2020 Off-Season Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Wonder if there’s any chance we can make a deal with Calgary based around Hanifin for Kuemper? Allows for more flexibility with a potential OEL trade. Perhaps Calgary would be more willing if add a cap benefit to the deal for them. Like maybe Grabner for Lucic. That would make the deal cash friendly for us and cap friendly for them.

I’d love to add Hanifin and then think about something around Schmaltz for Dumba potentially.

Chychrun - Dumba
Hanifin - Soderstrom
Capobianco - Oesterle

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Maybe even do Oesterle + Schmaltz for Dumba and try to sign a guy like Dillon...seems like he’s going to head to free agency.

Chychrun - Dumba
Hanifin - Dillon
Capo - Soderstrom

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Petro will not be the highest paid D man in the League. And cut the insults, it's a discussion board.
It's very hard to have "discussions" with you when you seem to waffle between deliberately ignoring people's actual points or nitpicking minutiae that are not even remotely relevant to the point being made...

Reactions: Surfshop

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I’d love to add Hanifin and then think about something around Schmaltz for Dumba potentially.

Chychrun - Dumba
Hanifin - Soderstrom
Capobianco - Oesterle

I like this line of thinking...trouble is OEL is traded for what?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Maybe even do Oesterle + Schmaltz for Dumba and try to sign a guy like Dillon...seems like he’s going to head to free agency.

Chychrun - Dumba
Hanifin - Dillon
Capo - Soderstrom

Schmaltz + Stepan + Fischer for Dumba + Greenway + Dubnyk (cap dump)?

Can one of the other young D (Crotty? ) make the team? More Boston U guys :)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think you can only do that if you think Greenway can play center in the NHL. Which is not obvious to me. Maybe if you pick up a Compher, Kerfoot, McCann type player first. Or a Haula or Granlund in free agency.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you can only do that if you think Greenway can play center in the NHL. Which is not obvious to me. Maybe if you pick up a Compher, Kerfoot, McCann type player first. Or a Haula or Granlund in free agency.
There are going to be many good players that will not be qualified because of budgets. We might be able to upgrade from Fischer and Vinny after other teams not qualifying some players.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's very hard to have "discussions" with you when you seem to waffle between deliberately ignoring people's actual points or nitpicking minutiae that are not even remotely relevant to the point being made...
You might not have noticed buy i agreed with your previous point but just added that for the player the grass might not be greener elsewhere. No idea where you are getting this thought from that I am arguing your point?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Schmaltz + Stepan + Fischer for Dumba + Greenway + Dubnyk (cap dump)?

Can one of the other young D (Crotty? ) make the team? More Boston U guys :)
Why is Minny dumping Dubnyk after a single bad season while dealing with Wife's illness? And with no other goalie and 1 year left on his deal.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Of course a goalie has to play well, I have written that many times. But when you look at those goalies they are average goalies compared to the best oft their generation. During their Cup runs their stats were middle of the pack. They are not looked at as Elite goalies. This isnt the 80's so Fuhr's stats are irrelevant. A save percentage over .900 was rare then, now under it gets you unemployed

You've also written many times that middle of the pack / average goaltending wins cups. Like, yesterday...?

In 6 of the last 10 years the Cup winning goalie was middle of the pack for playoff stats.

Seriously Jamieh what are you doing. If you're not actively trolling you're embarrassing yourself

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You've also written many times that middle of the pack / average goaltending wins cups. Like, yesterday...?

Seriously Jamieh what are you doing. If you're not actively trolling you're embarrassing yourself
The team that is 3 wins from the Cup has an average goalie. As a matter of fact he is career backup. He currently sits 20th in GAA, abd 13th in SV%. How exactly is that not average goaltending?? if he loses the guy winning the Cup is presently better at 5th and 8th. I have no idea how you can argue that Elite goaltending is needed to win the Cup??? I noticed you quoted my stats post but did not challenge it? I wonder why?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
The team that is 3 wins from the Cup has an average goalie. As a matter of fact he is career backup. He currently sits 20th in GAA, abd 13th in SV%. How exactly is that not average goaltending?? if he loses the guy winning the Cup is presently better at 5th and 8th. I have no idea how you can argue that Elite goaltending is needed to win the Cup??? I noticed you quoted my stats post but did not challenge it? I wonder why?

Because as I said previously I think you're trolling. I think that even more now when you say things like Tim Thomas, Jonathan Quick etc were average goaltenders (esp during their cup runs), not a single person who follows hockey would agree with you.

Did you watch the game last night? Also using your own argument re: stats Khudobin led the league is SV% this year (all goalies) so I guess he must be elite

NHL Stats

Reactions: _Del_

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You and I have disagreed about the importance of goalies in the playoffs for a long time. Let's agree to disagree.:thumbu:
Goalies need to rise to the occasion in the playoffs, just like the team in front of them. I swear.... you guys and your goalie fetishes..

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Also are you now again saying that average goaltending win cups? I thought you've written many times that of course a goalie has to play well.

:dunno:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Because as I said previously I think you're trolling. I think that even more now when you say things like Tim Thomas, Jonathan Quick etc were average goaltenders (esp during their cup runs), not a single person who follows hockey would agree with you.

Did you watch the game last night? Also using your own argument re: stats Khudobin led the league is SV% this year (all goalies) so I guess he must be elite

NHL Stats
If you were starting a free draft from scratch the first 10 goalies picked would be the above average goalies, the next 10 would be the average goalies, and tge last 12 would be tge below average goalies. Every single one of the 32 can play stretches of great goaltending. My argument has been and still is that you do not need to have one of the 1st ten picked to win a Cup. You can win without a top tier goalie easier than not having a number 1 center or D. Now where would you draft Khudobin?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Also are you now again saying that average goaltending win cups? I thought you've written many times that of course a goalie has to play well.

:dunno:
You are confusing my agument of a goalie being average to a goalie not playing well. Khudobin is an average goalie who is playing better than his ability. But in reality his stats are exactly average this playoffs.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
You are confusing my agument of a goalie being average to a goalie not playing well. Khudobin is an average goalie who is playing better than his ability. But in reality his stats are exactly average this playoffs.

I'm not confusing anything. This entire thing started when you said Quick was average in the 2014 playoffs because he had middle of the pack save percentage during that year's playoffs.

Except that year, Quick won 3 game 7s on the road, and then 3 games in OT in the SCF. Not to mention overcoming a 3-0 deficit in the first round against SJ, incl 2 goals given up total over the final 3 games of that series. Anyone who follows hockey even a little bit would understand that no, Quick was actually pretty good that year / crucial to LA's cup despite a mediocre save percentage during the playoffs.

So I assume either you don't follow hockey or that you're actively trolling. Which is fine I guess, this is the internet.

Anyway now I'm using that exact same argument (e.g., the one you started with) to show you that Khudobin's elite this year. Do I believe it? Not really. But it's your own stupid logic

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm not confusing anything. This entire thing started when you said Quick was average in the 2014 playoffs because he had middle of the pack save percentage during that year's playoffs.

Except that year, Quick won 3 game 7s on the road, and then 3 games in OT in the SCF. Not to mention overcoming a 3-0 deficit in the first round against SJ, incl 2 goals given up total over the final 3 games of that series. Anyone who follows hockey even a little bit would understand that no, Quick was actually pretty good that year / crucial to LA's cup despite a mediocre save percentage during the playoffs.

So I assume either you don't follow hockey or that you're actively trolling. Which is fine I guess, this is the internet.

Anyway now I'm using that exact same argument (e.g., the one you started with) to show you that Khudobin's elite this year. Do I believe it? Not really. But it's your own stupid logic
So winning games is elite irregardless of stats? Here are the stats for 2014 playoffs, no idea how you can argue Quick was not average? You can't just count his good games.

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Goalie Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->