2020 Stanley Cup -- Tainted or Legit?

Should the 2020 Cup come with an asterisk?

• Total voters

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To me it's no different than any top player getting hurt and having to miss.
IMO, if all Teams are playing under the same rules it's legit. I don't see any Team having an unfair advantage over another.

Unfair perhaps isn't the right word but what do you call it if one team has a bunch of top players knocked out due to the virus? Is bad luck a better way of putting it? If one team wins due to this sort of luck then that's a big asterisk in my eyes, injuries are a natural part of the game but the same can't be said for covid19.

There's often some luck involved in the playoffs, a post hit or missed, a fluke injury etc. and covid 19 basically adds a TON of variance. Maybe it won't be a factor at all, in that case the cup isn't tainted but if it plays a huge role then that's another story.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unfair perhaps isn't the right word but what do you call it if one team has a bunch of top players knocked out due to the virus? Is bad luck a better way of putting it? If one team wins due to this sort of luck then that's a big asterisk in my eyes, injuries are a natural part of the game but the same can't be said for covid19.

There's often some luck involved in the playoffs, a post hit or missed, a fluke injury etc. and covid 19 basically adds a TON of variance. Maybe it won't be a factor at all, in that case the cup isn't tainted but if it plays a huge role then that's another story.
Positive test would be a bad break for sure but to me I lump that in with any other thing that could occur off ice that could knock a player out.
Agreed though, have to see how it plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad