Speculation: 2020 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
A year or two developing him at center for the hope he can be effective there and then he walks two years after that?

And we have to pay him 11M for the privilege? Yeah, big pass on Marner.
Hang it up bud. If you don't think 5 years is enough time to enjoy a player and to convince him to stick around Minnesota, you have gone too far down in the self-pitying spiral.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If Marner’s value really is Just a 1 for 1 deal with Dumba, I’d do it even if he ended up on the wing after a poor showing down the middle. The 11 million is hard to stomach, but if he gives us 80 points it’s worth it for me. There’s not many better options out there for a play driver, I can stomach him being 1-2 million dollars overpaid.

Offer sheet Cirelli (I actually wouldn’t be on this boat but just for the hypothetical)
Draft Rossi/Raymond/Holtz with 9

next year:
Donato-Cirelli-Marner
Greenway-Staal-Fiala
Kaprizov-Ek-Zuccarello
Parise-Sturm-Foligno/Hartman

in the future, say we draft Holtz
Kaprizov-Cirelli-Marner
Boldy-Khovanov-Holtz
Geek

I’m also not really that convinced that Boldy can’t play center

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Trading for Marner without matching salaries has a real personnel cost for the 2021-22 season.
Depends on what Kaprizov/Fiala get, but I agree with you. It would almost be predicated in knowing you can get rid of a Parise or Zuccarello.

The minuses:
Foligno/Hartman (2/3 million)
Staal(3.25)
Dumba(6)

Additions:
Cirelli(6?)
Marner(11)

So, yeah, if Fiala and Kaprizov both get 8+, we’re screwed, but if they both get 8+ we’ve got a couple of damn good forwards on our hands. Just crunching the numbers in my head, it’d be close.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Depends on what Kaprizov/Fiala get, but I agree with you. It would almost be predicated in knowing you can get rid of a Parise or Zuccarello.

The minuses:
Foligno/Hartman (2/3 million)
Staal(3.25)
Dumba(6)

Additions:
Cirelli(6?)
Marner(11)

So, yeah, if Fiala and Kaprizov both get 8+, we’re screwed, but if they both get 8+ we’ve got a couple of damn good forwards on our hands. Just crunching the numbers in my head, it’d be close.

Yeah, a big money winger would have to be moved out. Trouble is they both can politely say 'go f*** yourself'.

Even without factoring in Cirelli, in order to have ~$22 million open to sign Fiala, Kaprizov, Brodin and Eriksson Ek, we'd need to have a 4th line that makes no more than $3 million, two $1 million or less defensemen in our top 6, and a goalie tandem that doesn't make more than $2 million. The goalie situation would be the most problematic, especially if Kahkonen isn't the savior (yet).

We could open up ~$6 million more if we do something like pay Ottawa/Detroit/New Jersey Greenway to take Rask, but if Fiala and Kaprizov being the players that we hope they are (something that is at least a little more likely playing with a guy like Marner), then we could be in quite the predicament.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Yeah, a big money winger would have to be moved out. Trouble is they both can politely say 'go f*** yourself'.

Even without factoring in Cirelli, in order to have ~$22 million open to sign Fiala, Kaprizov, Brodin and Eriksson Ek, we'd need to have a 4th line that makes no more than $3 million, two $1 million or less defensemen in our top 6, and a goalie tandem that doesn't make more than $2 million. The goalie situation would be the most problematic, especially if Kahkonen isn't the savior (yet).

We could open up ~$6 million more if we do something like pay Ottawa/Detroit/New Jersey Greenway to take Rask, but if Fiala and Kaprizov being the players that we hope they are (something that is at least a little more likely playing with a guy like Marner), then we could be in quite the predicament.
We’d be crushed up against the cap and still not have a number 1 center

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We’d be crushed up against the cap and still not have a number 1 center

Correct. And possibly also not have a number 2.

Unless Toronto was willing to do something like Dumba + Zuccarello (50% of the production at 50% of the cost) and Zuccarello was also willing, I don't really see an avenue, especially since 85% of the reasoning behind trading Marner is Toronto opening up room for Pietrangelo, which this would not accomplish.

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
If Marner’s value really is Just a 1 for 1 deal with Dumba, I’d do it even if he ended up on the wing after a poor showing down the middle. The 11 million is hard to stomach, but if he gives us 80 points it’s worth it for me. There’s not many better options out there for a play driver, I can stomach him being 1-2 million dollars overpaid.

Offer sheet Cirelli (I actually wouldn’t be on this boat but just for the hypothetical)
Draft Rossi/Raymond/Holtz with 9

next year:
Donato-Cirelli-Marner
Greenway-Staal-Fiala
Kaprizov-Ek-Zuccarello
Parise-Sturm-Foligno/Hartman

in the future, say we draft Holtz
Kaprizov-Cirelli-Marner
Boldy-Khovanov-Holtz
Geek

I’m also not really that convinced that Boldy can’t play center

In this future with Marner, where is our lord and saviour Fiala, and why is he not in the top 6?

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
I think if Minny can get Marner 1 for 1 with Dumba, they could flip Marner for a better return to a team that has the cap, I'd assume Ottawa would be interested seeing that a majority of Marners money has already been paid

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I think if Minny can get Marner 1 for 1 with Dumba, they could flip Marner for a better return to a team that has the cap, I'd assume Ottawa would be interested seeing that a majority of Marners money has already been paid

Dumba for Marner? Sounds good I guess. Has Dumba's wokeness somehow increased his trade value? … And who is "Minny"

Reactions: Nsjohnson

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I cringe everytime I hear Minny.

I’m going to start saying can’t wait to watch the game against the Eddy oilers.

I can’t stand those Canucks from Vanny.

the Winny Jets look bad tonight.

hopefully teams will stop saying Minny if they realize how weird it is.

Reactions: CROCODILE SEATS

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
What GM in their right mind and of constant fear of being fired would ever do a 1 for 1 Marner and Dumba trade.

Marner is really, really good.

Dumba is OK.

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
I dont think it would happen at all, the only reason I think Dubas would do it would be for filling a position of need and 5 million in cap relief.

But if it did happen Minnesota would be better off flipping Marner for either a top C or high pick

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What GM in their right mind and of constant fear of being fired would ever do a 1 for 1 Marner and Dumba trade.

Marner is really, really good.

Dumba is OK.

Probably the GM that is paying 3 different forwards $11M or more and still hasn't won a playoff series. Mitch Marner is a great player but the number of teams that would be willing to take that contract without sending bad money back to Toronto isn't a very long list.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
11m gamble to turn Marner into a center. Idk that sounds to rich of a gamble for us if we are wanting to not have to struggle with cap later on.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What's the Wild's plan with Eric Staal? I could see him fitting in perfectly on the Leafs third line with one year remaining on a pretty affordable contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad