Prospect Info: 2020 NJ Devils Draft Recap

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Okay, maybe it did not go how we expected it to. But it never does, right? I'd say the lion's share of Devils fans I conversed with wanted a defenseman -- particularly Jamie Drysdale or Jake Sanderson with the #7 pick. I think I spent a solid one-third of my pre-draft writing trying to explain that both of those young blue-chippers would be gone by the #7 pick. But that does not mean that the Devils are not a whole lot better off today than they were last week.

The Devils had a clear-cut need for a top-line caliber scoring RW for Hughes and Hischier. The Devils got two of them. For that reason alone, the 2020 draft must be considered a success. The Devils leave the 2020 draft with perhaps the deepest prospect pool in the entire NHL. Prospects who are almost afterthoughts outside the Devils top 20 -- players like Pasic and Studenic and Moynihan -- are top 10 prospects for over half the teams in the league. The Devils now boast incredible depth at LD and both wings, and this is not even mentioning the fact that the Devils enjoy an incredible and young top 2 center combo of Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier. So, the future is bright.

#7 -- RW Alexander Holtz, Djurgarden SHL
Holtz is the clear-cut best goal-scorer in the draft. Though he's not a true line driver like some forwards the Devils passed on in Rossi, Perfetti and Jarvis -- he's the ultimate finisher, and the perfect shotgun for playmaking centers like Hughes and Hischier. This kid is going to score a ton of goals in a Devils jersey. He has the rare shot which can beat a set goalie with no screen from virtually anywhere in the offensive zone. And -- contrary to what some of his critics have written -- Holtz is not a one trick pony. He also possesses exceptional hands, skates well, passes well and plays a competitive and smart two-way game. There's no risk and no liability -- Holtz is simply an elite goal-scoring prospect who is also a good hockey player. Was he the best possible pick at #7? Time will tell, but I am willing to bet the bank that he will be one heck of an offensive force at the NHL level.

#18 -- RW/C Dawson Mercer, Chicoutimi QMJHL
My favorite pick of the draft, and a guy I hoped would last until this pick. In my final mock draft (9 hits out of 31, beating everyone at ESPN, the Athletic, TSN and probably the world... if I do say so myself), I had the Devils taking Mercer here and was thrilled when it came to fruition. Mercer oozes character, heart, brains and hustle -- you name the intangible, he's got it in spades. These maximize an impressive skill set -- Mercer has elite hands and near-elite playmaking skills. He's also a terrific scorer, making him a true dual-threat winger. Mercer's versatility is increased by the fact he's an all-situations guy -- someone who can excel on the PK or PP, someone who can excel on a checking line (as he did for Canada at the WJC) or as your go-to scorer (as he did for Chicoutimi). This is, quite simply, the kind of kid who wear wear a letter on his jersey someday, and the kind of player you win with. An A+ pick for the Devils.

#20 -- LD Shakir Mukhamadullin, Salavat Ufa KHL
A pick which will be discussed for a very long time. The 2020 draft class was overflowing with talented wingers and very thin at D. If the Devils had gotten Drysdale or Sanderson at #7, would they have taken a chance on the extremely talented but mercurial Mukhamadullin at #20? I would have to say no, especially considering the depth of forward talent available at #20. But the Devils may well have had their hearts set on getting at least one defenseman from their three first round picks, and there is no denying Mukhamadullin's upside. With Shakir, we have a 6'3 kid who skates well, is good with the puck and willing to play physical. His primary weapon is his shot -- an absolute cannon from the point -- which is only challenged by Jeremie Poirier as the best shot among any 2020 defense draftee. At the outset of the 2019-20 season, I had Mukhamadullin ranked just outside of my top 10, due to his terrific tool-set. But unfortunately, his KHL playing time as an 18 year old was scarce at best and his confidence seemed to wane as a result. I was forced to drop him down my draft board has his play declined over the course of his draft-eligible season. It's possible that a hot start this season shot him back up the draft boards, which led the Devils to take him at #20 overall. Ultimately, I would have preferred if GM Tom Fitzgerald traded down with Washington, picking up more assets and still getting Mukhamadullin. But it's just speculation as to what the trade market was in the first round of the draft. In the end, the Devils have a very talented LD with a lot of questions still to answer playing a more regular role for Salavat Ufa of the KHL.

