2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
........and that was one of his best trades....though he then went back to normal and traded that 2nd round pick for Sutter, ruining the trade entirely.
Subsequent bad trades don't "ruin" earlier good trades. By your rationale, I could just as easily say that the Canucks didn't actually include a 2nd round pick in the Sutter trade -- they included Kevin Bieksa. And it's a good thing, too, since he's less valuable than a 2nd round pick.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Subsequent bad trades don't "ruin" earlier good trades. By your rationale, I could just as easily say that the Canucks didn't actually include a 2nd round pick in the Sutter trade -- they included Kevin Bieksa. And it's a good thing, too, since he's less valuable than a 2nd round pick.
The Canucks could have added a 7th instead of that 2nd and that trade would have still been horrendous.

Reactions: mathonwy

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
The Canucks could have added a 7th instead of that 2nd and that trade would have still been horrendous.
While it has nothing to do with what I said, this statement does suggest you understand that the two trades were separate. I'll take it.

member 290103

Sure it does. Benning actually acquired a future when the team should have been rebuilding and instead of "building through the draft" like he proclaimed was the best strategy, he instead reverted to his usual imbecile self and dealt the pick for a horrendously overrated bottom 6 forward and then compounded things even further by handing him an absurd contract.

Stop making excuses for his idiocy.

Reactions: pomorick

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

This has nothing to do with what they were discussing.
It was about Benning's general ability to negotiate deals based on his body of work. All of his moves are relevant.

You sure love to make straw man arguments that detract from what people are actually discussing, hey?

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
This has nothing to do with what they were discussing.
It was about Benning's general ability to negotiate deals based on his body of work. All of his moves are relevant.

You sure love to make straw man arguments that detract from what people are actually discussing, hey?
It's literally exactly what he said -- that one trade "ruined" another. I'm all for people discussing anything they like and I probably agree with the poster's general position on management. I just think people are so eager to repetitively criticize management that they've long since resorted to means that are superstitious, uninteresting and willfully stupid and that this behaviour is tacitly overlooked out of convenience in order that we all be able to continue criticizing management without actually expending any effort, or wasting energy sorting events to weed out the few that contradict or fail to support what we're saying. No one who expends that small amount of effort will ever hear from me, yourself included.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's literally exactly what he said -- that one trade "ruined" another. I'm all for people discussing anything they like and I probably agree without the poster's general position on management. I just think people are so eager to repetitively criticize management that they've long since resorted to means that are superstitious, uninteresting and willfully stupid and that this behaviour is tacitly overlooked out of convenience in order that we all be able to continue criticizing management without actually expending any effort, or wasting energy sorting events to weed out the few that contradict or fail to support what we're saying. No one who expends that small amount of effort will ever hear from me, yourself included.

That’s all irrelevant here. Look at the context and history of those posts above. It was about Benning’s overall ability to make moves, so all transactions are relevant.

I get what you’re saying, but you’re picking an inappropriate time to get on your soapbox here. Your point just doesn’t make sense in the context of this discussion.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I would love to see some ideas on improving the Canucks defense. My idea is to winkle Jonas Brodin out of Minnesota, sign Trevor van Reimsdyck to a 2 year deal, let Tanev walk, trade Stecher, and pray like hell Rafferty, Rathbone and Woo develop into solid 3rd pairing guys at a minimum. Then you get:

2020-2021
Hughes Myers
Brodin TvR
Edler Rafferty
Benn

2021-2022 (Edler goes)
Hughes Myers
Brodin TvR
Rathbone Rafferty
?

2022-2023 (TvR goes)
Hughes Myers
Brodin Rafferty
Rathbone Woo
?

How to get Brodin? Well Minnesota will have to make some decisions about their defense and they might decide they can't extend Brodin, who will be UFA at the end of next season. So maybe the Canucks can put together something centred on Jake Virtanen, who I view as the best combination of expendable and tradable on the Canucks. No doubt other teams will be looking at Brodin so this can only work if the Wild really like Virtanen.

