2020 Spengler Cup (Update: Tournament canceled)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's kind of a unique tournament within the hockey landscape.

Davos is beautiful, the rink is gorgeous, and everyone there has fun and enjoys a good time.

That's all that really matters.

Reactions: Hagstrom

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Why tf are you all in here if you don’t care. Junior hockey is nothing to write home about either

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Has this tournament been broadcast on US TV before? Per Wikipedia, NBCSN shows the tourney, but I don't know if that's accurate. If that's correct, then I imagine NBCSN broadcasts coverage from TSN.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Wait a minute. Wasn´t Frölunda supposed to take part this year? In doing so it would have been the number 1 contender for gold with Canada.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Always have watched the Spengler Cup for years now.. enjoyed the games and also loved the cool jersey looks.. some great ones, some WTF ones.. but still, good tourny to watch along with the WJHC always.. just have to manage the times of the games to watch for both Spengler Cup and WJC which I have done both on tv for so long.. never knew about the Spengler Cup years ago when I was younger but when I saw that was shown on sports segments on the evening newshour shows I had to see for myself and was surprised...so the Spengler Cup is always good to watch to fill time during the WJHC...

Reactions: Hagstrom

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There is a good possibilitiy that there won't be a Spengler Cup this year. The World Economic Forum has been cancelled and both events share some common infrastructure which now would be financed completely by the Spengler Cup. And as there are additional costs for COVID-measures (and we just don't know how the situation is by the end of the year) it could be cancelled.

In German:
Spengler Cup vor dem Aus – in diesem Winter gibt's wohl nur festtägliches Junioren-Hockey

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It sucks.. I love the Spengler... makes for a great day of hockey in combo with World Juniors.

Plus there would've been a few higher caliber players this year as NHLers are playing in Europe right now. Sparta had some players I enjoy too.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
There is a good possibilitiy that there won't be a Spengler Cup this year. The World Economic Forum has been cancelled and both events share some common infrastructure which now would be financed completely by the Spengler Cup. And as there are additional costs for COVID-measures (and we just don't know how the situation is by the end of the year) it could be cancelled.

In German:
Spengler Cup vor dem Aus – in diesem Winter gibt's wohl nur festtägliches Junioren-Hockey

That sucks. I am not one who follows this tournament much, but it's always interesting to catch a couple periods here and there during the holidays and between World Junior games. Fcuk 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad