Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Canada will play for gold at the Hlinka after Perfetti gets both regulation goals then another 3 (!) in the shootout to eliminate Sweden 3-2.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I hate that I can’t watch this tournament. What the hell else could NHLN be showing that’s more important than the only actual hockey that’s being played in the world right now?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Not a '20 draft topic really but I'm putting it here anyway:

Bergevin's draft list pieced together:
Marc Bergevin's Actual 2019 Draft List

Kinda interesting, looks like it has Soderstrom 20th.

Even if that's not his list (the posters who figured it out were just guessing)
The associated video is pretty cool, there's even a moment where he's shown deciding to keep the pick after an offer.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Catching up on U18’s.

This is going to shock some. But I don’t love Byfield as much as you might think given my strong opinions about Tkachuk his draft year. Does he still have potential to be a top 5 guy? Yes. I just don’t love him as high as 2. I’m also not sold (and this reminds me of my “meh” opinion of Getzlaf his draft year as I was awestruck by Sjostrom’s amazing skating in Calgary) on Byfield as a C due to what I perceive to be not 1C playmaking ability. I wonder if he’s better suited as a power winger rather than a C. Even then I don’t see much more than 20G’s.

A guy I like and think has 1C playmaking ability is Lapierre. Glad AZ is loading up Quebec league scouts.

Perfetti has magic hands. Will also be part of top 5 discussion.

rt

May 13, 2004
Button's preliminary rankings

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-s-l...ate-top-of-first-nhl-draft-rankings-1.1363362

My biggest takeaway was Byfield at 6. Just can't see a big (and growing) offensive centre like that from arguably the best developmental league in the world going at 6.
I’m most surprised with Lundell at 9th. I’d be tempted to take him 2nd. Rossi at 14th seems like great value, too.

I would say Zary strikes me as a Chayka pick but of the 32 selections we’ve made under Chayka, I believe Steenbergen is the 1 and only WHL selection. Also, he’s a September birthday. He’ll be 18 two weeks from today. Traditionally not a Chayka hallmark.

I really liked Zary at the U18s, though. Hard worker, hard player, full 200ft, doesn’t take shifts off, makes a difference and is involved in plays.

It’s already been decided though. Chayka is picking Ryan O’Rourke. Haha.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Button's preliminary rankings

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-s-l...ate-top-of-first-nhl-draft-rankings-1.1363362

My biggest takeaway was Byfield at 6. Just can't see a big (and growing) offensive centre like that from arguably the best developmental league in the world going at 6.
Byfield is raw. I love his potential as a power forward but where I get concerned is I’m not sure he has the playmaking IQ to be a 1C. I have him closer to 6 on my list than I do 2 at this point.

Lapierre at 2 stood out to me. That matches what I saw at U18’s. I have no concerns that he has playmaking ability to be a 1C.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Chayka puts a ton of emphasis on the interview process which is sort a 'hidden' stat line for most of these guys. You can only guess if they fit the profile.

If the Coyotes finish out of the lottery then I wouldn't be surprised if he makes what is considered to be by most analysts a big reach on a guy.

rt

May 13, 2004
How did Jake Sanderson and Tyler Kleven end up -22 and -23 respectively for the US team in the USHL when Cam York and was a +40 and Marshall Warren and Henry Thrun were +29 and +28 respectively, on the same team in the same league?

Sanderson and Kleven are projected to be mid-to-late first round picks right now.

rt

May 13, 2004
Chayka puts a ton of emphasis on the interview process which is sort a 'hidden' stat line for most of these guys. You can only guess if they fit the profile.

If the Coyotes finish out of the lottery then I wouldn't be surprised if he makes what is considered to be by most analysts a big reach on a guy.
I think you can dig out some of these details if you look hard enough. Pre-draft stuff about Soderstrom and Hayton really had a bunch of nuggets about how eager they are to learn, how hard they work, how obsessed they are with hockey and self-improvement, quotes from coaches about work-ethic and coachability.

I think you can also rule guys out. Guys like Zadina who had some criticisms in this regard. Guys who are noted as needing to improve off-ice dedication and conditioning, etc. Hayton and Soderstrom were noted for all of the kinds of things that Chayka looks for. I think you can pick that out about certain guys. Earlier, I half sarcastically cited a bunch of stuff I found about Ryan O'Rourke, as an example. He's probably on the radar. Noel Gunler, on the other hand, is likely not going to be an option because of some pretty colorful character issues.

Also, I guess we can just forget about the WHL. Steenbergen is the one and only WHL pick in Chayka's tenure, if I'm not mistaken. In the first round Chayka has picked Keller from the USNTDP, Chychrun from the OHL, POJ from the Q, Hayton from the OHL, and Soderstrom from the SHL. We obviously value C and D over W and have a preference for RHS when we can get it (maybe as a slight tie-breaker).

I think we could make a Chayka flow-chart that helps us figure out likely picks. Are you a winger? Yes - Do not drat. No-Continue. Are you in the WHL? Yes-Do not draft. No-Continue. Do you have character concerns? Yes-Do not draft. No-Continue. Are you an overager? Yes-Do not draft. No-Continue. Do scouting reports routinely specify coachability, dedication and work-ethic? No-Do not draft. Yes-Continue.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think it's just been a rough couple years for the WHL, save for the top end of last year's draft. There are some decent first rounders from the WHL in the coming draft, maybe around where we're picking, but the high-end talent isn't there. Maybe a Connor Zary (centre, Kamloops) or Kaiden Guhle (D, Prince Albert) could fall into our laps if we're drafting around the 20 spot.

Edit: We've had 2 WHL picks under Chayka. Steenbergen and Tendeck.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How did Jake Sanderson and Tyler Kleven end up -22 and -23 respectively for the US team in the USHL when Cam York and was a +40 and Marshall Warren and Henry Thrun were +29 and +28 respectively, on the same team in the same league?

Sanderson and Kleven are projected to be mid-to-late first round picks right now.

Quality of competition relative to quality of their own forwards? I assume York and Warren were the top pair.

York 65 points in 63gp
Warren 34 in 58gp
Thrun 37 in 64gp

Sanderson 24 in 44gp
Kleven 8 in 52gp

If Sanderson is anything like his dad, that'd be cool.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Broke down this year and bought season tickets to the WHL. Will likely impact my OHL viewing.

rt

May 13, 2004
Quality of competition relative to quality of their own forwards? I assume York and Warren were the top pair.

York 65 points in 63gp
Warren 34 in 58gp
Thrun 37 in 64gp

Sanderson 24 in 44gp
Kleven 8 in 52gp

If Sanderson is anything like his dad, that'd be cool.
Always thought Geoff was very underrated.

rt

May 13, 2004
I always get so excited for guys who demonstrate flashy skills. But we never draft them. Haha. I really like Antonio Stranges and Jeremie Poirier but I’m sure they won’t be on our radar. I liked Quinn Hughes and Zadina but we went with Hayton. We always go with “solid” skills rather than flashy ones.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I always get so excited for guys who demonstrate flashy skills. But we never draft them. Haha. I really like Antonio Stranges and Jeremie Poirier but I’m sure they won’t be on our radar. I liked Quinn Hughes and Zadina but we went with Hayton. We always go with “solid” skills rather than flashy ones.

That's the funny thing, our 1st rounders seem to be the more "well rounded" players - ala Hayton, Soderstrom etc...but we in the last 2 years have picked some kids with skill past the 1st round like Maccelli, Daryin, Savunov, Kirk, etc...which is extremely nice to see.

It just happens that we have played it more safe with the 1st rounders. I just keep saying to myself that maybe Chayka knows what he's doing, I'm really hoping he does.

rt

May 13, 2004
That's the funny thing, our 1st rounders seem to be the more "well rounded" players - ala Hayton, Soderstrom etc...but we in the last 2 years have picked some kids with skill past the 1st round like Maccelli, Daryin, Savunov, Kirk, etc...which is extremely nice to see.

It just happens that we have played it more safe with the 1st rounders. I just keep saying to myself that maybe Chayka knows what he's doing, I'm really hoping he does.
I have to guess that Chayka has a huge amount of influence on the first 15-30 guys on our list, and beyond that he trusts his scouts. He’s only one guy and he can’t spend all of his time scouting amateurs. He’s got to watch a ton of pro games. And also all of the work not involving watching games. A guy like Bahl who we had rated 20th maybe he had some influence on. But I can’t believe that he has big influence on the kinds of picks you cited.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like London more so because it breeds success. Eight first rounders in the last five years. That's just crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad