Golf: 2020 PGA Championship - August 6-9

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
About to be 7 tied for the lead. Last time it was this jammed up this late in a tournament was the 2011 Masters. The equivalent result here to what we saw then would be Casey birdieing a couple late to win by two. Let's hope for something different...

Reactions: Cody Webster

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Assuming he keeps his lead at 15 Morikawa has to avoid trying to do something dumb at 16. It’ll be very tempting to go for it but there’s no reason to try if you’re up

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm watching today. It's been a while since I've watched a substantial portion of a golf tournament.

Obviously these guys are good, but holy moly has the equipment changed off of the tee. Some of the swings I'm seeing are outrageously wild and no matter what: the ball mostly goes where they're aiming and gives them the shot their looking for. I mean, these guys are swinging out of their shoes at times.

It's almost a shocker when a drive goes awry.

While true, most of the guys in contention this week are the biggest hitters. Bryson, Finau, Champ, DJ are all among the biggest hitters, and Bryson's golf swings are almost a joke with how hard he swings.

It's not like this every week, although you are right about the equipment. I think they should roll back the golf ball.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When Bryson swings it looks like he’s trying to not step on something

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Morikawa's a little reminiscent of Johnny Miller. His ball striking is a category beyond elite.

I remember hearing someone say earlier this year that he's a better ball striker than Tiger, and it was roundly laughed at. While I wouldn't say his ball striking is better than Tiger (arguably 1/2 with Hogan), it really isn't crazy. He hits everything right on the button. Barely needs to shape shots because everything is so accurate and straight. It's fun to watch.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I definitely didn’t agree with Morikawa going for it off tee at 16 but it worked. That was something Phil or Greg Norman would have done off the tee at 16. Most nobody else except perhaps Tiger does that

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I definitely didn’t agree with Morikawa going for it off tee at 16 but it worked. That was something Phil or Greg Norman would have done off the tee at 16. Most nobody else except perhaps Tiger does that

Hard to make bogey if you go for it off the tee. Even missing it on the bad right side leaves you a ton of green to throw it back to behind the flag, leaving yourself a 30-40 footer for birdie.

Reactions: TB12

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

It just seemed to fit his shot shape off the tee though, didn’t it? Needed to move it a bit left to right.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It just seemed to fit his shot shape off the tee though, didn’t it? Needed to move it a bit left to right.

I also don’t know if he knew Casey had tied him or not at that stage. I’m assuming he didn’t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad