2020 Off-Season Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Trade everyone on the roster over 25 years of age. Restock the cupboards and drive the head coach so crazy in the process that he literally just quits.

Then maybe the owner can hire some cheaper coaches, and stop laying off regular working people that are actually good at their jobs.

Really it’s just good class praxis.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I want to root for Sullivan but there has to be blood on his hands after the prospect testing. Unless he was fully vocal against it, then it should be a big strike against him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Trade everyone on the roster over 25 years of age. Restock the cupboards and drive the head coach so crazy in the process that he literally just quits.

Then maybe the owner can hire some cheaper coaches, and stop laying off regular working people that are actually good at their jobs.

Really it’s just good class praxis.
You lay off workers when there is no revenue coming in. Not Meruelo's fault.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I want to root for Sullivan but there has to be blood on his hands after the prospect testing. Unless he was fully vocal against it, then it should be a big strike against him.
Could there be blood on RT's hands also?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Would NYR give up anything decent to get out of the final year of Marc Staal?

They're not too bad cap wise but there are a couple issues like the three goalies and Lundqvist's contract. They also have a 6 mil (!) cap penalty next season for the Shattenkirk buyout.

We could send them Grabner for Staal which saves them over 2 mil in cap and actually cuts our cash by 500k. But what's in it for us? What's the add? They have two first-round picks but that seems a little steep considering it's only 1 year and they're not exactly in a corner here cap wise.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Would love that, but I don't know what we have. He's another guy that we could have bought lower.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004

Sounds like he’s available

All a question of perception but I almost see it the opposite way. I see it as Benning telling Virtanen "you can do a lot more for us, go work in the off season and be the stud we think you can be".

I see zero incentive for the Canucks GM to trash his player in the media reducing his trade value somewhat in the process.

But I might be wrong.

Reactions: Kaizen

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I dunno. It's Jim Benning. Watch an interview and he sounds like Barney Gumble. This is also a guy who got fined $50,000 for making public comments (tampering) about Subban and Stamkos.

Reactions: ParisSaintGermain

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Imagine how sour the old boys will be if we acquire a bunch of picks and get to use our stretchgate info after all :naughty:

Grabbing 5 or more would have to qualify as giving the league the double bird. It needs to happen.

Reactions: BigDoaner

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Man if you guys could get rid of your coach and hire Gerard Gallant you guys would be set behind the bench. Let Gallant get his own coaching staff too and you guys should be able to cut down your rebuild by a few years.

Reactions: moosemeister

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is our "Do Nothing" roster as of right now:

Keller - Dvorak - Garland
Crouse - Hayton - Schmaltz
Grabner - Stepan - Kessel
??? - ??? - ???

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Goligoski
Oesterle - Hjalmarsson
Soderstrom

Kuemper
Raanta

Pricetag with 3 Roadrunners on the 4th: $78.2m
Cap Space: $3.25m

It's expensive, bad, and expiring. Just look at it. They didn't even make the playoffs with Hall, Soderberg, Richardson added to this.

There is no way forward with this roster.

Reactions: Flyotes

rt

May 13, 2004
This is our "Do Nothing" roster as of right now:

Pricetag with 3 Roadrunners on the 4th: $78.2m
Cap Space: $3.25m

It's expensive, bad, and expiring. Just look at it. They didn't even make the playoffs with Hall, Soderberg, Richardson added to this.

There is no way forward with this roster.
I could see OEL for a roster center. Maybe Monahan? Then maybe Raanta for a draft pick. Use the savings from those two trades to grab a lower end UFA D and a lower end UFA winger.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I could see OEL for a roster center. Maybe Monahan? Then maybe Raanta for a draft pick. Use the savings from those two trades to grab a lower end UFA D and a lower end UFA winger.

I don't really want Monahan. I prefer the Domi+Mete+picks from Montreal package, assuming Domi wants to play here.

Gut reaction:
Compher
Jost
2020 1st

for

Kuemper
Demers

No goalie coming back on purpose.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Any thoughts on the actual budget for next season? Lots of talk about more than a few teams putting internal budgets in place regardless of Cap because of income losses, both with teams and Owner's other business interests. Not hard to imagine we might be shedding some high end contracts without adding anything but League minimums.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't really want Monahan. I prefer the Domi+Mete+picks from Montreal package, assuming Domi wants to play here.

Gut reaction:
Compher
Jost
2020 1st

for

Kuemper
Demers

No goalie coming back on purpose.
I’m not talking about what I want. Haha. I’m living in Tocchet’s world. I think OEL could go, but I don’t think Kuemper will.

rt

May 13, 2004
I wonder if a Tocchet friendly trade could be something like OEL+Hall’s Rights for Compher+Jost+Zadorov+25th overall.

JTC makes center depth. Jost helps cover the loss of Hall (hahahah) and Zadorov helps cover the loss of OEL. 25th gets us back in the draft and gives the fans some hope.

Then they do Raanta for a pick to free up some extra cap/cash. And that’s the offseason right there. No more changes.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
My offseason needs:
  • OEL or Kuemper are traded for younger players/prospects and picks. 1 point for each of these players that are moved BEFORE the start of the season. .5 if it is during the season.
  • Start weeding out the old Bud-lite farts throughout the season. I don't care if it is in the offseason or closer to TDL as I think the value for these players will be a rollercoaster depending on how they look during the season, or where teams cap space is in the offseason. .5 points for each player that is moved that meets the over 25 and country club mentality that is moved.
  • Hire Hextal (3 points), Sully (2 points) or Burke (1 point). Futa or Artmstrong (0 points). I think Burke's overall experience in the NHL puts him above these two. If any of the TV personalities are hired it is -2 points.
  • Fire RT before the TDL (2 points midseason, 5 points if it happens in the offseason). If he is retained I become a Krakhead
I need 7 points by the TDL to keep torturing myself as an AZ fan.

Reactions: Mosby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad