WC: 2020 Team Canada Roster

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
comprised of players from non-playoff teams and 1st. rd. exits.

+ 2 players (MacKinnon/Makar) joining on the eve of the tournament after a grueling 7 game series with the Stanley Cup Champs.

J Huberdeau C McDavid M Scheifele
C Giroux N MacKinnon M Marner
A Beauvillier B Horvat T Konecny
P Danault S Couturier R Johansen
A lafrienere D Batherson

T Chabot D Hamilton
J Morrissey C Makar
D Nurse A Ekblad
B Chiarot D Fabbro

C Hart
C Talbot
?????? (best Canadian goaltender playing in Europe)

I'd like to see Lafreniere get and accept the invite, but understandable if he just opts to prep for the draft. Thanks for the World Junior Gold and tourney MVP. See you in Minsk in 2021.

Sam Steel/K Dach are two 1st.2nd.year players to fill out the roster.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Don't see Mcdavid attending this year, he will want some rest I think.

a lot of the roster is just wishful thinking on my part. difficult not to include some of my favorite players if I have a hunch they'll be available.

As was the case last year, the roster was laughed at and written off pre-tourney, but a lot of them performed beyond expectation. except for Dylan Strome...who was his typical useless self in a Team Canada jersey. The good news this year is that both Strome brothers are RFAs this off season. so, no invites for them.

I said after last year's tournament that I'll never criticize player selection again for this tournament. You never know how the team is going to gel. A team of AHLers with a few Euro based players can win the tournament if properly coached and motivated. and a team of NHL 1st. liners can be bounced in the quarters if all they're interested in is a European spring vacation for the wife and kids.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
a lot of the roster is just wishful thinking on my part. difficult not to include some of my favorite players if I have a hunch they'll be available.

As was the case last year, the roster was laughed at and written off pre-tourney, but a lot of them performed beyond expectation. except for Dylan Strome...who was his typical useless self in a Team Canada jersey. The good news this year is that both Strome brothers are RFAs this off season. so, no invites for them.

I said after last year's tournament that I'll never criticize player selection again for this tournament. You never know how the team is going to gel. A team of AHLers with a few Euro based players can win the tournament if properly coached and motivated. and a team of NHL 1st. liners can be bounced in the quarters if all they're interested in is a European spring vacation for the wife and kids.
Agreed.

Didn't we win a bronze with only European based and AHL players the strike lost season? I think Andrew Mckim was our leading scorer.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

We have last year's Finn's and the 2010 Czechs to show that anyone can win this tourney. I remember France had an awesome run a few years ago too. Plus the first Swiss run was uncanny.. then they kept doing it over and over till it wasn't uncanny at all.lol

My early fav is Colorado to win Cup... so I'm not seeing MacKinnon/Makar going. If they get healthy and have all hands on deck they are beautifully built to take the West. Curious if my Oil make it? I can't imagine anyone could stop a pissed off Connor McDavid if he does go. Poor guy is playing out of this world and still might not get into a wildcard spot.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I see Chabot there as Ottawa is terrible and he's a big fan of international hockey. Other than that it's hard to say. I'd like them to go after Domi. Drouin as well if he gets healthy. If Florida misses the playoffs or goes out in the first round I will be curious to see what happens with Huberdeau. Something seems to be strange between him and Hockey Canada over the last few years. I'll also make a longshot prediction: Hockey Canada will add Ian Mitchell to the roster. He's having a good year in the NCAA, Hockey Canada added him to the Spengler Cup roster over his Christmas break, he's worn a letter in the WJC recently. His situation reminds me of Fabbro last year.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
We have last year's Finn's and the 2010 Czechs to show that anyone can win this tourney. I remember France had an awesome run a few years ago too. Plus the first Swiss run was uncanny.. then they kept doing it over and over till it wasn't uncanny at all.lol

My early fav is Colorado to win Cup... so I'm not seeing MacKinnon/Makar going. If they get healthy and have all hands on deck they are beautifully built to take the West. Curious if my Oil make it? I can't imagine anyone could stop a pissed off Connor McDavid if he does go. Poor guy is playing out of this world and still might not get into a wildcard spot.

that would be my preferred option for Nate and Cale.

and in the event the Avs do dethrone the Champs, then that sort of settles Team Canada's goaltending, I'll just add Binnington, ROR, Schwartz and Paryako to the roster. If Colton is not out on LTIR. perhaps even Robert Thomas as well. Dunn would be a good addition as well, but he's an RFA. There are a boatload of RFAs/UFAs this year. for Team Canada anyway. not sure what the situation is for other teams.

As for McDavid...wherever he wishes to display his particular genius, that's fine by me. I'll tune in to watch, be it NHL playoffs or international.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I see Chabot there as Ottawa is terrible and he's a big fan of international hockey. Other than that it's hard to say. I'd like them to go after Domi. Drouin as well if he gets healthy. If Florida misses the playoffs or goes out in the first round I will be curious to see what happens with Huberdeau. Something seems to be strange between him and Hockey Canada over the last few years. I'll also make a longshot prediction: Hockey Canada will add Ian Mitchell to the roster. He's having a good year in the NCAA, Hockey Canada added him to the Spengler Cup roster over his Christmas break, he's worn a letter in the WJC recently. His situation reminds me of Fabbro last year.

I would have included the MTL duo, but one is a RFA (Domi) and the other (Drouin) is on LTIR.

This year, more than other years, there is a long-long list of pending RFAs/UFAs. usually I try to make a roster of 25 with 18 players from non-playoff teams and 7 from 1st. rd. exits, but couldn't do it this year. The roster would just be a headscratcher of what the bloody hell.

and Ian Mitchell would be good.

We can throw a couple of AHLers in the mix as well. Alex Formenton is scoring goals. I wouldn't mind putting the 2018 WJC gold medal band back together again. Well, at least some of them.

At least I've given up on Spurgeon and Doughty ever showing up. screw them.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would have included the MTL duo, but one is a RFA (Domi) and the other (Drouin) is on LTIR.

This year, more than other years, there is a long-long list of pending RFAs/UFAs. usually I try to make a roster of 25 with 18 players from non-playoff teams and 7 from 1st. rd. exits, but couldn't do it this year. The roster would just be a headscratcher of what the bloody hell.

and Ian Mitchell would be good.

We can throw a couple of AHLers in the mix as well. Alex Formenton is scoring goals. I wouldn't mind putting the 2018 WJC gold medal band back together again. Well, at least some of them.

At least I've given up on Spurgeon and Doughty ever showing up. screw them.

I didn't realize about Domi, but Drouin should be back in time. The thought is also that maybe you can use Drouin to somewhat entice MacKinnon should he become available and want to play with his old junior teammate again.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
i want something like that)

Goalie ?? i dont care)

MacKinnon McDavid Scheifele
Huberdeau Tavares Marner
Giroux Couturier Konecny
Couture Horvat Reinhart
Johansen

Chabot Ellis
Rielly Hamilton
Morrissey Makar
Ekblad

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
i want something like that)

Goalie ?? i dont care)

MacKinnon McDavid Scheifele
Huberdeau Tavares Marner
Giroux Couturier Konecny
Couture Horvat Reinhart
Johansen

Chabot Ellis
Rielly Hamilton
Morrissey Makar
Ekblad

it's never too early to talk Team Canada roster wishes.

goalies you don't care? or just don't want to do the research?

I'm skeptical Tavares accepts an invite....new baby boy at home and all.

and Rielly has been playing through injury all season. There's talk he will eventually require surgery whatever is ailing him. so, doubtful he'll be accepting any invite.

can't go wrong with Nate, Connor and Cale on the roster. should make for some highlight reel goals.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia

and Rielly has been playing through injury all season. There's talk he will eventually require surgery whatever is ailing him. so, doubtful he'll be accepting any invite.

can't go wrong with Nate, Connor and Cale on the roster. should make for some highlight reel goals.
if Rielly dont go maybe Barrie go?

"goalies you don't care?"
Not exactly. I think Price again not go)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
if Rielly dont go maybe Barrie go?

"goalies you don't care?"
Not exactly. I think Price again not go)

of course Price is not going to go. He has his rodeo cowboy shit that he just has to get to. just like Doughty has ping pong tournaments with his pals up on the lake in Muskoka.

and Barrie is a UFA.

and FYI. you included in your roster Sam Reinhart. He is another RFA this off season, therefore he won't be making any trips to Switzerland.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Now keep in mind that I’m entirely basing this team on non-playoff teams right now, at the time of constructing this, the players on here were the ones not in the playoffs.. since it changes daily, it’s likely a useless task. I tried to account for who’s showed a willingness to go, while mixing in some new blood.

Huberdeau- Scheifele- Gallagher
Skinner- Duchene- Turris
Drouin- Danault- Connolly
Jenner- Henrique- Suzuki
Lafreniere, Howden

Morrissey- Ellis
Chabot- Ekblad
Vlasic- Severson
Ferraro- Mitchell

Bernier
Hutton
Wall

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Looks like Vegas has dropped out of the TOP 8, which would unlock a few decent players for us. I doubt Marchessault and Stone accept again, but it would be nice. I've always wanted to see Reilly Smith get a shot. He's never played an international game except for the Junior-A Challenge. it's about time he suit up in a real tournament.

Theodore on D is a must. Morgan Rielly's replacement. for the purposes of this tournament anyway.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like Vegas has dropped out of the TOP 8, which would unlock a few decent players for us. I doubt Marchessault and Stone accept again, but it would be nice. I've always wanted to see Reilly Smith get a shot. He's never played an international game except for the Junior-A Challenge. it's about time he suit up in a real tournament.

Theodore on D is a must. Morgan Rielly's replacement. for the purposes of this tournament anyway.

Theodore discovered his cancer earlier than he otherwise would have due to playing in this tournament last year. Strange side benefit. I'd also like to see Josh Manson given a shot. He's never played for Canada before.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

If true, and if he doesn't land another gig between now and then, could be our coach in May. would be a solid choice.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
Now keep in mind that I’m entirely basing this team on non-playoff teams right now, at the time of constructing this, the players on here were the ones not in the playoffs.. since it changes daily, it’s likely a useless task. I tried to account for who’s showed a willingness to go, while mixing in some new blood.

Huberdeau- Scheifele- Gallagher
Skinner- Duchene- Turris
Drouin- Danault- Connolly
Jenner- Henrique- Suzuki
Lafreniere, Howden

Morrissey- Ellis
Chabot- Ekblad
Vlasic- Severson
Ferraro- Mitchell

Bernier
Hutton
Wall
Probably the most realistic projected roster on this thread.
Good job!

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
We can probably scratch Dougie Hamilton off any roster wish list. Looks like he can be done for the year. That's disappointing. He was having an outstanding year. hope it's not too too serious. and a speedy recovery.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad