Confirmed Signing with Link: 2020 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pretty unbelievable that Rangers didn't sign Gross if you'd ask me. Probably was the best shutdown player in the entire CHL this past season.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Pretty unbelievable that Rangers didn't sign Gross if you'd ask me. Probably was the best shutdown player in the entire CHL this past season.
I think we're seeing an organizational shift in the Rangers prospect signings.

Since John Davidson's hire as President, the Rangers have signed 9 players to ELCs and just one of those players came from the CHL (Matthew Robertson, who is also the only player picked from the CHL during the one draft under Davidson's tenure). I think the large number of CHL signings that are largely underwhelming over the last few years for the Rangers (Sean Day, Dawson Leedahl, Jake Elmer, Brandon Crawley, Ty Ronning, Ryan Gropp, Sergei Zborovsky, Brad Morrison, Keegan Iverson, Ryan Mantha, Richard Nejezchleb and Daniel Walcott were all drafted or signed by the Rangers in the last five years out of the CHL and all either spent portions of last season in the ECHL or are out of the organization completely), has seen them shift their focus from the CHL to US college or European development systems.

It really feels like a changing in drafting philosophy in New York.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Speaking of organization shifts, the Panthers drafted 4 (!!) not first-time eligible/older players in last year's draft: they signed one (John Luvdig), one is in college (Carter Berger) and they let two of them go already (Meireles and Wedman).

Reactions: uncleben

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

As mentioned in the replies, Murray played pro hockey with Rochester last season, yet somehow remains on the reserve list. Just like all of us, CspFriendly is as mystified by the NHL and its fascinating rules as the rest of us.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Douglas is a fascinating physical package: 6’9”, 236lbs and scored 30 goals in the OHL last year. I suspect he’ll be picked up in the draft.

I feel like there are a few victims of uncertainty here

Meireles is one I think will sign pro, at some level, somewhere

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I feel like there are a few victims of uncertainty here

Meireles is one I think will sign pro, at some level, somewhere
Wedman's another one hurt by the shutdown. Was acquired by the Memorial Cup-hosting Kelowna Rockets and was a point-a-game player for them as they were CRUSHED by injuries down the stretch, and would have gotten extra exposure at the Memorial Cup. Alas!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
For those who can't or choose not to go back into the draft (wait, can they even do that?), there will surely be at least 2-way AHL contracts for them to be had somewhere out there.

I'm actually surprised a few of the teams didn't just do things like the Islanders. They signed Blade Jenkins to an ELC, but the two (double) overagers taken last summer (Coskey and Bibeau) were signed to one-year contracts with the team's AHL affiliate. Problem solved.

Looks like that may have made major sense for no less than Meireles and Wedman.

Not sure what the rules are with respect to guys like Henman, Douglas, Houde, McShane, etc. Are they obligated to re-enter the draft or can they first sign and AHL/ECHL contract AFTER the draft takes place, one way or the other?

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
For those who can't or choose not to go back into the draft (wait, can they even do that?), there will surely be at least 2-way AHL contracts for them to be had somewhere out there.

I'm actually surprised a few of the teams didn't just do things like the Islanders. They signed Blade Jenkins to an ELC, but the two (double) overagers taken last summer (Coskey and Bibeau) were signed to one-year contracts with the team's AHL affiliate. Problem solved.

Not sure what the rules are with respect to guys like Henman, Douglas, Houde, McShane, etc. Are they obligated to re-enter the draft or can they first sign and AHL/ECHL contract AFTER the draft takes place, one way or the other?

The players born in 2000 will re-enter and then be FAs after, if they go undrafted.

The (NA-based) born 1999 or earlier will become FAs (not sure if FA right away or July 1st).

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Stryker78

Jul 5, 2009
Montreal
What's happening with those prospects that was on the list of expiring rights ?

BUF|Glotov, Vasili|C|23|5.11|181|St. Petersburg (VHL)|2016|7|190|June 1st, 2020|
NAS|Yeryomenko, Vladislav|RHD|Dinamo Minsk (KHL)|2018|5|151|June 1st, 2020|^
PIT|Masonius, Joe|LHD|23|6.00|190|Greenville (ECHL)|2016|6|161|Pittsburgh|June 1st, 2020|
TBL|Salda, Radim|LHD|Kralove (Czech)|2018|7|206|June 1st, 2020|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

They may not be interested in signing an AHL contract, some guys would probably rather rejoin the draft and sign wherever they want after

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
They may not be interested in signing an AHL contract, some guys would probably rather rejoin the draft and sign wherever they want after

Absolutely. Very much an option. In some cases, the best.

In fact, I guess a GM would have to be pretty convincing to a player's camp, which itself would need to be very realistic about that player's possibilities, to get a drafted player to skip out on an ELC in favor of signing an AHL contract.

It's very possible that all these guys like Douglas, Houde, Henman, etc. have chosen to go the re-entry route as opposed to remain a part of their draft organization on a purely AHL contract.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Absolutely. Very much an option. In some cases, the best.

In fact, I guess a GM would have to be pretty convincing to a player's camp, which itself would need to be very realistic about that player's possibilities, to get a drafted player to skip out on an ELC in favor of signing an AHL contract.

It's very possible that all these guys like Douglas, Houde, Henman, etc. have chosen to go the re-entry route as opposed to remain a part of their draft organization on a purely AHL contract.
Yup. Even if they don’t get drafted at least they can choose the org and the location they want, wether that’s AHL or better

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Douglas is a fascinating physical package: 6’9”, 236lbs and scored 30 goals in the OHL last year. I suspect he’ll be picked up in the draft.

That's... interesting. So the Stars weren't open to signing a prospect over ~140 k a year? I get there are financial losses, but if the org thought he was good enough to warrant an ELC contract why throw that away?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
That's... interesting. So the Stars weren't open to signing a prospect over ~140 k a year? I get there are financial losses, but if the org thought he was good enough to warrant an ELC contract why throw that away?

Yea that doesn't make sense, if their balance sheet is that bad that they can't sign a guy to an ELC how deep are their issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad