play.

LiamMac

Feb 19, 2015
Names are clickable and linked to their eliteprospects page.

Attachments

• wjcrussia.pdf
    173.8 KB · Views: 20

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I hope a guy like dimitri voronkov will have a chance to prove himself. He has the puck skills to create space and occasionally flash top-end skill. He is not afraid to engage in physical play.

I like Voronkov, but I also see that he still hasn't recovered from the injury and it is quite worrysome to me. I mean, the camp likely will start in just about two weeks.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
3 very solid KHL starters we're going to have on the blue line. Plus two great keepers.

I think, our defense will suck, because it's the way these things usually work at U20 tournaments. You think, you have a great defense, and then... oh, well.

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
3 very solid KHL starters we're going to have on the blue line. Plus two great keepers.

I think, our defense will suck, because it's what these things usually work at U20 tournaments. You think, you have a great defense, and then... oh, well.

Could be, but on paper this is probably the 2nd best blueline in the tourny behind Canada's. Zamula is very very good, and he probably won't even be on the top 2 pairings. That kind of depth is hard to beat. This team is going to be hard to play offense against and will be well defended.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Could be, but on paper this is probably the 2nd best blueline in the tourny behind Canada's. Zamula is very very good, and he probably won't even be on the top 2 pairings. That kind of depth is hard to beat. This team is going to be hard to play offense against and will be well defended.

Better than Sweden?

Adam Boqvist
Rasmus Sandin
Philip Broberg
Victor Söderström
Tobias Björnfot
Nils Lundkvist

etc etc

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Better than Sweden?

Adam Boqvist
Rasmus Sandin
Philip Broberg
Victor Söderström
Tobias Björnfot
Nils Lundkvist

etc etc

I LOVE Sweden's defense from a prospect perspective. There's 6 future NHL blueliners there. Can't say that about Russia's blueline. Check out all the love I've given to Bjornfot; I am a huge fan. But I don't think from a tourny perspective they have what Canada or Russia have after the two big boys in Sandin and Boqvist, and that's big time 19 year olds; development time matters, it's most definitely a 19 year old tourny, and I just like where Russia's d are at right now. In no way am I saying they'll have a bad d, or that those players won't have an an NHL impact. I'm purely talking about what I project for the end of December and early January in this tournament. We'll see though!

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I LOVE Sweden's defense from a prospect perspective. There's 6 future NHL blueliners there. Can't say that about Russia's blueline. Check out all the love I've given to Bjornfot; I am a huge fan. But I don't think from a tourny perspective they have what Canada or Russia have after the two big boys in Sandin and Boqvist, and that's big time 19 year olds; development time matters, it's most definitely a 19 year old tourny, and I just like where Russia's d are at right now. In no way am I saying they'll have a bad d, or that those players won't have an an NHL impact. I'm purely talking about what I project for the end of December and early January in this tournament. We'll see though!

I gather that you think Russia's blue line will be bigger, older, have more pro games, better professional experience playing in a better professional environment, however I don't know if I necessarily agree.

Sweden will probably have 4 2000 born returners from their blue line, all of which are playing professional hockey. They'll also likely have a 2001 born returnee who is playing professional hockey. Their 6th and 7th defensemen are likely to be Soderstrom and Bjornfot, a guy with two seasons in a row as an SHL regular and a guy who was playing NHL games earlier this season and is doing well in the AHL. The Russian defensemen that play regularly in the KHL face better competition than the Swedes in the SHL and AHL, but they aren't going to suit up 7 KHL regulars.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
I would say that Sweden's defence is the best in the tournament.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Still think the bottom 6 is up for grabs. Mansurov looks like a player and hasn't been mentioned here. I could see him sliding into a spot. I also think Spirodonov is worth a look, maybe to play a Fazleev type role. And I wouldn't be surprised if Sokolov sneaks in but to me he's got a worse chance than the first 2 I mentioned, who I don't have much confidence in making unless there are injuries. My thought though is they need some size on that back of the lineup. Really like Kommisarov, he's not overly big but he's a worker. I could see him being heavily relied upon. What ever happened to the stud C's eh? Seems like the past few years have been bleak down the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad