2020 OHL draft

Leafsguy

Mar 12, 2020
Sudbury Wolves without a doubt
Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well, but wanted to see what consensus was. I thought Kitchener and London both had strong days as well. Wasn’t a big fan of Erie or Flint’s drafts

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Sudbury Wolves without a doubt
Just gotta wonder why Delic dropped so far. I think it will be a couple years before we really know who won the draft. Remember, only 4 or 5 kids per draft typically ever play, so as long as you draft that many who eventually play with any impact, you have done well.

Reactions: hockeynorth and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well, but wanted to see what consensus was. I thought Kitchener and London both had strong days as well. Wasn’t a big fan of Erie or Flint’s drafts
People say this type of stuff every year and it’s wayyyy too early to tell. Talk to me in 2022 when these guys are 2/3 years into the league

Far too often posters see the “rankings” of players and put way too much weight into it. There are a few top talents that are close to sure things but the rest are players that all need tons of development to be good-great players in this league

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
People say this type of stuff every year and it’s wayyyy too early to tell. Talk to me in 2022 when these guys are 2/3 years into the league

Far too often posters see the “rankings” of players and put way too much weight into it. There are a few top talents that are close to sure things but the rest are players that all need tons of development to be good-great players in this league
You can say that about any draft in any sport though
But focusing on that, in my opinion, is adjacent to not even having a draft, or combines, or scouting, and taking players at random, because it's 'too early to say anyway'

There's nothing wrong with making rankings, draft lists, and draft grades based on limited viewings of underdeveloped kids playing against disparate competition, or on sexy names, good stories, and highlights, as long as you acknowledge that's what it is, and that the future results are going to be heavily fluid.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

So true players at 15-16yo are not the same as players who are 18-19yo the OHL is a big step for these kids and sometimes we the fans put massive expectations on these kids every year but let's not look at this very simply until you see these kids lace up skates in scrimmages and pre-season games you really only know that what the stats sheet says from the season before. Yes there will be standouts and yes there will be puzzles that come out of every draft. So to say that team A got the "Best Player" in the draft over team B you won't really see what you have till there draft year.

Reactions: NOA and jjhound

Leafsguy

Mar 12, 2020
Just gotta wonder why Delic dropped so far. I think it will be a couple years before we really know who won the draft. Remember, only 4 or 5 kids per draft typically ever play, so as long as you draft that many who eventually play with any impact, you have done well.
Yeah why did he fall so far? Top 10 talent in my opinion

Leafsguy

Mar 12, 2020
You can say that about any draft in any sport though
But focusing on that, in my opinion, is adjacent to not even having a draft, or combines, or scouting, and taking players at random, because it's 'too early to say anyway'

There's nothing wrong with making rankings, draft lists, and draft grades based on limited viewings of underdeveloped kids playing against disparate competition, or on sexy names, good stories, and highlights, as long as you acknowledge that's what it is, and that the future results are going to be heavily fluid.

So why are we even here on a forum talking about the draft?

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
So why are we even here on a forum talking about the draft?
Just saying not to get too high or too low, as long as you get 4-6 players from a draft to play with some impact in the league then you did well.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
In my opinion, Niagara had a good day. Pano Fimis, Brice Cooke (Pano's left winger) and Alec Leonard is not a bad haul and all will find a spot in our lineup next fall. I also believe that Zacharya Wisdom may surprise if he can show up with the same intensity as his brother did in Kingston.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
who didn’t get drafted that you expected would for sure? ( not allowed to name your own kid )

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Everyone's talking about winners - who are the losers?
We won't know winners or losers for a few years. Also hard to choose a "loser" of the draft. Saginaw took quite a few US commits so if none come it could be terrible for them.

I also thought it was such a good draft it was hard to really screw up. So deep.

Reactions: NOA

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019

It’s not early to say you’re not big on a teams draft the day after it happened. It’s an opinion, and he’s allowed to have it. How do you think these kids get drafted in the first place? It’s based off an opinion of a guy who’s seen the kids play. If you need exact results before making judgements then the Draft boards here are the wrong place for you.

not trying to be an a-hole here, but opinions of these kids were formed well before this draft, and changed right before this draft. There’s zero problem in my opinion with saying so-and-so had a bad day. They don’t think so, but they might not be right either.

Last edited:

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Mine is Tye Nelson of Jr Canadiens.
Regarding No1 Dman of this draft, May 2019.

Just saying... no one understands how certain I was this kid was getting drafted above them all. Outside of Fantilli, too much hype. Plus I got a thing with taking a dman first unless he’s special.

quote from either page 1 or 2 of this thread back in May.

bert mcgurt

Mar 30, 2020
Only 2 picks each from JRC and Quinte - 2 best teams in Ontario by a mile.

Titans and Marlies get 2 picks each and never really beat anybody of note all year.

Poor Nats and Vaughan - they were really in the top 3 GTHL teams and only have 1 pick between them!

Someone has a better marketing department.

3 picks from JRC, 1 pick from Quinte, Titans get 1 pick in both drafts, and yes 1 pick between Nats and Vaughan...

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
North Bay was a big winner for me...Nelson at #1, Adam Dennis stealing Wakely at 30 and gets Mathurin at 41. :)
LOL , the Zamboni driver would have picked Nelson . You do know that we picked first, right ?. " stealing Wakely " ? why would London pass on him 3 times , 67's, wolves, Pete's ,Storm, Trout, and Bull Dogs 2 times each, what did they not like is my question .

Dave Steib

Mar 28, 2020
LOL , the Zamboni driver would have picked Nelson . You do know that we picked first, right ?. " stealing Wakely " ? why would London pass on him 3 times , 67's, wolves, Pete's ,Storm, Trout, and Bull Dogs 2 times each, what did they not like is my question .

Happy Palm Sunday to all...

Knights called a time out after Saginaw took Fantilli....does that imply they were ready to take him but then suddenly had to go to plan B - with their Ottawa connections? see their GM's comments as to what went down...
Delic is mentioned as falling big - but what happened to Isaiah George - no one theorized there....top 20 to 68th overall, 4th rd??
someone had an interesting comment earlier...if Nelson and Fimis played for say Grey- Bruce are they still going 1-2?
yes nepotism prevails in the ohl - always will esp with the Hunters around...the kings of the backdoor....see DJ Smith, Jon Sim etc...and don't be surprised if Nazar and Crane are wearing Green and Gold in a year or two, both ncaa for now but...
what's the saying...the more things change the more things stay the same...now everyone get outside and off your laptops (6 feet please)

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I'm thrilled with the Petes' draft, and was really happy with them getting Alfano at #23, but yeah I was pretty surprised they passed on Wakely at that spot

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
North Bay was a big winner for me...Nelson at #1, Adam Dennis stealing Wakely at 30 and gets Mathurin at 41. :)

Not sure what the issues with Wakely are that caused him to drop, but NB getting 2 consensus top 10 picks is a clear win.

Reactions: Uncle

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
For people who watched a lot of MM hockey this year, where do you think Nelson and Fimis would have went in last years draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->