Boston Bruins 2020 PLAYOFFS - THE BEAR invades the Toronto bubble

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
who they play next round is not a relevant issue. we should be focused on Wash/TB being the 2 and 3 seed. That's literally all that matters. Throw a game if you have to.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I hope to see Frederic in over most of the other options. He can play much more physical than Ritchie and handle the heavy stuff and has decent hands. Maybe just maybe he can play with Krech, at least he is not a burner speed wise and Krech could keep up to him versus Kase or Jake.

Reactions: Fenian24

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
How do tiebreakers for the round robin work? Head-to-Head, then goal difference if it's a 3-way tie? Does it draw from the regular season at all or just from the RR?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
How do tiebreakers for the round robin work? Head-to-Head, then goal difference if it's a 3-way tie? Does it draw from the regular season at all or just from the RR?

Nope, the sole tiebreaker is regular season standings, so if it’s a tie, we automatically win. But it’s still two points for regulation, one point for an OTL, and with minimal games, we can’t afford to tie for 60 minutes.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Only tiebreaker is regular season points %. If the Bruins tie anyone in points, they win the tiebreaker.

Reactions: Bruinator

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I believe they said if two teams are tied, it reverts to reg season standing so if Boston is tied in points with any of them, they would win the higher seed.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Nope, the sole tiebreaker is regular season standings, so if it’s a tie, we automatically win. But it’s still two points for regulation, one point for an OTL, and with minimal games, we can’t afford to tie for 60 minutes.
Only tiebreaker is regular season points %. If the Bruins tie anyone in points, they win the tiebreaker.

Good. If we get to 4 points we're in good shape for at least the 2 seed. Though theoretically Philly could beat WSH and lose to TB in OT, while we beat TB in OT and then they'd both have 5 and we'd have 4. But chances of that are lower.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I mean he's calling a spade a spade. They have shown some chemistry here and there over the course of their years together... but too often they have none and generate nothing. Debrusk with Coyle and Bjork should force JD to play faster.

Got bored and looked at DeBrusk numbers over the last two years with and away from Krejci, Coyle, Bjork and Kuhlman. I included Kuhlman because he had some decent 5v5 TOI with DeBrusk. Anyways instead of putting the with and without, I just create a table showing the difference.

A positive # means he was better away from said player in the category, while a negative means he was worse away.

WithTOI WithCF% DiffSF% DiffGF% DiffxGF% DiffSCF% DiffHDCF% Diff
David Krejci1202-4.28-2.08-12.51.420.194.21
Charlie Coyle3620.462.0912.55-2.91-0.9-4.44
Karson Kuhlman2402.16-2.07-15.444.987.845.51
Anders Bjork140-3.99-4.15-5.61-1.86-4.644.21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So looking at these four guys, DeBrusk across the board seems to be worse away from Bjork (although the smallest sample size). If you want to just look at the centers, DeBrusk has a stronger xGF% and creates slight more chances away from Krejci, but his CF% and SF% are worse. With Coyle the opposite is true.

Possesion and shots, you put DeBrusk w/ Krejci and Bjork
xGF and scoring chances, you put DeBrusk w/ Coyle and Bjork

Sorry, I had this written yesterday and lost power so I was unable to post till now lol

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
When does he shoulder some of the blame for the revolving door? No doubt about it he gets the leftovers and Bergeron gets fed first, but JD and Krech have been very Jekyll and Hyde together, that blame shouldnt be all on JD... also once Kuhlman is replaced by Kase, I don't think it's fair to say he's got bad wingers. Ritchie is a big body LW with good hands... obviously Krech played great with Looch, and Kase is a skilled guy who likes to shoot. Anyways, my main point is that some of this falls on Krejci.

I don't blame either of them. I think DeBrusk plays better with linemates that push the pace and force him to skate north/south. Krejci is at his best when he can slow things down and go east/west. Can the two get hot together from time to time, sure anyone can. For the most part though their styles just don't mess well with each other.

Ritchie is a bottom 6 winger whose career P/GP puts him at a 30pt winger. He's a slightly more offensive version of a 4th line enforcer in my opinion. Yes Krejci played great with Lucic....but Lucic at 24yr old had a P/GP just shy of 50pts and had a 30G season under his belt. He was significantly better than Nick Ritchie.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Good. If we get to 4 points we're in good shape for at least the 2 seed. Though theoretically Philly could beat WSH and lose to TB in OT, while we beat TB in OT and then they'd both have 5 and we'd have 4. But chances of that are lower.

There's a few interesting scenarios. The one you mentioned. Another is Bruins win in regulation today, while the Flyers beat the Caps tomorrow in regulation, and then the Flyers beat the Lightning in any fashion on Saturday, and then the Caps beat the Bruins in OT on Sunday. Bruins would finish with 3 points, but get the 2nd seed, since Philly would end up with 6, Washington with 3, and Tampa with 2 or 3.

There's also a scenario where Bruins are locked into the 4th seed after everyone's 2nd game, if they lose in regulation today and Washington beats Philly in OT tomorrow.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Now that we've all but locked up last, might as well rest the stars to not risk injury. My game 4 forwards:

DeBrusk-Coyle-Bjork
Ritchie-Studnicka-Kase (if he can go, or Senyshen, forgot he's with the team)
Nordstron-Kuraly-Wagner
Lindholm-Frederick-Kuhlman

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Next exhibition game

IN
Kase
Studnicka
Frederick
Zach

March - Krejci - Pasta
DeBrusk - Coyle - Kase
Bjork - Studnicka - Zach
Lindholm - Frederick - Wagner

Rest Bergeron perhaps March and Pasta as well. Krejci needs the extra work out time.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Definitely sit Bergeron on Sunday because the Capitals are going to be running around trying to injure people again.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I’m all for the sitting of Bergeron. There’s a few I’d sit in punishment as well, but probably not the best idea.

I’d like to see someone else in for Kuhlman if Kase still isn’t ready. Like Stud or Senyshyn.

Debrusk needs something to get going, not quite sure what that is.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Washington needs to win tomorrow and Philly needs 1 point (in 2 games) in order for the Sunday game to be completely meaningless for the Bruins. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Now that we've all but locked up last, might as well rest the stars to not risk injury. My game 4 forwards:

DeBrusk-Coyle-Bjork
Ritchie-Studnicka-Kase (if he can go, or Senyshen, forgot he's with the team)
Nordstron-Kuraly-Wagner
Lindholm-Frederick-Kuhlman

Do you think those stars (1st line + Krejci) are ready to play playoff hockey? Because I don't. I don't think they're close. I think they need every available game rep, especially Krejci with Kase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad