2020 Stanley Cup -- Tainted or Legit?

Should the 2020 Cup come with an asterisk?

• Total voters

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Obviously the 2020 Stanley Cup playoffs will be like no other -- a play-in series vs. a traditional playoff race, no fans in the stands, hub cities, no Maple Leaf Square, no parade, etc.

On the other hand, the winner will still have to win four 7-game series (not to mention possibly an unofficial 5th series just to get in). And most teams will be at full health (assuming COVID-19 cooperates), so it might be the most level playing field in memory from that perspective, along with the general loss of "home ice advantage."

With all this in mind, do you consider the Cup legitimator this year or should it come with an asterisk?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's unfortunately not what we've become accustomed to (fans in the stands, home/away distinction, the parade for the eventual winner). I do particularly like the return to reseeding, and even if that ends up being just a one off. Overall, I'd still consider it a legit tournament.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not tainted.

Barring one of the contenders being eliminated while their stars en masse are sidelined with Covid.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Asterisk, timing/long break and the change to the system part way through the year make it different.

It'll be hard to win and an accomplishment but it's not the same as a "true" cup win for me.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
100% tainted. Can’t believe they are trying to shoehorn the playoffs into this season. They haven’t played in over 3 months and than jump right into the playoffs. I personally don’t get it.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Depends who will be hoisting the Cup.
Tainted for sure: Habs, and Hawks
Legit for sure: Leafs
Don’t really care: the rest of the teams.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Too early.
I'm not convinced it's going to happen, or even finish as scheduled. But assuming it does, if it goes off without a major hitch (i.e. a group of teammates get infected and the team is bounced easily, etc.), not tainted.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The changes to the playoff tournament are peripheral - venues, attendance, etc.

The skill, guts, and determination required to hoist the Stanley Cup will have to be the same as any other year, and therefore, it's completely legitimate in my opinion.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Too early to be determined.

If everything goes well, it'll be 100% legit.

If Montreal ends up defeating a St Louis team that's 50% depleted due to Covid, then it's a joke.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Honestly, gicen the amount of extra stress and wonky logistics id have a fair smount of respect for whichever team manages tonwin

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Honestly, gicen the amount of extra stress and wonky logistics id have a fair smount of respect for whichever team manages tonwin

Absolutely. The challenges will be different this year then they are in a normal year but no matter how different these playoffs will be, it will still be just as hard to win as it is in any other year.

It will be less legit only if covid plays a role in knocking out key players, hopefully that doesn't happen.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Depends on the actual impact of Covid on the players and the series. If all the players and staff are in the bubble and there's very few infections then it's a legit 4 round playoffs and that counts. If Covid gets into some of the dressing rooms and wipes out a team's top6 for an entire series that will certainly complicate things. If enough teams lose a series to virus impact there will probably be an asterisk. Winning the tournament will still be hard as hell, but it would be hard to declare it "fair" if we were playing the Avs in the Cup finals and Mackinnon, Makar, Kadri, and their goalie all got sick before game 1. If only a single player goes down here and there then it's just the same as injuries and there are no asterisks.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
For me it's tainted. Having to go through 82 games then a few days off, then getting into playoff series is more impressive. Carrying lumps, bruises, and fatigue both mentally and physically into the playoffs is what makes it so impressive. But more importantly having to beat a team in their own barn with their crowd going nuts is the real test. With 0 fans, and presumably a complete lack of atmosphere, it just doesn't measure up.

As an example, I'm very very confident that the Leafs hang onto victory in game 7 in 2013 if there were no fans. You could tell that the players were sharting themselves when the crowd upped it at 4-2, then 4-3, then 4-4. There was no chance they'd win that overtime.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
For me it's tainted. Having to go through 82 games then a few days off, then getting into playoff series is more impressive. Carrying lumps, bruises, and fatigue both mentally and physically into the playoffs is what makes it so impressive. But more importantly having to beat a team in their own barn with their crowd going nuts is the real test. With 0 fans, and presumably a complete lack of atmosphere, it just doesn't measure up.

As an example, I'm very very confident that the Leafs hang onto victory in game 7 in 2013 if there were no fans. You could tell that the players were sharting themselves when the crowd upped it at 4-2, then 4-3, then 4-4. There was no chance they'd win that overtime.
I don’t think SJ beat Vegas last year without fans.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If everyone stays healthy it’s totally legit.
If say we make the finals against Edmonton and McDavid and Drai both go down with COVID-19? Definitely asterisk worthy but hell, I’ll still take it

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->