Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
FWIW, here's THN's comparisons for their top 10 guys:

Lafreniere - Huberdeau
Byfield - Kopitar
Stutzle - Patrick Kane
Raymond - Marner
Drysdale - Heiskanen
Rossi - Hischier
Perfetti - Marner
Holtz - Filip Forsberg
Lundell - Mikko Koivu
Askarov - Price

Some interesting comparisons, some lazy (Price, Marner). It's too easy to say every smaller good scorer is Marner. I think Drysdale's absolute, tip-top ceiling is Scott Niedermayer. Perfetti is thicker than Marner and has a little more versatility. Better hockey IQ too. I don't see Hischier in Rossi stylistically.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think Lafreniere is more like Huberdeau meets Jamie Benn. Someone rougher and has more of a power element.

I don’t see Kopitar AT ALL for Byfield. Kopitar is so cerebral and is a Selke caliber, elite defensive forward. Kopitar is a quintessentially elite NHL center who excels at all those cater things that you want. Like a Backstrom. That’s not Byfield from what I’ve seen and read. He reminds me more of Taylor Hall as a junior player, honestly. Maybe a 6’4 Matt Duchene?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’d trade down to 2 and pick something up if u were dead set on Byfield. Laperierre looked great playing with Hayton at the Worlds. He would be very hard to pass on. I’m not sold Byfield is a 1C myself. He could “just” be a very good 2C. Not a great year to not have my OHL package.
What do you think Laperierre's upside is?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
But why not pick up the extra asset as long as you have the assurance that Laf is going 1?
As soon as I ask the other team about trading down, they know I don't want Lafreniere. They won't pay me much more than nothing. I'd probably rather give my future 1C the pride of being 1 OA than collect the compensation for moving down one slot.
Pick Lafreniere, sign Hall, and trade Keller and Schmaltz for a center. Hall and Lafreniere are much better wingers than Keller and Schmaltz.
Trading Keller and Schmaltz for a center is going to be a trade that we lose. It's much easier said than done.

Reactions: Mosby

rt

May 13, 2004
As soon as I ask the other team about trading down, they know I don't want Lafreniere. They won't pay me much more than nothing. I'd probably rather give my future 1C the pride of being 1 OA than collect the compensation for moving down one slot.

Trading Keller and Schmaltz for a center is going to be a trade that we lose. It's much easier said than done.
I’d rather have Lafreniere and BSchenn then Keller and Byfield.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The most common comparison is Huberdeau in Florida who is a very good player but I’m hesitant to label him as a superstar.
Man, if Huberdeau is not a super star, he is damn close. If that is the comparison, I'm all in.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
My other question would be what player would have to be there at #41 to where we absolutely would not entertain a trade down?

On draftsite, I think they have Brendan Brisson at #41, and I have him much higher than that (#22 on my board). If he is there at #41, I don't risk the trade down, because I don't think we get that opportunity to take that player in any other scenario outside of initiating a trade up.

JJ Peterka might be another that I would honestly not entertain a trade back if he fell to us at 41. Noel Gunler? Maybe a hard pass, just because he seems rather one-dimensional, but if we take a chance on a one-dimensional shooter, I would rather do it at #41, as opposed to when the talk surrounded Wahlstrom in the first round.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
For me, if Gunler is there you take him, no questions asked
so far through my shift videos I think Jarvis would be a steal, Greig is a player I like a lot, Foerster is a great pick as well I believe.
I have more but top of my head those are who I really hope is available

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just reading Wheelers top 100 draft prospects on the Athletic And I’m struck by how short this draft class is. Tons of guys below 6’. In fact I could have said 5’10”. It’s crazy.

rt

May 13, 2004
Just reading Wheelers top 100 draft prospects on the Athletic And I’m struck by how short this draft class is. Tons of guys below 6’. In fact I could have said 5’10”. It’s crazy.
Maybe a goofy question, but isn't there an event (maybe it's the U18s) were Central Scouting (or whoever) remeasures these kids? Could it be because of the pandemic, we're seeing measurements from last summer? I know there are a couple of kids who I question the stats. Ozzy Weisblatt is one. Does NOT look 5'10 on the ice. Looks 6'0.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
For me, if Gunler is there you take him, no questions asked
so far through my shift videos I think Jarvis would be a steal, Greig is a player I like a lot, Foerster is a great pick as well I believe.
I have more but top of my head those are who I really hope is available

Yeah, I was thinking hard pass, but very close.

Maybe I am portending that being a pure sniper is not necessarily Chayka's m.o. in a pick, either. Seems like our GM would prefer to wait until the 4th round or later to see if he can pick up the next Garland or Maccelli out of the group. Seems like he is looking for well-rounded players in the first 2-3 rounds. But again, I really don't know, and frankly, we also can't put it past him to move up by trading #41 and Stepan or 41 and another player to move up, if there is a particular player that he falls in love with, which we have also seen Chayka do. I think there are too many good enough players that it will be too hard to move around and pick one, but instead try and grab two players by moving back.

But, I don't know everything that can happen, especially with regard to Hall. If we somehow look competent in the playoffs, maybe we have a whole different outlook on Hall re-signing and the corresponding moves that we have to make will trickle down to the draft.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Maybe a goofy question, but isn't there an event (maybe it's the U18s) were Central Scouting (or whoever) remeasures these kids? Could it be because of the pandemic, we're seeing measurements from last summer? I know there are a couple of kids who I question the stats. Ozzy Weisblatt is one. Does NOT look 5'10 on the ice. Looks 6'0.
Have you not read the study that clearly demonstrates that the pandemic has literally shrunk hockey prospects?

British yote

May 16, 2014
England
Josh Doan is eligible for this draft. How would everyone feeling about taking him with our 7th as reach of good will to captain coyote himself? He may not becoming anything but how often do 7th rounders turn out anyway.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Josh Doan is eligible for this draft. How would everyone feeling about taking him with our 7th as reach of good will to captain coyote himself? He may not becoming anything but how often do 7th rounders turn out anyway.

I don't think he'll be drafted. Better to look for the next Pavel Datsuk. Lil Doaner can come over to prospect camp when he's playing at ASU and maybe we'll discover he's a hidden gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad