Red Sox/MLB RIP Tom Seaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
God that is beyond stupid even for MLB & MLBPA and I've been watching them wreck this sport for over 40 years now.

Cancel it.

The players wanted to be with family and the owners wanted fans to see the ads inside the ballpark.

You think MLB has a problem? How many droplets are passed on every football play?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Is the season in trouble? Yes, it very much is. But I don't think it's just because of the lack of a bubble. I think it's going to be a problem for the NHL and NBA as well because it's about the risk of exposure more than anything. The bubble may help limit that, but as we've seen in the NBA a handful of times already, there are players sneaking out all the time. It's human nature and these guys aren't used to not being able to do whatever they want, whenever they want.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Is the season in trouble? Yes, it very much is. But I don't think it's just because of the lack of a bubble. I think it's going to be a problem for the NHL and NBA as well because it's about the risk of exposure more than anything. The bubble may help limit that, but as we've seen in the NBA a handful of times already, there are players sneaking out all the time. It's human nature and these guys aren't used to not being able to do whatever they want, whenever they want.

I'd say it is past time for them to grow the f*** up but that would fall on deaf ears I'm sure. Nobody and I mean nobody is more coddled, entitled and privileged than a major sport professional athlete.

Reactions: Smitty93 and LSCII

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I think NHL should be fine.
Canada has pretty much eliminated the virus. They could probably even have fans at some capacity if they really wanted to.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'd say it is past time for them to grow the f*** up but that would fall on deaf ears I'm sure. Nobody and I mean nobody is more coddled, entitled and privileged than a major sport professional athlete.

Exactly. But that sense of entitlement that these guys have is what you're fighting against. It's going to be really hard to keep all these guys safe and the risk of exposure down low because they'll do something stupid and ruin the entire thing. All it takes is one moron. I mean look at Rudy Goburt. He thought it was a big joke, touched everyone shit in the locker room and ended up testing positive and getting a teammate sick too. And that was early on. Now that time has passed and people think it's getting back to a sense of normalcy and with them being in their respective bubbles, their guards will be lower.

Reactions: BMC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If this is true (Phillies beat reporter), it's absolutely irresponsible of the Marlins:

I can accept that, at some point, someone's going to get COVID - even with the best hygenic protocols (and, to some degree, hygenic theater), there are going to be breaches. But once you find out that you have someone test positive, your reaction to that news is all on you. I presume they needed to report it to someone IN THE LEAGUE, not just keep it in their team. And if there aren't league protocols, that's on the league.

Honestly? IMO, NL East should be 4 teams for the year. Suspend them for the season if this is true. Gives some extra days off to the other teams. Phillies can take whatever time off is necessary, and play double headers as well as fill in spots on MIA's missing games.

That's if the rest of the season is even playable. Who knows how far this will spread.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If this is true (Phillies beat reporter), it's absolutely irresponsible of the Marlins:

I can accept that, at some point, someone's going to get COVID - even with the best hygenic protocols (and, to some degree, hygenic theater), there are going to be breaches. But once you find out that you have someone test positive, your reaction to that news is all on you. I presume they needed to report it to someone IN THE LEAGUE, not just keep it in their team. And if there aren't league protocols, that's on the league.

Honestly? IMO, NL East should be 4 teams for the year. Suspend them for the season if this is true. Gives some extra days off to the other teams. Phillies can take whatever time off is necessary, and play double headers as well as fill in spots on MIA's missing games.

That's if the rest of the season is even playable. Who knows how far this will spread.

The problem is that they were the ones with the power to decide - decisions about a global pandemic shouldn’t be left to a baseball clubhouse.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think baseball's failure to reflect reality will mean this season won't be completed. Fans are a major part of sports, but it's not the only thing that's missing. I like what the NHL and NBA are doing. Time will tell if they will work out smoothly or at all, but I have high hopes.

I think so much will change about how we view the world by the time this thing is over. Our concepts of social norms, and what is sports?, will change. I like what the NBA/NHL are doing with the camera angles and digital screens. Perhaps packed arenas will never be the same again. Perhaps the concepts of regular seasons will go away, or just for a while. I could see the NHL going to a tournament style season for 2021-22 and foregoing the traditional season. I don't see how the NFL will pull things off. There has to be some kind of bubble/containment or else, the virus will get in. The odds are way to high. Even with a bubble, it might get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->