2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
To build off @krutovsdonut and his list you have to also consider who has the protection room for Dumba as well as cap allocation as well as a top6 C. And doesn't get one of his similarily listed players for cheaper asset cost.

The list starts to become pretty small at that point for Minny

Reactions: krutovsdonut

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
To build off @krutovsdonut and his list you have to also consider who has the protection room for Dumba as well as cap allocation as well as a top6 C. And doesn't get one of his similarily listed players for cheaper asset cost.

The list starts to become pretty small at that point for Minny

yeah, great point. factor in protection list issues and a fit becomes even harder. guerin may be trying to move dumba early while there is still a fairly normal market before this reality sinks in. plus if he moves him now he knows he can add forwards he can protect in expansion.

reading some of the commentary on the league financial status in the main board, you also need to factor in that nhl owners are not all able to lose the kind of dollars they are about to lose even if things go fairly well with a restart. some of them may fire sale valuable contracts.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Well at least it’s a conversation... maybe if Loui knows it’s unlikely he will be on main roster (threaten Utica) it will push him to either retire (doubtful) or accept any trade to any team (even those not on his no trade list).

Not going to be easy, that’s for darn sure!

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

It's a pretty obvious situation at this point.
Benning reaches out to JP Barry and tells him that Eriksson wont be back in Vancouver and he will explore any and all trading opportunities to keep him in the show.

Barring a miracle we end up with 4.9 on the farm if Loui shows up and wants to ride the buses at 35. Lets hope the man has a conscience and realizes he has stolen enough money from the Canucks and graciously ends his hockey career in the SHL.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Hughes pushing hard for Tanev to comeback. I really don’t want Tanev back in all honesty when a cheaper, younger and better option in DeMelo is available.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hughes pushing hard for Tanev to comeback. I really don’t want Tanev back in all honesty when a cheaper, younger and better option in DeMelo is available.
I wouldn't mind Tanev back but he has to play ball to the tune of 2-3yrs at roughly his current rate.

I just dont see how he's gonna age well though. He's a smashed bucket of bolts at this point and i really don't see how he gets past 32 and has any degree of reliability. Would love to be proven wrong and i believe he's a good enough player and skater to do it.

I just have a bad feeling and a history that says otherwise. To say nothing about cap space.

a lot of tough decisions are coming

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think this is right off-season to make a trade for a top-4 defenseman with term or even sign guys like Tanev or Stecher to term. Wait it out until next summer and see how teams are looking before the expansion draft.

For now, look to acquire via trade or UFA a capable top-four guy who has 1yr left on his deal or is willing to take a 1yr contract. Grab one of the cap dumps from Arizona who have 1 yr left, either Gogligoski or Demers.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So Pagnotta saying the Minnesota Wild might be fishing around the goaltending market.

If so, Stalock would be a good target for the Canucks. Extremely cheap, had a good season last year, and still has 2 years left on his contract. Would be a capable backup for next year and then gives them a contract to expose in the draft next year.

If the Wild move on from Dumba and get a goalie (either from the Canucks or elsewhere) then Stalock for Stecher would make some sense.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don't think this is right off-season to make a trade for a top-4 defenseman with term or even sign guys like Tanev or Stecher to term. Wait it out until next summer and see how teams are looking before the expansion draft.

For now, look to acquire via trade or UFA a capable top-four guy who has 1yr left on his deal or is willing to take a 1yr contract. Grab one of the cap dumps from Arizona who have 1 yr left, either Gogligoski or Demers.

Demers already has used his NTC to veto a Vancouver trade, so I doubt that is happening.

The guy I'd want out of Phoenix is Hjalmarsson, who is a left-shot/right-side guy, not sure how enamoured our management group is of that sort of player, though (Goligoski is the same).

Again, if it's one-year-to-UFA flyers the guy I look at is Adam Larsson in Edmonton. Also Matt Niskanen in Philadelphia, though I think they'd want to keep him around one more year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Demers already has used his NTC to veto a Vancouver trade, so I doubt that is happening.

The guy I'd want out of Phoenix is Hjalmarsson, who is a left-shot/right-side guy, not sure how enamoured our management group is of that sort of player, though (Goligoski is the same).

Again, if it's one-year-to-UFA flyers the guy I look at is Adam Larsson in Edmonton. Also Matt Niskanen in Philadelphia, though I think they'd want to keep him around one more year.

Yeah, all good targets as well. Someone in this range would be fine. Someone who can give 80% of what Tanev does without the risks that go along with a long-term contract.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
We are in an excellent position to take advantage of having Hughes exempt from the Ex Draft and not needing to protect Edler or Myers either.
Basically it's Stecher Tanev(if re signed maybe) and Juolevi or Rafferty

Jimbo just needs to be patient as were not in a position to offer up anything other than Expensive players back (none of which have value or are too important ) unless they walk from Markstrom (because we dont have cap space) if its a significant contract coming back.

A possible move could be Sutter (at 3 million) and Virtanen for A.Larsson and a pick/Caleb Jones/Ryan Mcloed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Russo needs to take the homer glasses off. This isn’t a reality where Dumba comes close to netting you either of Horvat or Pettersson.

Did you listen to the clip? He didn't say that at all. He said the Canucks wouldn't trade EP/Horvat for Dumba so he doesn't see a fit. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Definitely looks like Brock Boeser for Dumba is dead in the water, thank God.

So Pagnotta saying the Minnesota Wild might be fishing around the goaltending market.

If so, Stalock would be a good target for the Canucks. Extremely cheap, had a good season last year, and still has 2 years left on his contract. Would be a capable backup for next year and then gives them a contract to expose in the draft next year.

If the Wild move on from Dumba and get a goalie (either from the Canucks or elsewhere) then Stalock for Stecher would make some sense.

Stalock sucks. He looks okay playing behind a strong defense, but any kind of shot-quality based goaltending analysis has him as one of the worst in the NHL.

Pagnotta is just ripping off Friedman with the goalie thing (he tweeted that like 10 minutes after Freidman dropped the goalie news in 31 thoughts).

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Unless they're just absolutely selling low on Dumba I can't see Gaudette being enough for the C they want.

Gaudette + Podkolzin doesn't seem like a deal they'd be after either, you generally don't want move one great asset for a collection of smaller pieces
I wouldn't trade Podkolzin straight up for Dumba. We need his skillset in the playoffs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Did you listen to the clip? He didn't say that at all. He said the Canucks wouldn't trade EP/Horvat for Dumba so he doesn't see a fit. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I didn't get to hear the clip, no, but that still seems to be the gist of it. I get that we don't have the C pieces that would get Minny's attention for Dumba, but any suggestion that the Canucks would even consider including one of Pettersson or Horvat (or that they'd have to) is out to lunch, IMO.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I didn't get to hear the clip, no, but that still seems to be the gist of it. I get that we don't have the C pieces that would get Minny's attention for Dumba, but any suggestion that the Canucks would even consider including one of Pettersson or Horvat (or that they'd have to) is out to lunch, IMO.

That wasn't being suggested.. at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad