2020 OHL draft

Jayja12

Apr 5, 2020
Raine Nadeau from Oshawa was a surprising no draft. Solid D, seen him play a few times and his name was tossed around the forums a few times as a definate prospect.

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
For people who watched a lot of MM hockey this year, where do you think Nelson and Fimis would have went in last years draft?

Probably quite a bit lower (second round maybe) but that was a much different draft.

This draft was much flatter in terms of talent and much shorter in terms of height.

Reactions: 1967th Heaven

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Probably quite a bit lower (second round maybe) but that was a much different draft.

This draft was much flatter in terms of talent and much shorter in terms of height.

Even with Fantilli, this draft didnt have as much higher end elite players as last year, but I strongly believe there was more depth in this year's draft then last year. Thats why there was only one team that traded up for a higher pick, Guelph. Teams realized that they could get a pick in the 4th or 5th that may be as good as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. JMO

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
Ok so just to make sure we’re on the same page this year’s top rookie was Shane Wright at 66 pts followed by two guys tied at 42. You guys are saying the 2003 crop is more high end ? I so disagree.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012

Wow, really? I got the sense they weren't in the Clarke/Othmann/McTavish tier but surprised the discrepancy is that big. Thanks for the insight!

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Even with Fantilli, this draft didnt have as much higher end elite players as last year, but I strongly believe there was more depth in this year's draft then last year. Thats why there was only one team that traded up for a higher pick, Guelph. Teams realized that they could get a pick in the 4th or 5th that may be as good as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. JMO

Interesting. I can't really comment because I didnt watch any games this year but purely looking at counting stats supports your belief. It felt like across the leauges nobody was putting up eye popping numbers relative to the past few years

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
For people who watched a lot of MM hockey this year, where do you think Nelson and Fimis would have went in last years draft?

Probably late first. Fimis is a better prospect than guys like McCallum and Rolofs who went 15/20

Nelson is a better prospect coming out of mm than guys like Enright/Holmes/Punnett and they went 17/18/19. Although they're all bigger D and Nelson is a smaller skill guy

Reactions: 1967th Heaven

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Probably late first. Fimis is a better prospect than guys like McCallum and Rolofs who went 15/20

Nelson is a better prospect coming out of mm than guys like Enright/Holmes/Punnett and they went 17/18/19. Although they're all bigger D and Nelson is a smaller skill guy

I think they'd both be in the 6-10 range. Nelson for sure is leaps and bounds above those dmen listed

Reactions: Uncle

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016

A better junior prospect when he's 18,19 or as a 16 year old. Considering he was 1st overall and Holmes was 18th, it's tough to compare. I watched Holmes all year, he will be a dandy at 18.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Wish I could have seen more Ottawa guys this year. Some went intriguingly high.

Surprised Alfano went so high and Wakely dropped. London took who I think is the best non Ottawa D after Nelson.

Understand Delic dropping. He's a tricky, tricky player to project. He can be downright dynamic though.

For first/second round. Loved the Poitras, Leblanc and Morden picks. Got a great feeling on all those guys.

Fav mid round pick: Sudbury Hayden Simpson, Kingston William Moore, North Bay Kyan Haldenby

Fav late round picks: Kitchener Corbin Roach, Niagara William Godfrey, Kitchener Mick Thompson(love this pick)

Surprised they weren't drafted: Dawson Lukey

Last edited:

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Little pet peeve: Going through twitter reacts to drafted players and I didn't see anyone mention that Owen Beck has a dynamite shot, when mentioning what he does well. It's very confusing.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Not necessarily surprised Dubajic didn't get drafted, but there's a decent amount of skill there and I could see him surprising.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
C’mon guys....you’ve got 20 teams and 15 rounds....300 picks. If you aren’t drafted then you probably are not ready or good enough to play at the next level.

We are not talking about 100. We are not talking about 200. We are talking 300 players !!!

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
C’mon guys....you’ve got 20 teams and 15 rounds....300 picks. If you aren’t drafted then you probably are not ready or good enough to play at the next level.

We are not talking about 100. We are not talking about 200. We are talking 300 players !!!

Probably should clarify. Not good enough to play at this level *at this specific moment in time*. Doesnt mean that you cant put the work in to improve and maybe you'll be good enough down the line.

Lots of players dont get drafted in the OHL draft and have great careers. Claude Giroux, Alex Debrincat, Anthony Cirelli all were passed over at least once off the top of my head. Hell DJ Busdeker on Saginaw this year was passed over 2x and he was one of the hardest working players I've seen so I'm not surprised he worked himself into a roster spot and leadership role on the team

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Probably should clarify. Not good enough to play at this level *at this specific moment in time*. Doesnt mean that you cant put the work in to improve and maybe you'll be good enough down the line.

Lots of players dont get drafted in the OHL draft and have great careers. Claude Giroux, Alex Debrincat, Anthony Cirelli all were passed over at least once off the top of my head. Hell DJ Busdeker on Saginaw this year was passed over 2x and he was one of the hardest working players I've seen so I'm not surprised he worked himself into a roster spot and leadership role on the team
The Wolves' Owen Robinson a couple times was, before that the Pilon twins were free agent signings later on too. Definitely doable.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If one Cirelli comes out of the u18 draft at some point, that's all it takes to really make the thing a big deal, though I'd love to see Junior players be eligible as well, or no overages in the OHL Draft.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Since the moment I saw Nelson play in last years Minor Midget, I’ve said this kid could get exceptional player status if he was a half a foot taller. That’s exactly where I would say he would have gotten drafted last year.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
LOL , the Zamboni driver would have picked Nelson . You do know that we picked first, right ?. " stealing Wakely " ? why would London pass on him 3 times , 67's, wolves, Pete's ,Storm, Trout, and Bull Dogs 2 times each, what did they not like is my question .
Wakely from my perspective was a good player, but not elite. Perhaps the biggest problem was simply laziness, but his consistency on the ice was frustrating. He showed flashes of great 2 way play, both ends, blocking shots, scoring goals, but his play away from the puck left slot to be desired. He was guilty a lot of “back changing” (changing on the back check) and his effort in doing so was lackadaisical. Too long of shifts? Personality problem? Not sure. A fix could be made and he has potential, but that would be why he “fell.”

I had him ranked 24th amongst players I saw, not including most Americans. I also hadn’t ranked HEO players (other than Guindon and Melee, as I watched them.) No northern players either. So at 24, I don’t see him as a falling player, he stacks up about where I saw him going.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Since the moment I saw Nelson play in last years Minor Midget, I’ve said this kid could get exceptional player status if he was a half a foot taller. That’s exactly where I would say he would have gotten drafted last year.

You would rank him ahead of Shane Wright for first overall if both were eligible?

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
I mentioned Nelson above, but Fimis is a much different story. The forward crop last year was good, Fimis would go somewhere in the Zhilkin pick or later. Nelson would have replaced Clarke, mostly because I can’t see Erie or Flint changing their minds on their picks.

The 04s dominated the 03s.
Last years OHL cup was all about Fantilli vs Wright.
An 04 got drafted before any 03.
Rutger McGroarty could have been a first overall last year.

The 04s are by far the better, and deeper crop of players. Oddly, the 03s had a lot of guys not get drafted, or at least available in the 15th round. If we looked at a graph/chart, the 04 spikes higher, and earlier, and doesn’t drop off until the more than half through, where both would be close to equal. 03 would finally rise above in the last couple rounds. (As far as talent goes)

Response above

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
You would rank him ahead of Shane Wright for first overall if both were eligible?
Not above. If both were eligible, it’s hard to imagine Flint changing from Othmann, but I would have because as good as othmann was he was on a line with Wright all year. I take Nelson over Clarke all day long though. Erie already have Drysdale, which is why the don’t take Clarke. Just to put in perspective. Wright 1, Nelson 2. I was huge on Nelson last year. You have no idea. Fantilli didn’t impress me as much as Nelson did.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Wow....I could not disagree more with you on the Nelson-Clarke comparison. Nelson is a great player......Clarke is another level altogether and will probably go in the top 5 of his draft class to the NHL.

Clarke is 6'1, Nelson is 5'8
Clarke is 10 pounds heavier
Clarke had 113 points in MM, Nelson had 65

If you say that Clarke played on a stacked DMF squad you are right....but Nelson played on a stacked JrC team that only lost 3 games so really not a huge issue.

The key differentiator is Clarke has a hockey IQ off the charts.....not many in the entire OHL plays as smart as this kid.

There is absolutely no comparison in my books AND Nelson is a solid player that will step in and play well as a rookie.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not above. If both were eligible, it’s hard to imagine Flint changing from Othmann, but I would have because as good as othmann was he was on a line with Wright all year. I take Nelson over Clarke all day long though. Erie already have Drysdale, which is why the don’t take Clarke. Just to put in perspective. Wright 1, Nelson 2. I was huge on Nelson last year. You have no idea. Fantilli didn’t impress me as much as Nelson did.

Wow, Clarke was by far the best ‘03 I saw, best defensive 16 yr old I’ve seen since Ekblad. Nelson must be very very good just to be a comparable.

Reactions: Saggy

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Wow, Clarke was by far the best ‘03 I saw, best defensive 16 yr old I’ve seen since Ekblad. Nelson must be very very good just to be a comparable.
My vision on Clarke was different. His skill was good but his defensive game wasn’t as good as Nelson. I was also not a big fan of Clarke’s on ice demeanor. Seemed like a very selfish player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->