2020 OHL Priority Selection Mock Draft

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Great read as always. I see Kingston's pick wasn't yours - would you have picked a defenseman for them or do you agree with the McConnell-Barker pick? With Brahaney and King leaving I feel like they've got a huge void on the back end that needs to be addressed and could be partially filled by either McCoy or George.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I figured that you all would enjoy reading this. Two rounds. Nearly 10,000 words on a good portion of the top players available.

OHL Prospects: 2020 OHL Priority Selection Mock Draft

A very enjoyable read as always. Great work, @Brock. Just one note: Zach Filak didn't play for Team USA at the YOG. There were 3 players on that YOG team that didn't make the NTDP: Arthur Smith, Vinny Borgesi, and Gavin Brindley.

Reactions: Birddog

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Thanks Brock (and everyone that helped contribute)! Awesome job as always.

With the way Drinkell has recruited and found quality players after round 1, I would completely trust him to take Nazar and work on him for a year.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Great read as always. I see Kingston's pick wasn't yours - would you have picked a defenseman for them or do you agree with the McConnell-Barker pick? With Brahaney and King leaving I feel like they've got a huge void on the back end that needs to be addressed and could be partially filled by either McCoy or George.

I could see either path, to be honest.

I could see them taking a very long look at McCoy, especially with him being somewhat local (Belleville kid). He and George are a pretty big toss up for that second best defender available ranking. You are correct that the team does need some help on the back-end. Of course, the Import Draft could be used in this regard too (no offense to Pinchuk, but if you can get a top 3 defender in the Import selection process, he has to go). Getting a top player to report shouldn't be too difficult with someone like Shane Wright as a draw.

However, I could also see them going for someone like McConnell-Barker too (or one of the other top centers available). Would give the team two terrific young centers with Wright and that selection. MN is one of the premier skaters in this draft class and could probably easily slide to the wing too, depending on how his development goes (I think that with his speed and goal scoring ability, he might actually be a better fit there longer term).

Something to keep in mind, IMO, is that the defensive depth in this class is better than the high end forward depth. You could use both of the later 3rd's on defenders and then that Import selection (again pending you get a top player to commit) and be in just as good of shape, if not better.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Hi Brock
Now that the draft is over I was wondering if you will do a grading of each teams draft ( I seem to recall you did this a few years ago. Obviously interested in your opinion of how the 67's did, and hoping for comments on John Henry. Stellar numbers better than his teamate Shamus Casey ( he's also bigger) but Casey is on the USNTDP and not him? Do you have insight on this? Wonder what Henry's chance of reporting are as he doesn't seem to have any NCAA commits. Anyway would look forward to your insights on the draft if you have time....as I certainly do these days! Stay healthy!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hi Brock
Now that the draft is over I was wondering if you will do a grading of each teams draft ( I seem to recall you did this a few years ago. Obviously interested in your opinion of how the 67's did, and hoping for comments on John Henry. Stellar numbers better than his teamate Shamus Casey ( he's also bigger) but Casey is on the USNTDP and not him? Do you have insight on this? Wonder what Henry's chance of reporting are as he doesn't seem to have any NCAA commits. Anyway would look forward to your insights on the draft if you have time....as I certainly do these days! Stay healthy!
He already mentioned on Twitter that he is not doing something like that because it is silly to do. He mentioned a few teams that he felt had a lot of good value selections on his twitter page. But when dealing with NCAA commitments and young/small players still maturing/developing its a waste of time. Saginaw won the draft IF Fantilli signed. On the reverse side, there will be “busts” in the first round of selections which will cause other teams to have “lost” the draft

I think it’s more fair to give a few teams that you thought did really well picking high value in their spots. But hard to judge who is the top few teams and the bottom few teams..

And no, this isn’t like rating an NHL team’s draft. Those players at that time are more mature as players and humans. They are easier to judge, especially after playing junior/college/pro against better competition

Reactions: sirius67fan

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
...I was wondering if you will do a grading of each teams draft ( I seem to recall you did this a few years ago. Obviously interested in your opinion of how the 67's did, and hoping for comments on John Henry. Stellar numbers better than his teamate Shamus Casey ( he's also bigger) but Casey is on the USNTDP and not him? Do you have insight on this? Wonder what Henry's chance of reporting are as he doesn't seem to have any NCAA commits. Anyway would look forward to your insights on the draft if you have time....as I certainly do these days! Stay healthy!

Casey is one of the top 3 skaters in the entire draft, Canadian and American, and Henry isn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad