Transfer: 2020 Summer Transfer Window Rumors Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I completely disagree that they are "intangibles" and that you can't measure his impact with stats, because you can. He's just not a striker that should be your main goal scoring threat, but his ability to create chances for others is his biggest strength. I completely understood why he played for France at the World Cup over so-called better strikers and continues to play for them, because they have players like Mbappe and Griezmann as their main goal scorers and Giroud's ability to create space and link up with them is unmatched.
Of course but you expect your striker to be more productive. Especially when he's so good in the air. And in fact Giroud often is productive in key moments.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Chelsea fans here are eerie similar to LeBron James hypocrisy, "America is the definition of evil, but China is cool and my bro!". As long as Chelsea fans can turn a blind eye from where the money actually comes from when they make buys like Werner and Havertz. SMH.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Of course but you expect your striker to be more productive. Especially when he's so good in the air. And in fact Giroud often is productive in key moments.
Giroud is like a poor man's Firmino in terms of scoring goals, but is a better playmaker. I would actually take him back on Arsenal if we're able to re-sign Auba and if we do trade Lacazette for someone. His hold up ability and playmaking would be quite deadly to unleash Auba, Saka, and Pepe with through-balls. You just cannot rely on him being a consistent goalscoring CF because he's never been that.

Reactions: Cassano

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Giroud is like a poor man's Firmino in terms of scoring goals, but is a better playmaker. I would actually take him back on Arsenal if we're able to re-sign Auba and if we do trade Lacazette for someone. His hold up ability and playmaking would be quite deadly to unleash Auba, Saka, and Pepe with through-balls. You just cannot rely on him being a consistent goalscoring CF because he's never been that.
I'd be very surprised if many people agreed with Giroud being a better playmaker than Firmino. Giroud is better in the air, and he's got better hold up but that's about it.

Reactions: Gecklund

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The Chelsea fans here are eerie similar to LeBron James hypocrisy, "America is the definition of evil, but China is cool and my bro!". As long as Chelsea fans can turn a blind eye from where the money actually comes from when they make buys like Werner and Havertz. SMH.
The money mostly comes from club revenue with some cash injection from Roman Abramovich. Werner and Ziyech have been entirely paid for by sales and loan fees, for example. As have most of our transfers over the last 5-7 years. Chelsea's net transfer spend over the last 5 years is less than Arsenal's is...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Chelsea is incredibly lucky. There is no genius/ master stroke from their front office here

it’s a perfect storm where:
  • Their transfer ban helped them
  • The coronavirus helped them
  • All of their veteran players are on expiring contracts
They get credit for being opportunistic but my lord this is like a blind squirrel finding an acorn pile.

Reactions: Gecklund

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Chelsea is incredibly lucky. There is no genius/ master stroke from their front office here

it’s a perfect storm where:
  • Their transfer ban helped them
  • The coronavirus helped them
  • All of their veteran players are on expiring contracts
They get credit for being opportunistic but my lord this is like a blind squirrel finding an acorn pile.
Of course they are lucky, and I'm glad they are smart enough to smell blood and know this is the prime opportunity to take advantage.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Of course they are lucky, and I'm glad they are smart enough to smell blood and know this is the prime opportunity to take advantage.
As you should. They are the only team with money right now and it’s completely by accident.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

You guys can listen to comments about Thiago at 43:21 that I was talking about yesterday.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Talk of Chelsea buying a LB worth 50M pounds. Werner that was like 40M and Havertz well worth 90M, they also bought Ziyech for 30 and talks of also a goalie. This is a lot, transfer ban or not. They also bought Pulisic for a big sum.

Feels like me editing my money on FM

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How does Chelsea have all this money this summer that no other club seems to have? I don't understand. Can someone explain?
They are collecting £50m from Morata and almost another £50m in loan fees this year. They made a profit of £87.35m in the transfer market for 19-20 because they were embargoed and could only buy Kovacic. Plus there is talk like Roman will help fund this opportunity as well because it's not like it will come around again.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Chelsea getting Havertz, Ziyech, Werner, Chilwell and a CB in this window would be a massive shift. They could compete with City and Liverpool IMO. Though it might take an adjustment period and they may not be title contenders until the following season.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Before COVID there was talk of them looking to have a budget around £150m to spend in the market in addition to anything they raised through sales/loans (i.e. the £100m I referenced earlier). I would be surprised if they still dropped that full amount, but it's possible if Roman is going to take the loss.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd be very surprised if many people agreed with Giroud being a better playmaker than Firmino. Giroud is better in the air, and he's got better hold up but that's about it.
He's also a better scorer. He has a better scoring rate in league play and NT and MUCH better in european play.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Minor deal but something that will be liked by some here.
Gael Kakuta has signed with Lens.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's also a better scorer. He has a better scoring rate in league play and NT and MUCH better in european play.
Eh, I don't think he's necessarily a better scorer. When Firmino was actually playing up top and staying as a more offensive player he scored at a very similar rate to Giroud, if not better. He just plays way deeper than Giroud ever did. It's why comparing Firmino to primarily goal scoring strikers is pretty silly since he's much more akin to an attacking midfielder. Almost like a traditional 10 that just starts higher out of possession because of his importance to the press, but ends up dropping deeper in possession because of his importance to the build up and chance creation before making runs later. Never the primary or even secondary goal scoring player on the team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Firmino is in the box when Liverpool attacks, just like Giroud. :dunno:
Giroud has scored at a better clip throughout his career. And his NT resume is excellent. In Europe this year he has 11 goals in 14 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->