#84 G Nico Daws, Guelph OHL
There was great speculation that the Devils would draft a goaltender early, and this came to fruition with Daws in the third round. A big and athletic kid at 6'4, the comparison I read for Daws leading up to the draft was -- most often -- New Jersey's own MacKenzie Blackwood. Although he had the benefit of being an over-ager, Daws put up some incredible stats in an otherwise porous defensive OHL this past year. He was routinely ranked as the top North American netminder in the 2020 class, so Devils fans should be quite optimistic about this pick.

#99 C Jaromir Pytlik, Sault Ste. Marie OHL
This was a pick I was quite pumped about. One of the Devils needs going into the 2020 draft was for power forwards, and Pytlik is a huge kid at 6'3-210 who is impossible to knock off his skates. Though his offensive ceiling is likely as a very good third-liner, the young Czech skates well for his size and has a bomb of a shot. But the real reason you're drafting him is for his combination of high intelligence, great compete level and advanced anticipation and two-way play. He's a future shut-down force with size and power up the middle, the perfect bottom-6 foil to your superstar combo of Hughes and Hischier. My final ranking for Pytlik was #75, and he's a very high-floor player with a greater chance for a future regular role than many forwards who were drafted far higher. Just a terrific pick for your 4th round.

#120 LD Ethan Edwards, Spruce Grove AJHL
#130 C Artem Shlaine, Shattuck St-Mary's USHS
#161 C Benjamin Baumgartner, Davos SWISS

I'm lumping these players together because I have to be honest and say none of the picks thrilled me. With late round picks, I think the shrewd decision is to go one of two ways -- with a high-floor intangibles-type player, or with a high-ceiling player with dynamic tools, but who have fallen for certain weaknesses you hope can be alleviated. The perfect example of the "high floor" type would be last year's picks of defensive defensemen Michael Vukojevic and Case McCarthy, followed by a 7th round steal of do-it-all Swedish winger Nikola Pasic. The perfect example of "high ceiling" would obviously be Jesper Bratt.

None of these players really fit into either category. There is not a high floor among the three of them, there is not a singular dynamic tool between the three of them. Edwards is an undersized puck-rusher who is pretty good in his own zone but lacks high-end skating or skills. Shlaine is a project center with a projectable frame and pretty good playmaking who needs to hone his overall game and improve his skating to have a shot at the NHL. Baumgartner is an over-aged, undersized center who is very productive in space but lacks any electrifying elements to his game which would likely project him to an NHL top 6.

I'm not going to dwell too much because, again, the Devils had three first round picks, and that is what the 2020 Devils draft will be remembered for. Was it ideal? Maybe not, but the Devils are a lot better off now than they were last week. The future is bright and the prospect pool is deep and talented.

Last edited:

NJDevs86

Nov 4, 2018
Orlando, Florida
We have trouble putting the puck in the net and our defense is a serious weakness. We got the best pure goal scorer with the best shot in Holtz, great fortune in Mercer being there at 18 and took a risk/reward pick on a young defenseman with all the tools. Plus we added the number 1 rated NA goalie.

Hard for me to be upset with this draft aside from just not taking the certain “guys” we fell in love with.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I’m satisfied with the draft, but not thrilled. It all comes down to the three 1st rounders. The Mookie pick at 20 just feels like a missed opportunity to knock it out of the park. And as has been discussed ad nauseam, the excitement of Rossi falling into our laps at 7 to take Holtz was slightly disappointing, despite Holtz still being a great prospect in his own right.

Looking back, I would have been ecstatic if we walked away with Rossi, Mercer and Zary/Lapierre. This still feels like a very solid outcome, but there’s just a slight sense of missing out on a blockbuster draft.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Okay, maybe it did not go how we expected it to. But it never does, right? I'd say the lion's share of Devils fans I conversed with wanted a defenseman -- particularly Jamie Drysdale or Jake Sanderson with the #7 pick. I think I spent a solid one-third of my pre-draft writing trying to explain that both of those young blue-chippers would be gone by the #7 pick. But that does not mean that the Devils are not a whole lot better off today than they were last week.

