Transfer: 2020 Summer (we think) Transfer Window Rumors, News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Athletic said Ainsley Maitland-Niles will be sold this summer. A decent English player that will bring an inflated return because he's English.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Some of that article is valid and some of it is off the mark. I didn't read it entirely and did some skimming, but it doesn't even mention that a higher portion of Barça's revenue is from matchday income which will hurt them even more than say Madrid. Either way plenty of clubs are in a similar position. Despite Madrid's "warchest" they still asked their players for a wage cut, have a stadium project and just spent about 200 million in transfer fees alone for 2019-20.

While it's impossible to look at the situation as a positive, hopefully we get a new regime that learns from some of the spending mistakes. I think trimming the wage bill and leveraging La Masia more would go a long way. Also, Messi, Suarez, Vidal and Rakitic could all be gone after next Summer which would make a huge dent in the wage bill. I doubt Messi goes and Suarez might still be around, but you can go all in on Vidal and Rakitic being gone. Either way they need to start reducing the wage bill going forward, but I don't think that's too big a challenge apart from Messi.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'd add that I've heard it many times and I posted about it before. Only 3 players in Barça's first team are "untouchable":
  • Messi
  • Ter Stegen - should be signing a new contract very soon
  • De Jong
After that anyone is fair game. How realistic it is getting other players is maybe another story.

After next summer 2021?Nah hes staying at least until after the WC.

I assume you mean Messi. His contract is up next Summer. I'm not clued in as to options, but it expires next Summer. Ditto for Suarez. Again, doubt Messi goes.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I wish Chelsea didn't have a serious glut in midfield because I'd love to take a waiver on Gotze if we didn't.
I don’t know is Gotze is really a midfielder anymore. I think he is basically just a false 9 now maybe can cover on the wings if he doesn’t need to provide width.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don’t know is Gotze is really a midfielder anymore. I think he is basically just a false 9 now maybe can cover on the wings if he doesn’t need to provide width.
He’s more of a midfielder now than he ever has been IMO.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He’s more of a midfielder now than he ever has been IMO.
Don’t know about that. Seems to me like he wasn’t playing a lot of midfield this season. His minutes have eroded since January. Haaland and Reyna are the ones getting his playtime.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Don’t know about that. Seems to me like he wasn’t playing a lot of midfield this season. Reyna is seems to be getting his minutes at inside forward too.
His last season where he was actually getting decent minutes he seemed most effective in midfield. I’d take him at Liverpool especially on a free.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
His last season where he was actually getting decent minutes he seemed most effective in midfield. I’d take him at Liverpool especially on a free.
So much is up in the air with COVID. It feels Werner or bust for Liverpool. I don’t think there is room for both either. Gotze isn’t playing in that midfield three.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So much is up in the air with COVID. It feels Werner or bust for Liverpool. I don’t think there is room for both either. Gotze isn’t playing in that midfield three.
He’s certainly good enough to and is familiar with Klopp. It’s exactly the type of business Liverpool would do.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He’s certainly good enough to and is familiar with Klopp. It’s exactly the type of business Liverpool would do.
Good enough to what?

Gotze isn’t displacing Chamberlain or Keita on the bench.

At forward, maybe? But again. If Liverpool signs Werner, that blocks his best path to minutes

It’s a romantic idea, but it also doesn’t seem to be LFC priority to go back for old targets so not sure I agree with you on that either. I don’t think Klopp would want to block Minamino yet either.

Liverpool have become a power again. Klopp is very careful about adding players. If the player isn’t a clear upgrade to the eighteen, they aren’t going to outlay capital. Liverpool definitely need another impact forward (Werner) and they need a backup left back. Where else do they need to upgrade? Especially with their model, and if they don’t have a lot of money due to the virus. Liverpool don’t print money and Henry is not one of the top ten richest owners in the league. They might be a bit muzzled.
I don’t see the fit. I would try to sign Werner and Saka (both linked by good sources) and call it a day. That fills all their needs and makes sense from a minutes standpoint.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Good enough to what?

Gotze isn’t displacing Chamberlain or Keita on the bench.

At forward, maybe? But again. If Liverpool signs Werner, that blocks his best path to minutes

I think Goetze is more talented and still has more potential as a player than either Chambo or Keita, and his versatility and familiarity with Klopp certainly helps.

It’s a romantic idea, but it also doesn’t seem to be LFC priority to go back for old targets so not sure I agree with you on that either. I don’t think Klopp would want to block Minamino yet either.

It's not a matter of him being an old target, but being a very talented player that Klopp is familiar with who is also free.

Liverpool have become a power again. Klopp is very careful about adding players. If the player isn’t a clear upgrade to the eighteen, they aren’t going to outlay capital. Liverpool definitely need another impact forward (Werner) and they need a backup left back. Where else do they need to upgrade? Especially with their model, and if they don’t have a lot of money due to the virus. Liverpool don’t print money and Henry is not one of the top ten richest owners in the league. They might be a bit muzzled.
I don’t see the fit. I would try to sign Werner and Saka (both linked by good sources) and call it a day. That fills all their needs and makes sense from a minutes standpoint.

If they can't afford to buy Werner signing Goetze on a free is certainly a possibility, and honestly people might forget but he is still only 27...a talent of that caliber and versatility could be an absolute steal. What reliable sources are linking Saka?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

1 year left on contract, so shouldn't cost too much.

Saka replacement?

Would rather get cash to invest in midfielders.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
After riding the pine in Bayern and Dortmund, i do not see why he would risk going to Liverpool and relive the same experience again. Better to play for a smaller Premier League club getting good money and actual playing time.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
After riding the pine in Bayern and Dortmund, i do not see why he would risk going to Liverpool and relive the same experience again. Better to play for a smaller Premier League club getting good money and actual playing time.
Honestly, I was just thinking that maybe going back to Bayern could be an option if they strike out on their transfer targets. Free, ex-Bayern player and tends to produce when he plays. Perfect bench player for Bayern.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Goetze is not a winger and not a striker. He's a double 8. He's capable of playing as a 10 or also as an 8 with a strong holding midfielder, but he's best in a 4-3-3 with a 6 in front of two double 8's. He can play as a false nine and the fact that he outplayed Alcacer in Alcacer's best position playing out of position should tell you all you need to know about his quality. But he's definitely no type of striker or winger. His game is not about goals or assists as much anymore as it is about making passes to put the team into good spots in the final third, helping advance the ball with smart combinations or making good decisions to retain the ball.

He's not going to come cheap, and he shouldn't have to. That was the whole reason he's not staying at Dortmund. He didn't want to take a pay cut. By my rough calculations, his current salary would make him the joint 6th highest earner at Liverpool. Unless the money in football this summer is non-existent all around Europe and the world, I don't think he's going to be taking any pay cut, if he wants money instead of playing for the best team. If you want him, be prepared to pay between 6-7 million euros in wages. And if he really wants to go for a cash grab, he could probably get more than that at one of these ultra-rich Premier League clubs that overpay for quality players, in China, UAE, Saudi Arabia or MLS.

Fans of other teams won't know this because they don't watch Dortmund regularly, but he was absolutely Dortmund's best player last season, and he did that playing out of position. Favre never had any use for him playing in any of his better positions. It's lost Dortmund points over the years, which is another reason why Favre is a bad manager, but it reflects poorly on Favre, not Goetze. Since December he's been frozen out because Favre said he doesn't fit into the new formation Dortmund has been playing with three at the back.

I think his best fit will be somewhere in Italy or Spain like Inter Milan, Napoli, Sevilla. But he's certainly good enough to play at any club in the world.

Reactions: YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Goetze is more talented and still has more potential as a player than either Chambo or Keita, and his versatility and familiarity with Klopp certainly helps.

It's not a matter of him being an old target, but being a very talented player that Klopp is familiar with who is also free.

If they can't afford to buy Werner signing Goetze on a free is certainly a possibility, and honestly people might forget but he is still only 27...a talent of that caliber and versatility could be an absolute steal. What reliable sources are linking Saka?
Do you know who else is familiar with Klopp? Chamberlain and Keita. No reason to displace either of those guys for another who might be an injury risk that would fill the same role. No one is saying Gotze isn’t talented. Just don’t think he is the right fit. Don’t think the will be that cheap on wages either. Might be a fit if Werner stays at RBL but that would be a bummer.inreally don’t think PL is the place for him.

Ornstein was talking about Saka a bit ago. Only a year left on contract. Liverpool looking if doesn’t extend. Which would be great become he would solve two positions LFC need. Arsenal also happen to have A LOT of depth at those positions and probably can’t offer Champions League. Would be nice to buy a player from a rival. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->