2020 Spengler Cup (Update: Tournament canceled)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The line-up for the 2020 Spengler Cup (December 26-31, as usual) has been finalized. The participating clubs:

HC Davos
HC Ambrì-Piotta
Team Canada
Sparta Prague (Czechia)
KooKoo (Finland)
Ak Bars Kazan (Russia)

340px-Spengler_Cup_2012_Logo.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I can’t wait. I have no doubt in my mind Davos will be able to run a normal tourney with a full barn.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I would just correct the information regarding the Kazan team. The club is called Ak Bars Kazan.

HC Davos as a team behind the Spengler Cup has good relations with the KHL. Last year Salavat Yulaev Ufa played at Spengler Cup, just days before Davos hosted the KHL regular-season game Salavat Yulaev Ufa vs Ak Bars Kazan. Just curious if both teams meet in Davos this year as well while Ak Bars will stay in Davos to play at Spengler Cup.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
People get excited about this?

Its basically the Swiss equivalent of the All Star Weekend. Nobody takes it seriously on a competitive level but its sort of a tradition to watch it with your relatives over the holidays. For Canadians it seems to be mostly a "warm up" for the World Junior games and also a trip down memory lane with a lot of familar names on Team Canada. I personally dont get excited about the tournament myself but I can see the appeal it has for others and I am still glad its happining since its important for the promotion of the game in Switzerland as it gets massive TV coverage over here.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
A few years ago, a team had Glen Metropolit, Andrew Ebbett, James Sheppard etc. Yeah it doesn't really scream "watch me".

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Well it's not best on best, it's a collection of ex NHLers that couldn't make it.

A few years ago, a team had Glen Metropolit, Andrew Ebbett, James Sheppard etc. Yeah it doesn't really scream "watch me".

Junior hockey(I am assuming from your username that you enjoy junior hockey) is like 99% comprised of players who never go further than junior hockey. Is “best on best” a concern there? Or only when you want to rip something?

Reactions: Hagstrom

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As I have said before, as a Canadian, I have watched the Spengler Cup for decades, and I still have NO idea what it is. Still, at Christmas, in between World Junior games, it's fun - especially with nothing else on TV.

Reactions: Hagstrom

extra skater

Hockey Webcomics
May 9, 2015
I was (half) joking. Much of the tournament is a mystery to me other than the fact that Canada always has a team to root for.
That's why I started by asking "Really?" :D
I'm not aware of the criteria to choose the teams. I think they invite whoever they want.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Junior hockey(I am assuming from your username that you enjoy junior hockey) is like 99% comprised of players who never go further than junior hockey. Is “best on best” a concern there? Or only when you want to rip something?

Well at the moment, those juniors are relevant and have their entire hockey career ahead of them.

Hope Ben Scrivens is on the team next Spengler Cup. Ticket seller.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Well at the moment, those juniors are relevant and have their entire hockey career ahead of them.

Hope Ben Scrivens is on the team next Spengler Cup. Ticket seller.
You spoke to the quality of play. Anyone in any spengler cup game is better than the vast majority of any junior players.

Quite frankly, I have no idea why junior hockey is interesting to anyone who isn’t related to someone playing it, anyone from a small enough town where junior hockey is a big thing, to children who look up to them, or to pro scouts. Junior hockey is crap.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
You spoke to the quality of play. Anyone in any spengler cup game is better than the vast majority of any junior players.

Quite frankly, I have no idea why junior hockey is interesting to anyone who isn’t related to someone playing it, anyone from a small enough town where junior hockey is a big thing, to children who look up to them, or to pro scouts. Junior hockey is crap.

lol don't be butthurt because I questioned the validity of the tournament. World Juniors is more relevant than the Spengler because like I said above, these are young men who have their entire futures ahead of them.

Sorry it's a fact, Spengler Cup teams have long since peaked roster wise and to be honest, it just isn't very exciting to watch in my opinion. Hard pass.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Well I much rather watch Jarome Iginla in the beginning getting better and better every year than Ben Scrivens tending the pipes.

I understand you're hurt because I made a post that is pretty accurate on the calibre of tournament this is.
I apologize in turn for speaking truth about kiddy puck.
Enjoy your evening.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
People get excited about this?
I would kinda get this question on a football forum, but are you for real? You ask a punch of hockey fans if they get excited about hockey? And as people already commented, its a fun tradition, nobody remembers two years from now who won.

Also a very n-american approach to things "why should you care if its not best on best". Its about supporting your team and watching the game you love.
I go to my old hometown's finnish 3-division hockey games (5th highest tier of hockey here) becose I like to root for the guys and love watching hockey.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I would kinda get this question on a football forum, but are you for real? You ask a punch of hockey fans if they get excited about hockey? And as people already commented, its a fun tradition, nobody remembers two years from now who won.

Also a very n-american approach to things "why should you care if its not best on best". Its about supporting your team and watching the game you love.
I go to my old hometown's finnish 3-division hockey games (5th highest tier of hockey here) becose I like to root for the guys and love watching hockey.

I'm not American. And I enjoy quality not quantity.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
I'm not American. And I enjoy quality not quantity.
Gladly the vast majority of people disagree, or else there would only be one pro league per sport.

And as stated before any Spengler Cup team of any year would beat any junior hockey team ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad