Pre-Game Talk: 2020 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp (Phase 3)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I had also considered the possibility that they may have gone to Toronto early. A plane can only hold so many people & their equipment, so multiple trips doesn't seem out of the question. They've got to get 52 people and their belongings to Toronto. If they want to social distance on the plane, that makes it even tougher.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

yeah, but it's 2020.

I get it though. It's a big time commitment for a few guys who most likely won't even play. If it gets that bad, bring them in later.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
for those who missed the 28 players list :

Tampa.JPG

Reactions: Kristia

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
How does Victor get there? He obv doesn't have to take a commercial flight?
I checked a website. The 'budget' private plane from Tampa to Toronto would cost 10-17k, depending on how fast they want to get there/refueling stops, etc.

Pretty expensive, but Hedman makes nearly 8 million a season, and given that he's probably the best defenceman in the world right now, maybe the team picks up the bill.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I checked a website. The 'budget' private plane from Tampa to Toronto would cost 10-17k, depending on how fast they want to get there/refueling stops, etc.

Pretty expensive, but Hedman makes nearly 8 million a season, and given that he's probably the best defenceman in the world right now, maybe the team picks up the bill.
So with a lot of these, you can't buy one-off flights somewhere on a private charter, you normally have to sign a contract and/or buy a block of hours of fly time from a privateer and then you pay a little extra each time you fly, for fuel/food/drinks/staff to serve you. I wouldn't be shocked if a few guys pooled something like that, its especially helpful around the holidays if you're trying to move a lot of family around. I recall some NFL guys splitting that.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So with a lot of these, you can't buy one-off flights somewhere on a private charter, you normally have to sign a contract and/or buy a block of hours of fly time from a privateer and then you pay a little extra each time you fly, for fuel/food/drinks/staff to serve you. I wouldn't be shocked if a few guys pooled something like that, its especially helpful around the holidays if you're trying to move a lot of family around. I recall some NFL guys splitting that.
Not wrong, but since it's just Hedman and Lambert (maybe others?) needing a one-way flight, I wouldn't think that they'd pool.

But look at Scrooge McDuck over here...

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

This presentation (along with the NBAs) is great. The asthetics are way better than baseballs in the sense that you forget about the crowd easier. Although I dont think there's much baseball can do.

For any pro wrestling fans out there, I wonder how much the initial AEW shows provided inspiration for these leagues. They were the first to implement a setup like this I believe?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This presentation (along with the NBAs) is great. The asthetics are way better than baseballs in the sense that you forget about the crowd easier. Although I dont think there's much baseball can do.

For any pro wrestling fans out there, I wonder how much the initial AEW shows provided inspiration for these leagues. They were the first to implement a setup like this I believe?
I watched bits and pieces of some baseball games, primarily to see how they handled the presentation (and CGI crowd). They really don't hit the ball very often, do they?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Not wrong, but since it's just Hedman and Lambert (maybe others?) needing a one-way flight, I wouldn't think that they'd pool.

But look at Scrooge McDuck over here...
Well, wouldn't be surprising if JV has a block of hours for personal and business use. I had changed my post to make a little more sense (because I can get a little word salad-ish at times) and forgot that important part.

Reactions: Felonious Python

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I’m picturing Hedman riding a Greyhound to Toronto right now.

At least his two pairs of skates are already there.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I watched bits and pieces of some baseball games, primarily to see how they handled the presentation (and CGI crowd). They really don't hit the ball very often, do they?

Hitting a major league pitch is one of the most difficult tasks in all of sports. If you get a hit (which is not the same as hitting the ball) over 30% of the time for your entire career you’ve got a good shot at the Hall of Fame.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hitting a major league pitch is one of the most difficult tasks in all of sports. If you get a hit (which is not the same as hitting the ball) over 30% of the time for your entire career you’ve got a good shot at the Hall of Fame.
I'm just busting chops.

Like 90% of the time, the batter doesn't even swing tho. Why not try at least? :sarcasm:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I'm just busting chops.

Like 90% of the time, the batter doesn't even swing tho. Why not try at least? :sarcasm:

Haha few things are more frustrating than watching a hitter who consistently takes called third strikes.

Just in case there are some non-baseball fans here who might be curious, here’s some fascinating stuff about why hitting a major league fastball is so difficult.

And believe it or not, that’s actually the easy part. What really separates the pros from the wannabes is the ability to hit breaking balls, where the ball not only moves in many cases significantly slower than a fastball, but also curves in all sorts of nasty, ankle-breaking ways. So just when you think you’ve got your timing down on the fastball (which as that video mentions travels so fast that you need to start your swing before the ball even leaves the pitcher’s hand), the pitcher mixes in stuff like this:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00