Speculation: 2020 Seattle Expansion Draft

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Larkin, Mantha, AA will be protected (assuming they are all on the team). Who knows what else our roster looks like then

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Larkin, Mantha, AA will be protected (assuming they are all on the team). Who knows what else our roster looks like then

Don't forget Abbie.

Really, most of the awful contracts should be gone by that point, so beyond the above, it's sort of up to who signs terrible contracts in the intervening time. Ideally we won't have to protect any mediocre players solely because they were given NMCs next time.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Don't forget Abbie.

Really, most of the awful contracts should be gone by that point, so beyond the above, it's sort of up to who signs terrible contracts in the intervening time. Ideally we won't have to protect any mediocre players solely because they were given NMCs next time.
Abby can and should be left exposed. He only has a NTC

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Nielsen - no choice, NMC
Zetterberg - If he's not LTIRetired, do the red wings dare expose him and risk that he retires if selected?
----
AA - unless he signs a big contract and flops
Mantha - Ditto
Larkin - Ditto
---

Defense
-----
I'd protect Dekeyser, probably. But who cares?

Goalie
Who cares?

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Nielsen - no choice, NMC
Zetterberg - If he's not LTIRetired, do the red wings dare expose him and risk that he retires if selected?
----
AA - unless he signs a big contract and flops
Mantha - Ditto
Larkin - Ditto
---

Defense
-----
I'd protect Dekeyser, probably. But who cares?

Goalie
Who cares?

Wow.....no bueno. This team needs an influx of talent in a major way just looking at that.

I guess this expansion draft will not be so painful for the Wings.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Nielsen won't have a NMC in 2020, it ends this season. It was Vegas expansion protection.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You're also likely to see a lot less fooling around this time. They are better off just letting the one player be taken.

Odd that if Holland winds up with Seattle that his exact feelings on the Expansion Draft will be the trend setter more than likely he stuck dealing with after Vegas in my opinion.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What we should have..? hmmm...

protected:
1. Larkin
2. Nielsen - signed for 5.25M
3. Mantha
4. Abdelkader - signed for 4.25M
5. Athanasiou -
6. Bertuzzi
7. Svechnikov - 3rd year pro

1. Green - I believe he is extended until 2021
2. DeKeyser
3. Hronek - 3rd year pro

1. Some Goalie

Helm, Frk, Turgeon, Jensen, Puempel, Sulak, Russo, Saarijärvi, Holmström, Hicketts, Renouf, Sadowy etc. would be those guys left exposed.

Nyquist, Glendening, Ericsson, Daley will be traded away before the expansion.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
1. Green - I believe he is extended until 2021.
No offense, but I barely see Mike Green as a viable NHL player in 3 years, and I certainly wouldn't want him here (let alone at the salary he'd likely be making).

I really really hope Detroit's salary structure has taken a healthy turn by then.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I thought he keeps the NMC but that his NTC gets reduced.
I don't think a no move clause and limited no trade clause go hand in hand. I think the NMC in itself becomes modified.

Honestly I could be wrong, I think the NMC clause becomes waivers to the minors at that point - but wouldn't apply to the expansion draft. (as they can be traded, why would that be different than the array of M-NTCs that didn't have to be protected)

Edit: I'd have to go back but I'm pretty sure there were similar instances that were exposed in the Vegas expansion. (previous NMCs that became modified)

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't think a no move clause and limited no trade clause go hand in hand. I think the NMC in itself becomes modified.

Honestly I could be wrong, I think the NMC clause becomes waivers to the minors at that point - but wouldn't apply to the expansion draft. (as they can be traded, why would that be different than the array of M-NTCs that didn't have to be protected)

Edit: I'd have to go back but I'm pretty sure there were similar instances that were exposed in the Vegas expansion. (previous NMCs that became modified)

I could be wrong, I'm just going by what I think I heard on TV the other day.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I could be wrong, I'm just going by what I think I heard on TV the other day.
Oh, I didn't hear anything like that. I'd really like some clarification on this, I was under the impression last off-season - haven't looked into it since - that the M-NTC affected his NMC clause in that nature because (outside of the NMC minors stipulation) how can you have a NO MOVE clause while having a 10 team no-trade list.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Oh, I didn't hear anything like that. I'd really like some clarification on this, I was under the impression last off-season - haven't looked into it since - that the M-NTC affected his NMC clause in that nature because (outside of the NMC minors stipulation) how can you have a NO MOVE clause while having a 10 team no-trade list.

I don't know...but my guess is that if true, it probably has to do with the expansion drafts.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
This has to be one of the most unintentionally depressing threads we've had in awhile.

"Let's talk about the expansion draft."
"We don't have enough people to protect to worry about it."
:facepalm:
Sure makes it seem things are going to get A LOT worse before they even come close to getting better.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wings are 2 years out of the playoff picture. The rebuild, as far as I am concerned, started the 1st year removed from the POs. The vets on the team now are nothing more than warm bodies during this progress. No rebuild has successfully happened in less than 2 years.

I would rather these expansion drafts happen when it doesn't hurt. Would hate to lose someone we don't want to lose for nothing.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sure makes it seem things are going to get A LOT worse before they even come close to getting better.
Which is why I want as high a draft pick as possible for the next 2-3 drafts. It's going to include a ton of losing either way, so just bottom out, maximize your ammo in the draft, and hopefully hit a home run or two, to give guys like Larkin and Mantha some real help as they reach their prime years.

If Detroit somehow manages to come away with 2 good to very good players in June, and another 2 next summer, it will go a long way in changing this roster.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This has to be one of the most unintentionally depressing threads we've had in awhile.

"Let's talk about the expansion draft."
"We don't have enough people to protect to worry about it."
:facepalm:
I mean Toronto didn't need to worry much about the expansion draft this time. When most of your good players are in their first 3 years as pros you have an easy expansion draft. Guys like Rasmussen, Hronek, Cholowski, Saarijarvi and our '18 picks will be exempt. Now whether any of those kids turn into protection worthy players anyhow is another matter.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
edit: I think it'd be safe to add Nyquist to the list for now. His contract is technically up by then, but I'd assume he's re-signed if he's not traded. Regardless, it's something to consider with the protection numbers.

I mean Toronto didn't need to worry much about the expansion draft this time. When most of your good players are in their first 3 years as pros you have an easy expansion draft. Guys like Rasmussen, Hronek, Cholowski, Saarijarvi and our '18 picks will be exempt. Now whether any of those kids turn into protection worthy players anyhow is another matter.

That's the hope, but it seems like such a damning thing to say about the current state of the team. I don't think I'm overly negative about this club, but things like this make it a bit more understandable for me why others seem to be. There seems to be little about the big club to be really enthusiastic about.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
edit: I think it'd be safe to add Nyquist to the list for now. His contract is technically up by then, but I'd assume he's re-signed if he's not traded. Regardless, it's something to consider with the protection numbers.

That's the hope, but it seems like such a damning thing to say about the current state of the team. I don't think I'm overly negative about this club, but things like this make it a bit more understandable for me why others seem to be. There seems to be little about the big club to be really enthusiastic about.
I think Nyquist gets traded before then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad