Rumor: 2020 Playoff Idea

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Boredom thread here folks.

Heard this one yesterday. I kinda like it.

Top teams in each division get a bye (by point total %)

2 and 3rd place teams in each division play a best of 7 (by point total %)

then a wildcard play in where it is a 1 game take all in round 1 at site of team with best % point total. Team 1 vs Team 8. Team 2 vs Team 7. Team 3 vs Team 6 and Team 4 vs Team 5.

then winners of each play in game play a best 3 of 5 playoff bracket to get into main round.

Winners of each side of wildcard playin tournament then play the bye teams where matchups decided by Reg season point total %.

then divisional series. then conference series. then SC finals. like normal.

Bottom 2 teams in east and 3 teams in west play for TOP picks in draft. Where last place team in league gets 1st round bye. and then 4 teams play 3 games against each other. The loser gets the 5th pick. Top 3 teams + last place team make TOP pick tournament. Then based on reg season points % the seeds are set. and series decides the top pick rather than a lottery ball.

This way all teams come back and play.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Here’s one i though. Everyone pay to a shortened 76 game schedule in a sprint of game every second night or max 1 back to back in there. Our last one would be against Florida!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Boredom thread here folks.

Heard this one yesterday. I kinda like it.

Top teams in each division get a bye (by point total %)

2 and 3rd place teams in each division play a best of 7 (by point total %)

then a wildcard play in where it is a 1 game take all in round 1 at site of team with best % point total. Team 1 vs Team 8. Team 2 vs Team 7. Team 3 vs Team 6 and Team 4 vs Team 5.

then winners of each play in game play a best 3 of 5 playoff bracket to get into main round.

Winners of each side of wildcard playin tournament then play the bye teams where matchups decided by Reg season point total %.

then divisional series. then conference series. then SC finals. like normal.

Bottom 2 teams in east and 3 teams in west play for TOP picks in draft. Where last place team in league gets 1st round bye. and then 4 teams play 3 games against each other. The loser gets the 5th pick. Top 3 teams + last place team make TOP pick tournament. Then based on reg season points % the seeds are set. and series decides the top pick rather than a lottery ball.

This way all teams come back and play.
Not really fair on the teams that have the bye to have to wait for a 7 game series to end so they can start up.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
No team will want a bye week. Its not an advantage to be off and face a team that has played already, considering the circumstances.

Reactions: banks

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Playing the rest of the season out and having two 3 out of 5 series and two 4 out of 7 series is a really fair way to do it. Owners wouldn’t want to lose a home game of potential playoff revenue each on that idea. Players are also getting paid anyways so there are factors to consider there also. Canadian teams all make money off regular season games. Teams out and in terrible markets don’t. Playing the games regardless now is a profit when comparing it to a cancelled reg season with players paid regardless.

Follow the money and we will get our answer like usual. So calculating the money produced on average of playoff revenue against with the normal 7 games and the money a complete regular season adds against two 5 game series and two 7 game series.

Possibly finishing the regular season and shortening the first two rounds buys a week of time and shakes out better for profits. Thats how i could see it going.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Playing the rest of the season out and having two 3 out of 5 series and two 4 out of 7 series is a really fair way to do it. Owners wouldn’t want to lose a home game of potential playoff revenue each on that idea. Players are also getting paid anyways so there are factors to consider there also. Canadian teams all make money off regular season games. Teams out and in terrible markets don’t. Playing the games regardless now is a profit when comparing it to a cancelled reg season with players paid regardless.

Follow the money and we will get our answer like usual. So calculating the money produced on average of playoff revenue against with the normal 7 games and the money a complete regular season adds against two 5 game series and two 7 game series.

Possibly finishing the regular season and shortening the first two rounds buys a week of time and shakes out better for profits. Thats how i could see it going.

There is 196 gates left if they finished the season! The average amount of games played in the playoffs under the current format is 86 out of the possible 105 games. Going 3 out of 5 first two rounds could possibly come out equally as good,save time and save the cap. This could help and i am down with watching games out on the deck ;)

Series could be 2-2-1 with higher seeds getting the extra home date if it goes 5. Profit sharing is important in all this equation also. Profit keeps teams from struggling next year and it gets the working folks that works games money back in their pockets. Under the circumstances i would watch all 7 game series and a full regular season just to bring everyone back to normal. As a fan i say go as long as you want for economic growth for all.

Here is a chart:

THE PUCK REPORT: NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Length By Days & Games

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The only way this would be remotely possible is if there was a designated venue set up for a playoff tournament with no fans, and all the team personnel were in isolation throughout at a designated nearby hotel where all the staff would also be in isolation for the duration of the tournament.

It's a longshot, but if everyone involved was not in contact with the public throughout, it could theoretically be possible at a single venue in Canada in several weeks from now.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Better idea.
Why don't all the players on all the playoff teams play out the season and the playoffs on NHL 20?
They all play their virtual counterpart in the game, so its actually them playing at home and on the ice.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
While I personally don't see any light at the end of the tunnel that this season will be salvaged any time soon.

There might still be a remote possibility if this extends into late summer that the NHL simply has a small tournament likely cutting playoff teams from 16 down to 8 only and the top 2 teams in each Div and 4 in each Conference qualify, which now playoff to reward a Cup winner for this season.

Atlantic #1 vs Atlantic #2 & Metro #1 Vs Metro #2 etc..

Winner Atlantic vs winner Metro = Winner of the Eastern Conference

Rinse and repeat for the West.

This would cut down the playoffs to only 3 rounds which might be able to be squeezed into a little over a month and couldn't happen any later than July 1st start date.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The only way this would be remotely possible is if there was a designated venue set up for a playoff tournament with no fans, and all the team personnel were in isolation throughout at a designated nearby hotel where all the staff would also be in isolation for the duration of the tournament.

It's a longshot, but if everyone involved was not in contact with the public throughout, it could theoretically be possible at a single venue in Canada in several weeks from now.

whistler. They already did it for olympics

Reactions: Clark4Ever

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Florida still had beaches open as late as yesterday in some parts with people packed in and partying like crazy.

It's going to be a disaster there the next few months. We better lock out the snowbirds.
Today they recorded 14 times the cases per capita than China did at the peak of their outbreak.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Florida still had beaches open as late as yesterday in some parts with people packed in and partying like crazy.

It's going to be a disaster there the next few months. We better lock out the snowbirds.
They are back. Da insurers backed by our GOV decided to keep existing 180 day OHIP rule. Many of da snow birds asked for an exception this year but GOV said we want everyone back. So they have come back mostly in last week or so. Bottom line 300,000 back home mostly from Florida. Probably why we getting da big bumps in numbers now.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
images

The 2020 Stanley Cup

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This season is done. Done. The US is an absolute out of control mess.

Also sports for fans is a hobby and non essential service in the entertainment business.. While being among the first to shutdown for people safety they're also likely among the last to start up again for the same reason.

That last thing anyone would want is to finally get this 1st wave under some sense of control, and then open wide up sporting events and have it ignite a 2nd wave by crowding thousands of screaming and shouting fans into tight quarters.

CDC already fears that during the summer months the heat might slow the virus to manageable levels and then the fall and colder weather see a new spike again. Sporting events are the potential petri dish to be that spark.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
While I personally don't see any light at the end of the tunnel that this season will be salvaged any time soon.

There might still be a remote possibility if this extends into late summer that the NHL simply has a small tournament likely cutting playoff teams from 16 down to 8 only and the top 2 teams in each Div and 4 in each Conference qualify, which now playoff to reward a Cup winner for this season.

Atlantic #1 vs Atlantic #2 & Metro #1 Vs Metro #2 etc..

Winner Atlantic vs winner Metro = Winner of the Eastern Conference

Rinse and repeat for the West.

This would cut down the playoffs to only 3 rounds which might be able to be squeezed into a little over a month and couldn't happen any later than July 1st start date.
I wouldn’t watch and likelyhood I wouldn’t ever watch again would be strong if they did that. I would be thinking who the hell came up with that idea ;). I really would watch and i would never recognize the winner, not ever with a asterisk

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
They are back. Da insurers backed by our GOV decided to keep existing 180 day OHIP rule. Many of da snow birds asked for an exception this year but GOV said we want everyone back. So they have come back mostly in last week or so. Bottom line 300,000 back home mostly from Florida. Probably why we getting da big bumps in numbers now.
Quebec health insists there numbers are cranked up so high because they had their march break one week earlier than Ontario. I think you are rightly well on that call

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Quebec health insists there numbers are cranked up so high because they had their march break one week earlier than Ontario. I think you are rightly well on that call
I hope I am wrong but my dad lives half years in Naples in a gated complex with like another 300 or so Canadians. Pretty much all had same insurer with the association he says. They lobbied as a group to seek an extension this year for COVID19 and they were denied. They all came back last week before border closed via planes and some drove. As he explained it to me there are a lot of p*ssed off old folks who thought it was safer to stay put rather then get exposed in planes where things spread much easier. I am not sure what is best for public policy on this issue but in my thinking it would take a strain OFF our health care system if these folks would have stayed in Florida. Especially since it sounds like thats what most of these folks wanted to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad