2020 OHL draft

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Wish I could have seen more Ottawa guys this year. Some went intriguingly high.

Surprised Alfano went so high and Wakely dropped. London took who I think is the best non Ottawa D after Nelson.

Understand Delic dropping. He's a tricky, tricky player to project. He can be downright dynamic though.

For first/second round. Loved the Poitras, Leblanc and Morden picks. Got a great feeling on all those guys.

Fav mid round pick: Sudbury Hayden Simpson, Kingston William Moore, North Bay Kyan Haldenby

Fav late round picks: Kitchener Corbin Roach, Niagara William Godfrey, Kitchener Mick Thompson(love this pick)

Surprised they weren't drafted: Dawson Lukey
Daneurism:
Who were you referring to as the best non-Nelson D-man chosen by London, George or Edward? And what do you think of both? Thx

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
My vision on Clarke was different. His skill was good but his defensive game wasn’t as good as Nelson. I was also not a big fan of Clarke’s on ice demeanor. Seemed like a very selfish player.

Well then NB got themselves a franchise player, very cool for that franchise

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Daneurism:
Who were you referring to as the best non-Nelson D-man chosen by London, George or Edward? And what do you think of both? Thx

And by non-Ottawa D, do you think Donovan is a better prospect than either Edward or George? Or even McCoy? I’ve read that Donovan pick by Hamilton was due possibly to a Staois-Sean Donovan connection.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Wow....I could not disagree more with you on the Nelson-Clarke comparison. Nelson is a great player......Clarke is another level altogether and will probably go in the top 5 of his draft class to the NHL.

Clarke is 6'1, Nelson is 5'8
Clarke is 10 pounds heavier
Clarke had 113 points in MM, Nelson had 65

If you say that Clarke played on a stacked DMF squad you are right....but Nelson played on a stacked JrC team that only lost 3 games so really not a huge issue.

The key differentiator is Clarke has a hockey IQ off the charts.....not many in the entire OHL plays as smart as this kid.

There is absolutely no comparison in my books AND Nelson is a solid player that will step in and play well as a rookie.

I won’t argue the IQ, but don’t count Nelson out. Kid is a wizard. His vision is off the charts. I would argue that Nelson and Fimis were on a good team, but I’d hardly say stacked. JrC was never a team I’d say would beat everyone. They had a good amount of tier 2 and 3 players, but Fimis and Nelson were the only tier 1s imo and Fantilli would have helped bring them closer to the ‘stacked’ marker, but not make them that.

Let’s remember, Don Mills had 4 (almost 5) First rounders, and another 3 second rounders. If you wanna think about it, they had 4 firsts even if Wright wasn’t an exceptional player. That Flyers team is the definition of Stacked. Wright is the huge wild card thrown in. Team would have been good without him, but how good? Likely still easily as good as this years JrC team.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Wakely from my perspective was a good player, but not elite. Perhaps the biggest problem was simply laziness, but his consistency on the ice was frustrating. He showed flashes of great 2 way play, both ends, blocking shots, scoring goals, but his play away from the puck left slot to be desired. He was guilty a lot of “back changing” (changing on the back check) and his effort in doing so was lackadaisical. Too long of shifts? Personality problem? Not sure. A fix could be made and he has potential, but that would be why he “fell.”

I had him ranked 24th amongst players I saw, not including most Americans. I also hadn’t ranked HEO players (other than Guindon and Melee, as I watched them.) No northern players either. So at 24, I don’t see him as a falling player, he stacks up about where I saw him going.
So another Brandon Coe type

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
Wow....I could not disagree more with you on the Nelson-Clarke comparison. Nelson is a great player......Clarke is another level altogether and will probably go in the top 5 of his draft class to the NHL.

If you say that Clarke played on a stacked DMF squad you are right....but Nelson played on a stacked JrC team that only lost 3 games so really not a huge issue.

The key differentiator is Clarke has a hockey IQ off the charts.....not many in the entire OHL plays as smart as this kid.

There is absolutely no comparison in my books AND Nelson is a solid player that will step in and play well as a rookie.

5’8? Maybe on tip toes. Nelson is more like 5’6, which makes his accomplishment all the more impressive.

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
Wakely from my perspective was a good player, but not elite. Perhaps the biggest problem was simply laziness, but his consistency on the ice was frustrating. He showed flashes of great 2 way play, both ends, blocking shots, scoring goals, but his play away from the puck left slot to be desired. He was guilty a lot of “back changing” (changing on the back check) and his effort in doing so was lackadaisical. Too long of shifts? Personality problem? Not sure. A fix could be made and he has potential, but that would be why he “fell.”

I had him ranked 24th amongst players I saw, not including most Americans. I also hadn’t ranked HEO players (other than Guindon and Melee, as I watched them.) No northern players either. So at 24, I don’t see him as a falling player, he stacks up about where I saw him going.

Wakely’s biggest issue is speed. Same for Christy. Similar type players - will be interesting to see if they can generate offence 5 on 5 at the next level, although I would have picked both before Melee, who isn’t the quickest either and much less of a scoring threat.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Brandon Coe is 6’3 and a totally different kind of player, but I think he meant in terms of consistency in effort, which has been the knock on Coe.
Yes sir a player with plenty of tools but consistency day in and day out continues to be the issue. Especially with those backcheck changes after a turnover

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Wakely’s biggest issue is speed. Same for Christy. Similar type players - will be interesting to see if they can generate offence 5 on 5 at the next level, although I would have picked both before Melee, who isn’t the quickest either and much less of a scoring threat.
See I can agree, but I would argue that with more effort could come more speed (not entirely given, could in fact just be leg power). 100% on Cristy being the same type of player.

However, when I saw Melee play I was thoroughly impressed. As much as you’re right about seemingly not a (consistent) scoring threat, his intangibles were highly evident to me.

Last edited:

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Chances are, if you are listed publicly at 5'8, you are 5'6 or less. Nobody wants their height listed as 5'6! Same thing for most of the 5'10'ers and 6 footers out there:)

The average published bump is probably 2 inches - maybe even more for the smaller guys.

It's harder to pull off a fake 6'1 or 6'2. Not impossible, but most people can eyeball it when you are that tall, and eventually - someone is going to see you in street clothes!

Vinny Borgesi 5'7" 145
Lane Hutson 5'6" 125
Ty Nelson 5'7" 175???

It will be interesting to track these three players as all are highly touted 04 dmen. Will they be able to survive? Nelson OHL, Hutson NTDP, Borgesi USHL

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
Vinny Borgesi 5'7" 145
Lane Hutson 5'6" 125
Ty Nelson 5'7" 175???

It will be interesting to track these three players as all are highly touted 04 dmen. Will they be able to survive? Nelson OHL, Hutson NTDP, Borgesi USHL

LOL - Nelson isn’t 175. Maybe a buck fifty at the most.

Northern Force

Jun 21, 2019
And by non-Ottawa D, do you think Donovan is a better prospect than either Edward or George? Or even McCoy? I’ve read that Donovan pick by Hamilton was due possibly to a Staois-Sean Donovan connection.
Does anyone have any info on Donovan? Was the pick as big a reach as it's looking like?

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I mentioned Nelson above, but Fimis is a much different story. The forward crop last year was good, Fimis would go somewhere in the Zhilkin pick or later. Nelson would have replaced Clarke, mostly because I can’t see Erie or Flint changing their minds on their picks.

The 04s dominated the 03s.
Last years OHL cup was all about Fantilli vs Wright.
An 04 got drafted before any 03.
Rutger McGroarty could have been a first overall last year.

The 04s are by far the better, and deeper crop of players. Oddly, the 03s had a lot of guys not get drafted, or at least available in the 15th round. If we looked at a graph/chart, the 04 spikes higher, and earlier, and doesn’t drop off until the more than half through, where both would be close to equal. 03 would finally rise above in the last couple rounds. (As far as talent goes)

Response above
Great minds think alike

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020

Agreed with above.
03 DMF had good defence but it was their forwards that stole the show. 04 JRC have loaded offence but I would think there were more higher rated dmen overall. 03 had Clarke and Schmidt high, but after that they were thinner. JMO

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
My vision on Clarke was different. His skill was good but his defensive game wasn’t as good as Nelson. I was also not a big fan of Clarke’s on ice demeanor. Seemed like a very selfish player.
Clarke has a high ceiling for offense. Nelson has overall good game. But, 02 Lleyton Moore would be considered being more dynamic then Nelson and he went 12th and 2 years later, he is good but not great.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Does anyone have any info on Donovan? Was the pick as big a reach as it's looking like?

IMO not much seperating Donovan from any of the other top 6 or 7 D taken- we'll have to wait 2 yrs to see who exactly is better- BUT you really have to wonder if Hamilton could have taken a high-end centreman with the 6th pick and still gotten Donovan at 21! But he was obviously their guy as they didnt want to risk his hometown 67s snatching him with the 20 pick.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
We're aware of an issue with double posting and people are working to fix it. Here's how to avoid it: AFTER YOU HIT THE REPLY/POST BUTTON AND THE TIMER BAND ON THE TOP RIGHT STOPS, ASSUME IT POSTED. DO NOT HIT THE REPLY BUTTON AGAIN. Reload the page and your post will be there. If you are worried about losing the post content, copy it first.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
We're aware of an issue with double posting and people are working to fix it. Here's how to avoid it: AFTER YOU HIT THE REPLY/POST BUTTON AND THE TIMER BAND ON THE TOP RIGHT STOPS, ASSUME IT POSTED. DO NOT HIT THE REPLY BUTTON AGAIN. Reload the page and your post will be there. If you are worried about losing the post content, copy it first.

My bad.Txs

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Agreed with above.
03 DMF had good defence but it was their forwards that stole the show. 04 JRC have loaded offence but I would think there were more higher rated dmen overall. 03 had Clarke and Schmidt high, but after that they were thinner. JMO

This is it. Their defense was so loaded that Rinnick Villaflor left to go back to Hamilton Huskies. Carson Ricci ended up coming in to get away from the Red Wings terrible record.
It was stacked previously as well with Alec Leonard, Joe Caggiano, and Wilson Farrow joining Best and Buchinger during the Bantam year. Nelson was already playing Minor Midget, but was obviously primed to join the 04 team the following year. Sirman, Nelson and Van Vliet arguably equal the skill lost. The forward crops added Fantilli, but lost Zak Lavoie From the bantam year. If both of those players stuck around I’d easily say stacked and in contention with the Don Mills 03 team. Otherwise it left the forward corps with Fimis, Castle and Cooke. The other players were better than most other teams 3rd lines, but not better than first lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->