Golf: 2020 PGA Championship - August 6-9

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know this stuff changes week to week and I said like a week ago that JT is the best in the world, but Morikawa is at least in that discussion now.

Dude won at Memorial not even two months ago, and then wins a major. Thats big league stuff. Probably also the POY favorite.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That shot on 16 should be a legendary memory, something they’re talking about in 30 years

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do we need to talk about DJ again? Lifeless effort.

I don't think so because it's so unsurprising at this point. I don't even know if pressure applies to DJ. Whoever operates the DJ machine didn't turn it on today. He'll probably win a big event before the end of 2020 by at least three.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
What a bizarre ending to the telecast that was. They never even interviewed him

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I know this stuff changes week to week and I said like a week ago that JT is the best in the world, but Morikawa is at least in that discussion now.

Dude won at Memorial not even two months ago, and then wins a major. Thats big league stuff. Probably also the POY favorite.

With this being the only major of the season (assuming the season ends with the tour championship) I agree Morikawa is the current favourite for POY. Would have been a bit bigger if he won the Memorial at Muirfield instead of the Workday. Justin Thomas, with 3 victories including a world golf tournament would be 2nd.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am just glad that Koepka didn't win. I actually would not have cared much about that till before yesterdays interview but trash talking just rubs me the wrong way. More so in a sport like golf.

Personally, was rooting for Day or Johnson to win since they have not won in a while. But I am pretty happy with the kid winning.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Morikawa's a little reminiscent of Johnny Miller. His ball striking is a category beyond elite.

I remember hearing someone say earlier this year that he's a better ball striker than Tiger, and it was roundly laughed at. While I wouldn't say his ball striking is better than Tiger (arguably 1/2 with Hogan), it really isn't crazy. He hits everything right on the button. Barely needs to shape shots because everything is so accurate and straight. It's fun to watch.
I listen to Max Homa's podcast and he's talked a fair bit about Morikawa. Said he went back to Cal as an assistant coach type thing and saw Collin play and said he was already a top 30 ball striker in the world while still in college and that all he needed to do was develop some of his short game. Told a story about a hole where a pin was tucked on the left side of the green with a bunker in front. Naturally the idea is to aim at the middle of the green and shape a little draw in to the flag. Said Collin just stepped up hit a 5 yard fade starting from the left side of the green right at the pin. He is so consistent with his natural shot shape he doesn't need to shape it the other way often because he just doesn't miss.

What a great first major of the year. Props to PGA of America for the setup of the course, particularly on Sunday. Gave us some great drama coming down the back 9. Morikawa is just unbelievable and is going to be around for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad