Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Now the main reason why I started this thread in August: Does anyone know what the United States TV schedule is for the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup? I just scrolled through NHL Network on my Cox guide through Sunday and I don't see anything. What gives? Is this not being televised in the States this year?

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated. I'm going to be pretty ticked off if I can't watch this tournament because the NHLN is too busy replaying condensed versions of completely random first round playoff games from the playoffs that just happened.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Find the biggest hockey nerd rated in the first round that isn't spectacular in any particular way beyond being an amazing kid and that's Chayka's guy.

rt

May 13, 2004
Find the biggest hockey nerd rated in the first round that isn't spectacular in any particular way beyond being an amazing kid and that's Chayka's guy.
Meet Tyler Kleven:
43_Tyler_Kleven_medium.jpg

QWrDNargptbL1Xn89

rt

May 13, 2004
Ryan O’Rourke won rookie of the year playing with Barrett Hayton in Sault Ste. Marie.

Gets bonus points for Corey Pronman using a Chayka-ism in describing his play in The Athletic, "He’s not a player who is going to wow you, but O’Rourke is very smart, mobile and tough to play against. The offensive upside is my biggest question heading into the NHL, but he checks off all the other boxes.”

He’s also a May birthday so he didn’t turn 17 until after the season was over.

His head coach is basically teetering on “premium person” territory here, “Part of the reason for his success is his maturity. He’s not your average 16-year-old,” said Hounds head coach John Dean.

“That approach to the game brings a smile to the face of Dean, who likes how his rookie defenceman “can be coached hard and challenged. I can get right in his grill and he responds very well to it.”
The Hounds bench boss also spoke of how manning the blue-line as a first-year player is the most difficult test for OHL skaters.
But O’Rourke is driven.
“He wants to be really good,” Dean said.”

Chayka’s pants are getting tighter...

“He blocks shots, he’s physical, he has a good shot, he sticks up for his teammates and he has a creative flair,” Dean noted. “He’s surpassed my expectations.”

Oh boy. Hopefully Chayka can resist the temptation of trading up to fifth overall for the kid.

Reactions: ck26 and Grimes

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We could probably use a tough/smart D with a good shot tbh. Could we use one in 5 years? Probably.

Corey Pronman

He's basically the Chayka of print opinions. Our prospects tend to be higher up in his lists than others.

rt

May 13, 2004
We could probably use a tough/smart D with a good shot tbh. Could we use one in 5 years? Probably.

He's basically the Chayka of print opinions. Our prospects tend to be higher up in his lists than others.
Also his brother is already a midget scout for the Oshawa Generals. Their dad played in the OHL, too. ETHAN O’ROURKE – Oshawa Generals

This has Chayka all over it! Haha.

But yes. In all seriousness, with Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Demers and Oesterle all hitting UFA at the summer after next, drafting another D does make some sense. Especially with POJ having been traded. Soderstrom helps, but that mainly brings us back to even in terms of D.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Daniil Chayka on Guelph Storm

Also a fan of O'Rourke, watched him a bunch in minor midget, hell of a shot and good two way D, plays a smart game. I'd take Drysdale over him though

Stranges, perfetti and foudy are all guys I'd look to first though.
Stranges- has amazing hands and vision. Very difficult for defenders to contain. Has a Nylander style game
Perfetti- is very smart and has a great shot, could stand to work on his speed but lots of top 6 potential. Can't think of a good comparable off the top of my head
Foudy- has incredible speed (like his brother) and is able to control the puck very well while at that speed. Kind of a McDavid lite style

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Daniil Chayka is 2021.

Don't know who we're picking yet by Rossi at 20 in that mock draft is kind of laughable. He's not going that low.

Reactions: tucknroll

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Cole Perfetti is just destroying the Hlinka.

Maybe this year's Caufield, though he's about 2 inches taller.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Evan Vierling is a player I'd love to steal if playing in flint destroys his stock, best on his minor midget team (played with Byfield)
Will Cuylle in the spitfire is a powerforward that plays with Foudy and is a net front player that is great in the corners and uses his size well. Very good finisher.
Lleyton Moore is small but a very offensive d. Insanely smart and a great skater. Saw a bunch of people who had him above Drysdale going into the OHL draft (not me personally).
Logan Morrison is a personal favourite, this kid is small also but he does everything well and finished the year playing with kaliyev in Hamilton, he also carried his Guelph minor midget team. Huge fan of how he's able to carry a line, set teammates up, find open ice or finish a play himself and hoping he can show that again next year.

Some honourable mentions of other players I liked
Cameron Butler
Rory Kerins
Tyler Tullio
James Hardie
Cameron tolnia
Theo hill- tons of skill, very inconsistent
Stephen Halliday (USHL)
Jacob murray
Owen power- is a 2021 draft eligible who should be one of the top D available.

I have not gone through any birthdays (other than Owen who I know is 2021) there might be a a few 2021 guys, but these are just some of the guys I liked in minor midget and who have adapted well to their first years out of AAA.
Rossi and Jacob Perreault are players I need to see more to have an opinion on.
Also sorry if some of this makes no sense or is spelt poorly, was doing this on my phone and for some reason kept bugging out and was difficult to type.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->