Don't ask me to make this work with the cap.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I would love to see some ideas on improving the Canucks defense. My idea is to winkle Jonas Brodin out of Minnesota, sign Trevor van Reimsdyck to a 2 year deal, let Tanev walk, trade Stecher, and pray like hell Rafferty, Rathbone and Woo develop into solid 3rd pairing guys at a minimum. Then you get:

2020-2021
Hughes Myers
Brodin TvR
Edler Rafferty
Benn

2021-2022 (Edler goes)
Hughes Myers
Brodin TvR
Rathbone Rafferty
?

2022-2023 (TvR goes)
Hughes Myers
Brodin Rafferty
Rathbone Woo
?

How to get Brodin? Well Minnesota will have to make some decisions about their defense and they might decide they can't extend Brodin, who will be UFA at the end of next season. So maybe the Canucks can put together something centred on Jake Virtanen, who I view as the best combination of expendable and tradable on the Canucks. No doubt other teams will be looking at Brodin so this can only work if the Wild really like Virtanen.

Don't ask me to make this work with the cap.

Maybe if we're lucky, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that Minnesota would want a package of Boeser + , especially since he's a hometown kid.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'd love Brodin too, especially as a replacement for Tanev. But I don't think we have the pieces. Virtanen + secondary assets probably won't get it done.

If we re-sign Toffoli, maybe a straight swap with Boeser? That'd be an uncomfortable one though.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Brodin is a UFA at the end of next season and not even half as good as Boeser. That’s horrible for the nucks.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I wonder (if two compliance buyouts become available) if the Canucks could petition the league to use one on the Luongo recapture penalty. I imagine the answer would be no, but getting rid of that empty 3 mill for the next two years could be incredibly valuable.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I'm more interested to see what happens with our first-round pick and what they do with the lottery.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
With Adam Fox and Jacob Trouba ahead on the depth chart long term, Tony DiAngelo should be our target. Young, 50+ point puck moving RHD thats an upcoming RFA. Not sure what the Rangers would be looking for? Something around Kole Lind+Roster player+? Gaudette?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
With Adam Fox and Jacob Trouba ahead on the depth chart long term, Tony DiAngelo should be our target. Young, 50+ point puck moving RHD thats an upcoming RFA. Not sure what the Rangers would be looking for? Something around Kole Lind+Roster player+? Gaudette?
He's one of my favourite players. He'd take way more than that. D-men who are capable of 60+ points and still young don't grow on trees. Think Podkolzin+ or Hoglander+++ at least.

member 290103

Sportsnet running an article where Burke said he went hard after Luongo, but Gillis wanted Gardiner, Kadri and two firsts.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Sportsnet running an article where Burke said he went hard after Luongo, but Gillis wanted Gardiner, Kadri and two firsts.

I believe that was likely Gillis' starting offer to kick off negotiations, but find it hard to believe that it was a realistic demand.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Gillis always over asked...which looking back is kind of refreshing considering trader Jim always over offers and gets bent over on every deal.
Yeah I’d rather our gm over ask and stand pat then take what he can get and lose the deal badly. With that said, although the Luongo deal worked out in the end and we ended up with Marky, the goalie fiasco was a massive distraction for the team imo.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Will never get over how Gillis' biggest mismanagement and ultimately what got him fired in the goalie controversy still landed us a premium starting goalie and our team captain

Reactions: racerjoe

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I think Gillis biggest mismanagement was being too stingy to part with draft picks and assets to add to our team when we were contending. He should've brought in a legit top 3/6 winger and paid a premium price no matter the cost. He was truly the anti-Benning in that he'd penny-pinch on every deal and try to squeeze and or save every asset he could. In the long run, I think you need a balance of both.

member 290103

I think Gillis biggest mismanagement was being too stingy to part with draft picks and assets to add to our team when we were contending. He should've brought in a legit top 3/6 winger and paid a premium price no matter the cost. He was truly the anti-Benning in that he'd penny-pinch on every deal and try to squeeze and or save every asset he could. In the long run, I think you need a balance of both.

Gillis did make some poor moves. Bringing in Booth rather than another better player hurt the team. Not resigning Willie Mitchell and instead moving prime assets for Ballard was terrible.

All these moves were understandable but ultimately all backfired.

I’d have loved to see Mitchell on the blue line in the SCF.

Last edited by a moderator:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can't even get mad at the Booth trade. He was playing well until Kevin Porter went knee on knee and he wasn't the same at all after.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->