Transfer: 2020 Summer (we think) Transfer Window Rumors, News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Goetze is not a winger and not a striker. He's a double 8. He's capable of playing as a 10 or also as an 8 with a strong holding midfielder, but he's best in a 4-3-3 with a 6 in front of two double 8's. He can play as a false nine and the fact that he outplayed Alcacer in Alcacer's best position playing out of position should tell you all you need to know about his quality. But he's definitely no type of striker or winger. His game is not about goals or assists as much anymore as it is about making passes to put the team into good spots in the final third, helping advance the ball with smart combinations or making good decisions to retain the ball.

He's not going to come cheap, and he shouldn't have to. That was the whole reason he's not staying at Dortmund. He didn't want to take a pay cut. By my rough calculations, his current salary would make him the joint 6th highest earner at Liverpool. Unless the money in football this summer is non-existent all around Europe and the world, I don't think he's going to be taking any pay cut, if he wants money instead of playing for the best team. If you want him, be prepared to pay between 6-7 million euros in wages. And if he really wants to go for a cash grab, he could probably get more than that at one of these ultra-rich Premier League clubs that overpay for quality players, in China, UAE, Saudi Arabia or MLS.

Fans of other teams won't know this because they don't watch Dortmund regularly, but he was absolutely Dortmund's best player last season, and he did that playing out of position. Favre never had any use for him playing in any of his better positions. It's lost Dortmund points over the years, which is another reason why Favre is a bad manager, but it reflects poorly on Favre, not Goetze. Since December he's been frozen out because Favre said he doesn't fit into the new formation Dortmund has been playing with three at the back.

I think his best fit will be somewhere in Italy or Spain like Inter Milan, Napoli, Sevilla. But he's certainly good enough to play at any club in the world.
I’m wondering if he still has the work rate to play in a Klopp midfield. For me, it’s not about his talent and ability as much as his fit.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m wondering if he still has the work rate to play in a Klopp midfield. For me, it’s not about his talent and ability as much as his fit.

His work rate has never been a problem. He played as a false nine successfully for two years, and is one of the least physically imposing players in the top leagues of Europe. Great soccer IQ, hard worker, despite his lack of size and athleticism. I'd prefer he not go to the Premier League, but he could succeed at Liverpool.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
His work rate has never been a problem. He played as a false nine successfully for two years, and is one of the least physically imposing players in the top leagues of Europe. Great soccer IQ, hard worker, despite his lack of size and athleticism. I'd prefer he not go to the Premier League, but he could succeed at Liverpool.
I knew that he has had that work rate just didn’t know if it would still be there at the same level as a Wijnaldun or AOC.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I knew that he has had that work rate just didn’t know if it would still be there at the same level as a Wijnaldun or AOC.
I don't think he'd be replacing Wijnaldum though. Liverpool don't really have a Wijnaldum type player that can do what he does, and be as versatile as he is. Honestly if Goetze did go to Liverpool my ideal 3 would be Wijnaldum at the 6 with Henderson and Goetze ahead of him. Would be absolutely fantastic. I'm not super high on Fabinho or Keita, though I do love Ox; I just think Goetze is better. On top of which he could fill in for Firmino when needed as well and provide a slightly different look.

Again, he's played under Klopp before and his fitness was only an issue before they discovered his underlying condition. His last season at Dortmund was fantastic as far as I saw, and he's always had incredible talent. He's in the prime of his career and when we're talking about bargain signings that would improve the Liverpool team while also being a player Klopp admires and is familiar with...well, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wijnaldum still has not signed his extension. Contract ends in 2021 and he is going into age 30 season. Interesting to see what happens there.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Wijnaldum still has not signed his extension. Contract ends in 2021 and he is going into age 30 season. Interesting to see what happens there.
Me Before watching "the last dance" documentary : We need to sign a replacement player. We need to keep it rolling with a younger player and stay relevant for the next decade.

Me After watching "the last dance" documentary: Don't repare something that is not broken, sign him at all cost and let LFC continue their domination of world football and only fix once they fail!

Last edited:

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Wasn't sure where to put this question but who do you guys project as the top 3 for the Ballon D'or this season.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Wasn't sure where to put this question but who do you guys project as the top 3 for the Ballon D'or this season.
Messi, Lewandowski, Sancho in that order I think. Depends on what happens in CL too of course. If CR7 goes on one of his patented CL knockout runs, then he can win it too.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- Milan going after Kalulu, Kouassi, and Kurzawa.

- Inter potentially looking at Meunier and Vertonghen to increase their Belgian rate by one.

- Mertens is being looked as a replacement for Martinez at Inter, but he's about to sign a three year extension in Napoli.

- PSG offering 50 million + 10 million add-ons for Icardi.

- More smoke on the Lacazette for Lemar swap, didn't think my club could not get any dumber yet here we are.

- Madrid are very close to signing Magalhaes from RMC Sport for 20 million Euros.

- Another stud to Newcastle if the Saudi move takes over. Their rumoured target this time? A 70 million pound bid for Zaha. These Magpie rumours have been a fantastic source of entertainment for me over the covid pause.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Have you seen the Coutinho rumors?
I think Lemar is worse. You and I both contributed as much as him in creating goals.

Coutinho sort of make sense for both club and player. He gets to play on the left or as a 10 and i doubt any stronger clubs could give him the role/playing time he would want.

With his wages cant really afford him though, even on loan.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Lemar is worse. You and I both contributed as much as him in creating goals.

Coutinho sort of make sense for both club and player. He gets to play on the left or as a 10 and i doubt any stronger clubs could give him the role/playing time he would want.

Coutinho is not a 10. He is only LW and I have no idea why Arteta wants him taking minutes from the Martinelli/Saka/etc of your squad

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Coutinho is not a 10. He is only LW and I have no idea why Arteta wants him taking minutes from the Martinelli/Saka/etc of your squad
He plays as a 10 for Brazil and has always done quite well in that position. He played there for Bayern as well. He also played successfully in midfield for Liverpool.

Reactions: Cassano

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Have you seen the Coutinho rumors?
What are those? The latest I personally saw was that Bayern will not trigger any clause to sign him for the future and he's going to go back where he originally came from. I think I saw St. Petersburg is interested in him, that would actually be a good move for both parties.

I did just now see that NBCSN has rumours - not sure how reliable they are - which dictate that Arsenal will get both Coutinho and Jimenez (would love that), Atletico get Lacazette, and Higuain goes to Wolves to replace Jimenez.

Lemar made sense when we had Wenger and he could mould him into a proper unbelievable player even if he still had dinosaur tactics. But nowadays with Edu and Arteta? They're both way too green for me to have the same faith at developing players as Wenger did. Coutinho is a disgusting option, but I have no problems taking him if it's at a severe discounted rate (taking about 20 million pounds here at tops) or if it's another loan move (likely an easier situation to handle for us). We still need to get Partey and a top defender, but all this uncertainty talk about our strikers is quite worrisome. It's going to be hilarious how a position of strength for us could turn right back to the days right after RvP left our club. Marouane Chamakh and his pedofile haircut FTW!!!

Reactions: Cassano

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He plays as a 10 for Brazil and has always done quite well in that position. He played there for Bayern as well. He also played successfully in midfield for Liverpool.
Coutinho only really played midfield for LFC in 2014ish, and that was as an 8. Six years ago. If he played ten for Bayern, it can’t have been that good because they’ve basically exiled him. I’m not having that he is effective there

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Coutinho only really played midfield for LFC in 2014ish, and that was as an 8. Six years ago. If he played ten for Bayern, it can’t have been that good because they’ve basically exiled him. I’m not having that he is effective there

By the time the 17/18 season rolled around, Mane/Firminho/Salah were all at Liverpool and playing the front 3 with Coutinho in MF.

In fact, from what I recall, that was precisely one of the reasons many Liverpool fans said he was so expendable. He wasn't going to play in that front 3 anymore, and for the price they could get, he was replaceable in MF>

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
What are those? The latest I personally saw was that Bayern will not trigger any clause to sign him for the future and he's going to go back where he originally came from. I think I saw St. Petersburg is interested in him, that would actually be a good move for both parties.

I did just now see that NBCSN has rumours - not sure how reliable they are - which dictate that Arsenal will get both Coutinho and Jimenez (would love that), Atletico get Lacazette, and Higuain goes to Wolves to replace Jimenez.

Lemar made sense when we had Wenger and he could mould him into a proper unbelievable player even if he still had dinosaur tactics. But nowadays with Edu and Arteta? They're both way too green for me to have the same faith at developing players as Wenger did. Coutinho is a disgusting option, but I have no problems taking him if it's at a severe discounted rate (taking about 20 million pounds here at tops) or if it's another loan move (likely an easier situation to handle for us). We still need to get Partey and a top defender, but all this uncertainty talk about our strikers is quite worrisome. It's going to be hilarious how a position of strength for us could turn right back to the days right after RvP left our club. Marouane Chamakh and his pedofile haircut FTW!!!
I don't really want to sign Coutinho TBH. Just a one year loan while a guy like ESR develops to start the next season. I would actually much prefer signing Cazorla on a free to retire here, who has been better than Coutinho the past 2 seasons anyways.

Reactions: S E P H
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad