2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I can't even get mad at the Booth trade. He was playing well until Kevin Porter went knee on knee and he wasn't the same at all after.

Agreed plus...

And why are people going on about losing Mitchell? I mean I think he was absolutely a big loss, but I would take Hamhuis over him, plus he wasn't even able to walk outside when we had to chose to replace him or stay with him. Ballard is a Red Herring in this.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
With Adam Fox and Jacob Trouba ahead on the depth chart long term, Tony DiAngelo should be our target. Young, 50+ point puck moving RHD thats an upcoming RFA. Not sure what the Rangers would be looking for? Something around Kole Lind+Roster player+? Gaudette?

Hard pass on Tony DeAngelo. He might be a skilled hockey player but he seems to be a very questionable human being.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

member 290103

Agreed plus...

And why are people going on about losing Mitchell? I mean I think he was absolutely a big loss, but I would take Hamhuis over him, plus he wasn't even able to walk outside when we had to chose to replace him or stay with him. Ballard is a Red Herring in this.

I don’t disagree that it seemed like the correct move at the time, but it as it turned out, it wasn’t.

The pro scouting on Ballard was flawed.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The one move by Gillis I will never, ever understand is the Marco Sturm signing.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
He definitely wasted no time in moving Sturm out though. 7 games in which he played 6 of, and he was gone.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Hard pass on Tony DeAngelo. He might be a skilled hockey player but he seems to be a very questionable human being.
This narrative is so, so overblown. Stop with this rumour. Just because he is on the right politically does not make him a 'questionable human being'. There are hundreds of millions with similar political views as him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
This narrative is so, so overblown. Stop with this rumour. Just because he is on the right politically does not make him a 'questionable human being'. There are hundreds of millions with similar political views as him.

There's a handful of incidents from his past that don't have anything to do with his political views that have followed him around and probably earned him the label he still carries.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
There's a handful of incidents from his past that don't have anything to do with his political views that have followed him around and probably earned him the label he still carries.
No. Incidents from when he was a young kid do not apply to him today. He is well loved by his teammates today. The only reason people say he has character issues is because he likes Trump.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Letting Markström and Tanev go with the idea that the Canucks would use that money to invest in a premium UFA defenseman (I’m assuming that the cap won’t go down due to the covid situation, but I’m likely wrong here).

The logic behind this being: Demko + better overall defense > Markström + current defense.

I wonder if this would be the better way to go.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
No. Incidents from when he was a young kid do not apply to him today. He is well loved by his teammates today. The only reason people say he has character issues is because he likes Trump.
That's clearly not the only reason. I actually had no idea of his political affiliation and constant twitter support for Trump until you brought it up right now.

Literally the only thing that comes to my mind when I think of Deangelo off the ice is how much of a tool he was at 17-18 and that it's his 3rd organization.

I fully believe that it's relatively unfair to judge someone based off of what they do/say at 18 and that I personally wouldn't use it as something to judge his current character by but I understand how someone's brain instantly associates character issues with him.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Some Benning quotes on the prospects

Hoglander

Benning says: “First of all, he’s a year older for his draft, so he a little more physically mature and mentally mature. He’s got good hands and skillset, and he protects the puck well. He’s strong for his size. When we get him signed and get him over here and on to the smaller ice, we’ll see where he’s at. But he’s definitely got all the tools to come in and compete in the fall. The way he plays the game and the things he’s good at, we’ll think he’ll make the adjustment.”

Podkolzin

Benning says: “He’s close to being an NHL player right now because of his size and strength. He’s willing to play a physical game, and he has the hands and vision to play with good players. He plays a 200-foot game. He’s a pretty complete player. He’s got one more year left on his contract, and he’s going to honour that and then we’ll see. I think he’s a guy, with the physical skill set and the size and the strength, that can make the jump.”

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Dylan Strome is on the trade market and asking price doesn't seem to be too high

Maybe something around Gaudette+ or Virtanen+ can be worked out

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The one move by Gillis I will never, ever understand is the Marco Sturm signing.

It was completely random and a clear mistake, but at least he turned 6 games of Sturm and a falling-apart Samuelsson into 60 solid games of Booth.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Dylan Strome is on the trade market and asking price doesn't seem to be too high

D. Strome seems like a boom-or-bust type of player to me. In other words, he puts up points and doesn't do too much else. So if he ever struggles to produce, he's not doing much else to help the team. That's just based on my limited time watching him (and having him on my fantasy team that tracks a lot of different stats). Kind of similar to Baertschi. I don't think the Canucks are in a position to take a gamble on him, especially since he's currently an RFA and will get a raise.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I’d trade Boeser for Strome. Maybe we get an asset or two extra.

Would be interested in strome at bargain price

At a low price, sure I'd be interested in Strome. I think something even like Gaudette+ or Virtanen+ seems fair.

Hard pass on Boeser for Strome. This was Boeser's worst season in goal-scoring (and he still produced well) but took a massive step forward with his two-way play. Even relative to the defensive mess on Chicago, Strome is pretty uniquely poor defensively (based on his RAPM numbers). He would need to play a very sheltered, scoring role. Boeser can do a lot more for us, IMO. The add on Chicago's side would have to be pretty significant.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It was completely random and a clear mistake, but at least he turned 6 games of Sturm and a falling-apart Samuelsson into 60 solid games of Booth.

Booth was a negative-value contract at the time so it was basically just swapping issues. It was an intriguing gamble by Gillis that didn't really work out.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
At a low price, sure I'd be interested in Strome. I think something even like Gaudette+ or Virtanen+ seems fair.

Hard pass on Boeser for Strome. This was Boeser's worst season in goal-scoring (and he still produced well) but took a massive step forward with his two-way play. Even relative to the defensive mess on Chicago, Strome is pretty uniquely poor defensively (based on his RAPM numbers). He would need to play a very sheltered, scoring role. Boeser can do a lot more for us, IMO. The add on Chicago's side would have to be pretty significant.

Agreed no way would I give up Boeser for Strome. Friedman made it seem like the price would be cheap anyways. Lurker the Blackhawks board and seems like not many of them are high on strome anyways.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Booth was a negative-value contract at the time so it was basically just swapping issues. It was an intriguing gamble by Gillis that didn't really work out.

Booth was a very effective player for the healthy season we had him for. If healthy, there is no way he would be considered a negative-value contract in hindsight. He got a dirty knee-on-knee hit and that effectively cut his career short.

It was a good trade, logic-wise.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Hindsight nonsense. Booth was a solid middle 6 forward who scored at a 20+ goal 40+ point rate for us until his injury woes.

Reactions: vanuck

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Booth was a very effective player for the healthy season we had him for. If healthy, there is no way he would be considered a negative-value contract in hindsight. He got a dirty knee-on-knee hit and that effectively cut his career short.

It was a good trade, logic-wise.

Agreed. Worthwhile gamble for sure. That doesn't change that he had large contract with term that Florida wanted out of. That's why he was traded for basically nothing.

Hindsight nonsense. Booth was a solid middle 6 forward who scored at a 20+ goal 40+ point rate for us until his injury woes.

He was a salary dump by Florida at the time. They wanted out of that contract and it was a worthwhile gamble by Gillis as he was an element they needed.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Agreed. Worthwhile gamble for sure. That doesn't change that he had large contract with term that Florida wanted out of. That's why he was traded for basically nothing.

He was a salary dump by Florida at the time. They wanted out of that contract and it was a worthwhile gamble by Gillis as he was an element they needed.

they wanted out of the contract, but that didn’t make him a negative value asset. His contract wasn’t poor value until he was injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->