WC: 2020 Team Canada Roster

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018

If true, and if he doesn't land another gig between now and then, could be our coach in May. would be a solid choice.

I actually don't think Gallant is a good choice. He strikes me as a "Try Harder" kind of coach, instead of someone who actually puts the game under a microscope to see what technical and strategic things might work better than the present formula. Truthfully, I don't hold most NHL coaches in high esteem: with few exceptions, they are not exactly bright lights. Aren't there any bright coaches in Europe? Why does Hockey Canada always go the same tired route? Perhaps NHL players respect an NHL coach more than someone else, but a lot of NHL coaches make poor coaches in the international game (some make poor coaches, period).

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I actually don't think Gallant is a good choice. He strikes me as a "Try Harder" kind of coach, instead of someone who actually puts the game under a microscope to see what technical and strategic things might work better than the present formula. Truthfully, I don't hold most NHL coaches in high esteem: with few exceptions, they are not exactly bright lights. Aren't there any bright coaches in Europe? Why does Hockey Canada always go the same tired route? Perhaps NHL players respect an NHL coach more than someone else, but a lot of NHL coaches make poor coaches in the international game (some make poor coaches, period).

He was an assistant coach on the '07 gold medal winning team in Moscow. That team has a special place in my memory banks as I was there in attendance. As far as I know that's his only international experience. so, I'm fine with him getting a shot as the HC.

Ralph Kruger would be another good choice. He was the genius behind the Sochi gold medal.

Why not give Todd McLennan another shot...pretty average NHL coaching career but delivered the most dominating Team Canada performance at the World Championships in the modern era. Who saw that coming?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Mclellan would be a fine choice to coach Team Canada at the Worlds. Despite his performance with the Kings he's still a decent coach.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
roster update. light on 1st. rd. playoff editions this week, only FL, NYI and ARZ are the additions.

J Huberdeau M Scheifele N Suzuki (best way to protect the rookie is give him arguably the team's best C/LWer as line mates. worth a looksee)
C Giroux S Couturier T Konecny
M Duchene A Beauvillier R Johansen
M Faligno P Danault B Gallagher
K Dach
A Lafreniere

T Chabot B Burns
J Morrissey M Dumba
T Sanheim A Ekblad
B Chiarot D Fabbro

D Kuemper
C Hart
?????

still waiting for Drouin to come off IR.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
alright boys and girls. with the good news that the NHL and IOC are making progress on a NHL return to zeee Olympics, it's time we emphasize the U24 players on these WHC rosters as auditions for the big boys team in 2022. but not exclusively.

same rules apply: non-playoff teams and projected early 1st. rd. exits and not RFA/UFA

in bold are the 5 players that have all but earned a spot to make their big tournament debuts in 2022.

Who knows what's going to happen. The NHL could move the goalposts and insist the IOC include gimmicky teams to their Olympic tournament. Team North America Young Gunz. Olympic edition.

J Huberdeau N MacKinnon M Marner
A Beauvillier S Couturier T Konecny
J Drouin B Horvat N Suzuki
P Danault R Johansen D Batherson
K Dach A Lafreniere

T Chabot B Burns
S Theodore C Makar
J Morrissey A Ekblad
T Sanheim D Fabbro

D Kuemper
C Hart

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
alright boys and girls. with the good news that the NHL and IOC are making progress on a NHL return to zeee Olympics, it's time we emphasize the U24 players on these WHC rosters as auditions for the big boys team in 2022. but not exclusively.

same rules apply: non-playoff teams and projected early 1st. rd. exits and not RFA/UFA

in bold are the 5 players that have all but earned a spot to make their big tournament debuts in 2022.

Who knows what's going to happen. The NHL could move the goalposts and insist the IOC include gimmicky teams to their Olympic tournament. Team North America Young Gunz. Olympic edition.

J Huberdeau N MacKinnon M Marner
A Beauvillier S Couturier T Konecny
J Drouin B Horvat N Suzuki
P Danault R Johansen D Batherson
K Dach A Lafreniere

T Chabot B Burns
S Theodore C Makar
J Morrissey A Ekblad
T Sanheim D Fabbro

D Kuemper
C Hart

That's the ideal sort of team for this event. Good luck with Johansen though.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
That's the ideal sort of team for this event. Good luck with Johansen though.

yeah, he must play ping pong with Doughty in the offseason up at the cottage.

at least Doughty has earned the right to give this tournament the finger. but oh well. We'll see how the season ends and who does/doesn't accept the invite.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I wonder what players go to the Worlds this year for Canada. If the Oilers miss the playoffs I can't see Mcdavid going, I think he'll use the offseason to rest. A guy like Marner may go if Toronto doesn't make the playoffs.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I wonder what players go to the Worlds this year for Canada. If the Oilers miss the playoffs I can't see Mcdavid going, I think he'll use the offseason to rest. A guy like Marner may go if Toronto doesn't make the playoffs.

If it's not the Olympics, and possibly a legit World Cup Team Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid never plays another international game again.

and that would be a shame...

Hopefully the next phenom comes by in the not too distant future.

Reactions: tony d

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If it's not the Olympics, and possibly a legit World Cup Team Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid never plays another international game again.

That's quite possible, but at least McDavid had the chance to play and win with Crosby and the big boys at the 2016 World Cup and 2018 Olympics.

jaro

Mar 31, 2018

i dont think so, he is 23 years old young man, IIHF WC is happening every year, and he loves to play hockey. Edmnton is not so strong to play playoff all years. I think Connor will play on minimal 3 IIHF WC in future.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, I think Mcdavid will play another World Championship for sure. With Toronto playing not so well at the moment I think Marner and Tavares will both be playing for Team Canada this year.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Yeah, I think Mcdavid will play another World Championship for sure. With Toronto playing not so well at the moment I think Marner and Tavares will both be playing for Team Canada this year.
Its good for all hockey fans ) I want Russia-Canada gold final game)
Russia in this year bring very decent team )

My predictions this rosters .. .

Russia

Shestyorkin,Georgiev

Gusev-Shipachyov-Dadonov
Panarin-Anisimov- Svechnikov
Buchenivich- Grigorenko- Kaprizov
Mikheyev(if he recover)-Semyonov-Tkachev

Voinov- Zub
Nesterov-Kulikov
Zaytsev-ZADOROV OR GAVRIKOV
Lyubushkin

vs Canada

Huberdeau Tavares Marner
Hoffman Towes Scheifele
Duchene Couture MacKinnon
N Suzuki Horvat Danault

Chabot Burns
Theodore C Makar
Morrissey Ekblad
Morgan Rielly (if he recover)

Blackwood
Hart

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Its good for all hockey fans ) I want Russia-Canada gold final game)
Russia in this year bring very decent team )

My predictions this rosters .. .

Russia

Shestyorkin,Georgiev

Gusev-Shipachyov-Dadonov
Panarin-Anisimov- Svechnikov
Buchenivich- Grigorenko- Kaprizov
Mikheyev(if he recover)-Semyonov-Tkachev

Voinov- Zub
Nesterov-Kulikov
Zaytsev-ZADOROV OR GAVRIKOV
Lyubushkin

vs Canada

Huberdeau Tavares Marner
Hoffman Towes Scheifele
Duchene Couture MacKinnon
N Suzuki Horvat Danault

Chabot Burns
Theodore C Makar
Morrissey Ekblad
Morgan Rielly (if he recover)

Blackwood
Hart

If the Avs do make an early playoff exit and MacKinnon accepts an invite and is on a roster that looks like the one you propose, he's numero uno center. Number one. it would be a waste of talent to have him 3rd. line RW.

Huberdeau MacKinnon Scheifele
Duchene Tavares Marner
Coutour Towes Suzuki

would be my 3 top lines.

but we shall see where it goes.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Looks very unlikely there'll be a tourney this spring, so I just may have to retitle the thread to 2021 roster projections.

stay tuned for updates.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad