Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
F25D85EC-E7D8-4B50-922E-7E0A6F101800.jpeg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That sounds like Raffl hanging out with his homies and staying in shape for TC, whenever it opens.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
That sounds like Raffl hanging out with his homies and staying in shape for TC, whenever it opens.

Could be a sign that a season in January is looking less likely.

Apparently several teams would like to opt out of the season, so much so that the NHL said that was not an option.

And the revenue shortfall could fall below break even.
HockeyBuzz.com - Jeremy Laura - League revenue lower than I thought

Sports Illustrated takes a look at “the look” of NHLPA/NHL bickering. Getting around the “owners have terrible timing”, take a look at the numbers. 18-19 posted more than 5 billion in revenue. That is the number that salary cap and expenses were based on. There is recognition that projected revenues WITH fans in attendance is about 3.65 billion (1.4 billion shortfall). Without fans, estimates are around 1.8 - 2 billion. That’s less than half.​

Things are looking pretty dicey.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Apparently several teams would like to opt out of the season, so much so that the NHL said that was not an option.

Sports Illustrated takes a look at “the look” of NHLPA/NHL bickering. Getting around the “owners have terrible timing”, take a look at the numbers. 18-19 posted more than 5 billion in revenue. That is the number that salary cap and expenses were based on. There is recognition that projected revenues WITH fans in attendance is about 3.65 billion (1.4 billion shortfall). Without fans, estimates are around 1.8 - 2 billion. That’s less than half.​

It's been a long time since I've read the CBA, but owner/player revenue split is strictly defined. I know there is a mechanism for distributing excess money to players. I don't know if there's a mechanism for players taking a pay cut. I would be shocked if there wasn't.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Given the way COVID-19 is continuing to ravage North America, I don't see an NHL season happening at all. They can't do a season in a bubble like they did the playoffs.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Given the way COVID-19 is continuing to ravage North America, I don't see an NHL season happening at all. They can't do a season in a bubble like they did the playoffs.

Right now I agree. Unless there is a situation where we have weeks and/or months of declining cases, I just don’t know how you can pull it off. Even with limited fans. This pandemic will likely continue to get worse before it gets better. I am not convinced that big pharma is going to give us anything soon either

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Right now I agree. Unless there is a situation where we have weeks and/or months of declining cases, I just don’t know how you can pull it off. Even with limited fans. This pandemic will likely continue to get worse before it gets better. I am not convinced that big pharma is going to give us anything soon either
It's not helping that totally incompetent grifters are planning the US vaccine distribution at present, but even if the vaccines are good to go, health care workers and seniors should get the first batches, not pro athletes (I don't expect this to be the case in reality).

Community spread is back up to high levels in Canada after we did so well in the spring. We are hearing that the third wave, expected in late Jan/Feb/Mar is going to be the worst yet so April could be terrible all over.

If all of North American doesn't mask up, buckle down and stay home, the death rate is going to be unfathomably bad, never mind losing sports, which are irrelevant in context.

At least in Canada the government is providing support for the covid-unemployed and small businesses. I don't know how my American friends are surviving.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I suspect @Hollywood Couturier won't like this idea but I'd be ok with getting NHL/NBA players and staff vaccinated as front-line just so they can do their song and dance to amuse the masses. Morale matters.

Also, sports leagues serve as widely accessible and understandable examples for everyone else. Showing vaccination success in sports is free advertising to get everyone else on board.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I suspect @Hollywood Couturier won't like this idea but I'd be ok with getting NHL/NBA players and staff vaccinated as front-line just so they can do their song and dance to amuse the masses. Morale matters.

I'm not opposed as long as they are open and honest about it and don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining. Also those athletes better not complain about how hard their lives are and the sacrifices they've made.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Also, sports leagues serve as widely accessible and understandable examples for everyone else. Showing vaccination success in sports is free advertising to get everyone else on board.

I was immediately against your idea of putting professional athletes in the hierarchy of who in society should be treated first. Plus, choosing people at peak physical form would complicate the projection of how the population as a whole will respond to the vaccine in terms of serious adverse effects. Then I thought that the obvious choice -- front-line healthcare workers -- would also be a bad choice on the slim chance that the vaccine goes I Am Legend and turns recipients into rage zombies, in which case we would decimate the very people who could help to treat. But if professional athletes were annihilated, they don't serve a unique and not-easily-replaceable skill set. Then I thought what an awful idea it would be to have not just rage zombies but rage zombies who were super athletes. Imagine being run down by zombie Lebron James. However, it would make shooting zombies in the head much less ethically difficult if they were wearing your team's rival uniform. ("And THIS is for the 2018 playoff elimination!!" BANG!)

I tend to overthink things.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was immediately against your idea of putting professional athletes in the hierarchy of who in society should be treated first. Plus, choosing people at peak physical form would complicate the projection of how the population as a whole will respond to the vaccine in terms of serious adverse effects. Then I thought that the obvious choice -- front-line healthcare workers -- would also be a bad choice on the slim chance that the vaccine goes I Am Legend and turns recipients into rage zombies, in which case we would decimate the very people who could help to treat. But if professional athletes were annihilated, they don't serve a unique and not-easily-replaceable skill set. Then I thought what an awful idea it would be to have not just rage zombies but rage zombies who were super athletes. Imagine being run down by zombie Lebron James. However, it would make shooting zombies in the head much less ethically difficult if they were wearing your team's rival uniform. ("And THIS is for the 2018 playoff elimination!!" BANG!)

I tend to overthink things.

We vaccinate half of every league. The non-zombie half defeats the zombie half

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But on a serious note, I'm not saying they should be vaccinated over health workers, but should be in the category of grocery store worker. Which many states consider a "front line" occupation.

Sports are a distraction for a ton of the population, and even in distance-mode they generate economic activity because people still make events of them when they can. I still get takeout wings or shell out a bit more on food for usage on grill or smoker, for instance, because of the Sporting Event.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I don’t think there will be a season because too many teams are vitally dependent on gate revenue to survive. Canada is not going to allow fans in stadiums before summer and even if the vaccines work well and are distributed in record time, I doubt most U.S. teams are allowing fans in indoor stadiums before May/June at the absolute earliest. Owners in Florida, Arizona, and possibly 2-3 other cities will fold their teams rather than play a season with no gate revenue. Unless the players are willing to take a massive one year pay cut, at least 50% if not more, this season is not going to happen.

Bettman can say what he wants and spin til he gets dizzy, but at the end of the day, his leverage is limited. Counting on the cash from Seattle isn’t a cure either as I’m sure the owners of the team aren’t going to part with the cash until they are guaranteed of a 21-22 season with full fan participation.

Reactions: Devonator

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
But on a serious note, I'm not saying they should be vaccinated over health workers, but should be in the category of grocery store worker. Which many states consider a "front line" occupation.

Sports are a distraction for a ton of the population, and even in distance-mode they generate economic activity because people still make events of them when they can. I still get takeout wings or shell out a bit more on food for usage on grill or smoker, for instance, because of the Sporting Event.

I'll match your seriousness. The world has largely ground to a halt and our daily routines have been flipped on their heads. There is an unparalleled opportunity to bring about major changes in our society that focus on what is truly important. And as much of a sports fan as I am, pro athletes aren't important. I won't discount your point about the value of entertainment and the revenue generation associated with pro sports, but do we really want to hold onto bread and circuses as a foundation stone of our civilization?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
So if the owners post losses this year, do the players take the hit in escrow, being 50-50

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Who cares if the players get infected? They are all young, fit, & at no more risk from Covid than they are the regular flu. What pro athlete has had serious complications after testing positive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->