The Devils had a clear-cut need for a top-line caliber scoring RW for Hughes and Hischier. The Devils got two of them. For that reason alone, the 2020 draft must be considered a success. The Devils leave the 2020 draft with perhaps the deepest prospect pool in the entire NHL. Prospects who are almost afterthoughts outside the Devils top 20 -- players like Pasic and Studenic and Moynihan -- are top 10 prospects for over half the teams in the league. The Devils now boast incredible depth at LD and both wings, and this is not even mentioning the fact that the Devils enjoy an incredible and young top 2 center combo of Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier. So, the future is bright.

#7 -- RW Alexander Holtz, Djurgarden SHL
Holtz is the clear-cut best goal-scorer in the draft. Though he's not a true line driver like some forwards the Devils passed on in Rossi, Perfetti and Jarvis -- he's the ultimate finisher, and the perfect shotgun for playmaking centers like Hughes and Hischier. This kid is going to score a ton of goals in a Devils jersey. He has the rare shot which can beat a set goalie with no screen from virtually anywhere in the offensive zone. And -- contrary to what some of his critics have written -- Holtz is not a one trick pony. He also possesses exceptional hands, skates well, passes well and plays a competitive and smart two-way game. There's no risk and no liability -- Holtz is simply an elite goal-scoring prospect who is also a good hockey player. Was he the best possible pick at #7? Time will tell, but I am willing to bet the bank that he will be one heck of an offensive force at the NHL level.

#18 -- RW/C Dawson Mercer, Chicoutimi QMJHL
My favorite pick of the draft, and a guy I hoped would last until this pick. In my final mock draft (9 hits out of 31, beating everyone at ESPN, the Athletic, TSN and probably the world... if I do say so myself), I had the Devils taking Mercer here and was thrilled when it came to fruition. Mercer oozes character, heart, brains and hustle -- you name the intangible, he's got it in spades. These maximize an impressive skill set -- Mercer has elite hands and near-elite playmaking skills. He's also a terrific scorer, making him a true dual-threat winger. Mercer's versatility is increased by the fact he's an all-situations guy -- someone who can excel on the PK or PP, someone who can excel on a checking line (as he did for Canada at the WJC) or as your go-to scorer (as he did for Chicoutimi). This is, quite simply, the kind of kid who wear wear a letter on his jersey someday, and the kind of player you win with. An A+ pick for the Devils.

#20 -- LD Shakir Mukhamadullin, Salavat Ufa KHL
A pick which will be discussed for a very long time. The 2020 draft class was overflowing with talented wingers and very thin at D. If the Devils had gotten Drysdale or Sanderson at #7, would they have taken a chance on the extremely talented but mercurial Mukhamadullin at #20? I would have to say no, especially considering the depth of forward talent available at #20. But the Devils may well have had their hearts set on getting at least one defenseman from their three first round picks, and there is no denying Mukhamadullin's upside. With Shakir, we have a 6'3 kid who skates well, is good with the puck and willing to play physical. His primary weapon is his shot -- an absolute cannon from the point -- which is only challenged by Jeremie Poirier as the best shot among any 2020 defense draftee. At the outset of the 2019-20 season, I had Mukhamadullin ranked just outside of my top 10, due to his terrific tool-set. But unfortunately, his KHL playing time as an 18 year old was scarce at best and his confidence seemed to wane as a result. I was forced to drop him down my draft board has his lay declined over the course of his draft-eligible season. It's possible that a hot start this season shot him back up the draft boards, which led the Devils to take him at #20 overall. Ultimately, I would have preferred if GM Tom Fitzgerald traded down with Washington, picking up more assets and still getting Mukhamadullin. But it's just speculation as to what the trade market was in the first round of the draft. In the end, the Devils have a very talented LD with a lot of questions still to answer laying a more regular role for Salavat Ufa of the KHL.

#84 G Nico Daws, Guelph OHL
There was great speculation that the Devils would draft a goaltender early, and this came to fruition with Daws in the third round. A big and athletic kid at 6'4, the comparison I read for Daws leading up to the draft was -- most often -- New Jersey's own MacKenzie Blackwood. Although he had the benefit of being an over-ager, Daws put up some incredible stats in an otherwise porous defensive OHL this past year. He was routinely ranked as the top North American netminder in the 2020 class, so Devils fans should be quite optimistic about this pick.

#99 C Jaromir Pytlik, Sault Ste. Marie OHL
This was a pick I was quite pumped about. One of the Devils needs going into the 2020 draft was for power forwards, and Pytlik is a huge kid at 6'3-210 who is impossible to knock off his skates. Though his offensive ceiling is likely as a very good third-liner, the young Czech skates well for his size and has a bomb of a shot. But the real reason you're drafting him is for his combination of high intelligence, great compete level and advanced anticipation and two-way play. He's a future shut-down force with size and power up the middle, the perfect bottom-6 foil to your superstar combo of Hughes and Hischier. My final ranking for Pytlik was #75, and he's a very high-floor player with a greater chance for a future regular role than many forwards who were drafted far higher. Just a terrific pick for your 4th round.

#120 LD Ethan Edwards, Spruce Grove AJHL
#130 C Artem Shlaine, Shattuck St-Mary's USHS
#161 C Benjamin Baumgartner, Davos SWISS

I'm lumping these players together because I have to be honest and say none of the picks thrilled me. With late round picks, I think the shrewd decision is to go one of two ways -- with a high-floor intangibles-type player, or with a high-ceiling player with dynamic tools, but who have fallen for certain weaknesses you hope can be alleviated. The perfect example of the "high floor" type would be last year's picks of defensive defensemen Michael Vukojevic and Case McCarthy, followed by a 7th round steal of do-it-all Swedish winger Nikola Pasic. The perfect example of "high ceiling" would obviously be Jesper Bratt.

None of these players really fit into either category. There is not a high floor among the three of them, there is not a singular dynamic tool between the three of them. Edwards is an undersized puck-rusher who is pretty good in his own zone but lacks high-end skating or skills. Shlaine is a project center with a projectable frame and pretty good playmaking who needs to hone his overall game and improve his skating to have a shot at the NHL. Baumgartner is an over-aged, undersized center who is very productive in space but lacks any electrifying elements to his game which would likely project him to an NHL top 6.

I'm not going to dwell too much because, again, the Devils had three first round picks, and that is what the 2020 Devils draft will be remembered for. Was it ideal? Maybe not, but the Devils are a lot better off now than they were last week. The future is bright and the prospect pool is deep and talented.
Thanks for all the great info throughout the draft process:thumbu:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Id love to give my detailed thoughts on the picks with grades, but dont want to do it since its not my thread

If our local scout @StevenToddIves doesn't mind than Ill type it up later!

I was very satisfied with the draft and I think a lot of people knew that. I just want to be clear that it wasnt a blind optimism nor just being optimistic because the draft chat got a bit down at times. I was genuinely excited for almost every pick we made after doing the proper research and due diligence.

I think this draft will be huge for us in the long-term and I feel five maybe even six talents make NHL appearances from our 2020 lineup.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Id love to give my detailed thoughts on the picks with grades, but dont want to do it since its not my thread

If our local scout @StevenToddIves doesn't mind than Ill type it up later!

I was very satisfied with the draft and I think a lot of people knew that. I just want to be clear that it wasnt a blind optimism nor just being optimistic because the draft chat got a bit down at times. I was genuinely excited for almost every pick we made after doing the proper research and due diligence.

I think this draft will be huge for us in the long-term and I feel five maybe even six talents make NHL appearances from our 2020 lineup.

There's no such thing as "my" thread. All of these threads are for all of us. Post away!

Reactions: My3Sons

A Devils Fan

Nov 17, 2019
Not sure if it's coincidence and/or something you just tend to see once you get out of the first couple rounds, but I feel like Fitz is picking a lot of players whose main knocks against them are skating-related (Holtz, Pytlick, Shlaine, and I've seen some reports that Mukhamadullin's skating is good and some that say otherwise). I'm a fan of this cuz I feel like skating is one of the easier (or let's say less complicated?) aspects for a prospect to improve on.

Shero seemed like he was often targeting players with high-end skating, and I feel like that can get you in trouble because there's a skill bottleneck at the NHL level where suddenly everyone is some baseline level of good. So a player like McLeod whose used to flying around the rink at top speed suddenly doesn't have that advantage at higher levels, and his lack of other skills gets exposed.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
thank you! great read, as always. positionally, this draft was a home run. RW was one of our biggest weaknesses, and now it’s looking like one of our biggest strengths. i would’ve loved to bolster our blue line a bit more, but there wasn’t a ton of high-end defensemen to choose from.

our next step should be signing (doubtful) or trading for a top 4 defenseman. or, acquiring as many 2021 first round picks as possible.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I think there’s an obvious emphasis on pro readiness this year, at least at the top of the draft, and the Baumgartner pick.

Outside of Shak who’s under contract for a couple more years, I think you may see four guys or five players we drafted on the NHL or AHL roster starting next year. Holtz the obvious one to be in NJ. Mercer and Pytlik are early birthdays who could play AHL as early as next year. Daws and Baumgartner being overagers should also play soon.

There’s been a developmental philosophy shift within the organization these past few years. I think the brass wants to get their hands on these kids early, and groom them how they want in the AHL. The last couple years has to be the youngest I ever remember our AHL affiliate being.

They want to put the rebuild in overdrive.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for all your work before, during, and after the draft yet again @StevenToddIves

Mixed bag draft for sure but hopefully #20 proves us wrong, it was just too out of left field to feel right

I think the selections were tinged by need over BPA but I wish our new kids all the best

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i also clap my hands for @StevenToddIves effort. loved the input i gained.

i wonder, if you could get us your view of the devils talent pipeline. i wonder, how you rank them and why. a guy like pytlik might be lower in a pure talent ranking and still close to the nhl as he fits for a specific bottom 6 role, where the team has a need. boqvist might has the talent for a top6 role, but won't ever make it to the nhl full time. i would like to see how you balance potential impact and the likely hood a player makes the team.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

Corey Pronman:
2020 Draft Grade: A–

In Alexander Holtz and Dawson Mercer, the Devils got two very good forward prospects who project to become important parts of their team. I like their other first-round pick, Shakir Mukhamdullin. I think he’s an NHL player. I’m not sold he’s a top-four defenseman but I see the argument. Both goalie Nico Daws and forward Jaromir Pytlik have decent chances to play games too.

@Devils731 already mentioned that second one.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure if it's coincidence and/or something you just tend to see once you get out of the first couple rounds, but I feel like Fitz is picking a lot of players whose main knocks against them are skating-related (Holtz, Pytlick, Shlaine, and I've seen some reports that Mukhamadullin's skating is good and some that say otherwise). I'm a fan of this cuz I feel like skating is one of the easier (or let's say less complicated?) aspects for a prospect to improve on.

Shero seemed like he was often targeting players with high-end skating, and I feel like that can get you in trouble because there's a skill bottleneck at the NHL level where suddenly everyone is some baseline level of good. So a player like McLeod whose used to flying around the rink at top speed suddenly doesn't have that advantage at higher levels, and his lack of other skills gets exposed.

Anyone who views Mukhamadullin's skating as a weakness has not actually watched him to any degree. I am far from the biggest cheerleader for this pick, but we need to be honest and realistic. Though Mukhamadullin is far from what you would call a burner, he's quite mobile -- not only "for his size", but especially when that is factored in -- and had no problem keeping up with the pace as a teenager in the second-best hockey league in the world.

Holtz's skating is also far from a weakness. Again, I'm not sure who came up with this or why -- but Holtz is a pretty good skater. We're not talking about a guy who will blow past two defenders, but we're also not talking about a kid who will be caught from behind on a breakaway. Pytlik's skating? Also not a weakness. Though not fast, he's also not slow and he has tremendous balance -- he's almost impossible to knock off his skates.

I use the traditional NHL scouting scale to rank the tools, which go on the 20-80 range. The stupid thing about this scale is that no one is ever a 20 and no one is ever an 80. Even so, "average for the NHL" would be a 50. So, a guy not known for his wheels like Pat Maroon would be a 40, while Connor McDavid would be a 75. The best skater on the Devils is Jack Hughes, who I think is in the 70 range. Using this scale, I'd say Mukhamadullin and Holtz are a 55 and Pytlik is a 50. Dawson Mercer is also a 50, and it's his only skill which is not a true "plus skill". Of course, these are also four 18 year olds who have a great deal of time to improve in all areas of the game. Jamie Benn was a 40-45 when he was drafted, and worked his way up into the 55 range when he broke into the NHL and became a superstar because of it.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I use the traditional NHL scouting scale to rank the tools, which go on the 20-80 range. The stupid thing about this scale is that no one is ever a 20 and no one is ever an 80. Even so, "average for the NHL" would be a 50.
So this scale... is it compared to NHL players RIGHT NOW? Or compared to NHL players when they were the age of the prospects? Or does skating usually not really change much better by the time they're drafted?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
thank you! great read, as always. positionally, this draft was a home run. RW was one of our biggest weaknesses, and now it’s looking like one of our biggest strengths. i would’ve loved to bolster our blue line a bit more, but there wasn’t a ton of high-end defensemen to choose from.

our next step should be signing (doubtful) or trading for a top 4 defenseman. or, acquiring as many 2021 first round picks as possible.

To me, a first-round pick on defense should be a guy who there is no doubt will contribute, and also has the upside to at least blossom into a high-end, mid-pairing player. In this draft, there were only four players who fit that description -- Drysdale, Sanderson, Schneider and Guhle.

Also to me, a second-round pick on defense should be either a high-floor, low-ceiling kind of player like Ryan O'Rourke or Brock Faber, or a swing for the fences -- a high risk/high-reward guy who could possibly grow into a top-pairing defenseman. There were only two of those in the 2020 draft -- Jeremie Poirier and Shakir Mukhamadullin. Did the Devils reach a bit by grabbing Mukhamadullin at #20 overall? Perhaps, but they knew that with a dearth of blueline talent in the 2020 class and no second-round pick, the Devils needed to take their D at 20 or miss out altogether. I also would add that Mukhamadullin is a better pick than Poirier -- even though Poirier has significantly more offensive upside than any D in the draft aside from Drysdale, he's also a disaster defensively and Mukhamadullin projects as a player you can use in all situations.

I agree with you entirely on RW. You'd have a tough time convincing me that any team in the NHL has a stronger prospect pool at RW than the New Jersey Devils. Two kids with top-line talent and really varied skill sets in Holtz and Mercer, followed by tremendous depth with Anderson, Thompson, Clarke, Gritsyuk, Bastian, Merkley and Moynihan.

Reactions: MartyOwns

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So this scale... is it compared to NHL players RIGHT NOW? Or compared to NHL players when they were the age of the prospects? Or does skating usually not really change much better by the time they're drafted?

Depends on the player. But I'm far from perfect so my grade normally incorporates "skating now" and "skating upside". For instance, a kid like Jan Mysak is in the 50-55 range now, but he has great top-end speed but problems with acceleration due to a clunky first few steps. I have no doubt that NHL coaching will clean this up, so I have no problem thinking of him as a high 55.

Reactions: Nubmer6

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think there’s an obvious emphasis on pro readiness this year, at least at the top of the draft, and the Baumgartner pick.

Outside of Shak who’s under contract for a couple more years, I think you may see four guys or five players we drafted on the NHL or AHL roster starting next year. Holtz the obvious one to be in NJ. Mercer and Pytlik are early birthdays who could play AHL as early as next year. Daws and Baumgartner being overagers should also play soon.

There’s been a developmental philosophy shift within the organization these past few years. I think the brass wants to get their hands on these kids early, and groom them how they want in the AHL. The last couple years has to be the youngest I ever remember our AHL affiliate being.

They want to put the rebuild in overdrive.

Personally, I'd rather see Holtz develop in the SHL for another year. Though a tremendous talent who has no glaring weakness, we're not talking about a Lundell or Rossi who plays a polished and nearly flawless game.

Mercer certainly needs another year in the QMJHL. Mukhamadullin we might not see until 2023 or 2024. Pytlik I agree is a guy we can see in the AHL sooner rather than later. He was a terrific pick in the 4th round.

Reactions: GeNeXt and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for all your work before, during, and after the draft yet again @StevenToddIves

Mixed bag draft for sure but hopefully #20 proves us wrong, it was just too out of left field to feel right

I think the selections were tinged by need over BPA but I wish our new kids all the best

I agree. There are those who will disagree with us, but I am convinced that the Devils thought a bit too much about "filling organizational holes" and not enough about grabbing top talent. My main criticism of the draft is that -- if Drysdale or Sanderson falls to #7, I think every pick except Mercer, Daws and Pytlik is different. But this is subjective, and again it was ultimately a good draft. The Devils now have the best RW prospect pool in the entire NHL, and if you consider Ty Smith a LD they might have the best at that position, too. Daws could solve the prospect dearth in net, and Pytlik could be a bottom 6 force up the middle for many years. So, I'm optimistic.

Reactions: My3Sons and mtnet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad