Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Okay..... y'all got the draft lottery conditions straight now????

If you do..... explain it to me because it's confusing as hell. Other than we're probably getting screwed again... even if we still had our first pick. :laugh:
They decide 8-15 based on points percentage of the losers of the playins. Same draft odds as previous.

the draft lottery before we have playin results so they are using placeholders.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
2020 NHL Draft Lottery procedure

What the f***? What does this even mean?

Detroit Red Wings -- (.275) 18.5 percent chance for No. 1 pick
Ottawa Senators -- (.437) 13.5 percent
Ottawa Senators (from San Jose Sharks, .450) -- 11.5 percent
Los Angeles Kings -- (.457) 9.5 percent
Anaheim Ducks -- (.472) 8.5 percent
New Jersey Devils -- (.493) 7.5 percent
Buffalo Sabres -- (.493) 6.5 percent
Qualifying Round Team A -- 6.0 percent
Qualifying Round Team B -- 5.0 percent
Qualifying Round Team C -- 3.5 percent
Qualifying Round Team D -- 3.0 percent
Qualifying Round Team E -- 2.5 percent
Qualifying Round Team F -- 2.0 percent
Qualifying Round Team G -- 1.5 percent
Qualifying Round Team H -- 1.0 percent

rt

May 13, 2004
If a team not in the bottom seven wins any of the first three drawings, a Second Phase will be conducted among the eight teams eliminated in the Qualifying Round. That would take place between the end of the Qualifying Round and the first round of the playoffs.

^ what does that mean?

Lets say lottery #1 goes like this

1st Overall: QRT A
2nd Overall: Detroit
3rd Overall: QRT F

What the hell happens in lottery #2? What even are the picks being lotteried?

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
If a team not in the bottom seven wins any of the first three drawings, a Second Phase will be conducted among the eight teams eliminated in the Qualifying Round. That would take place between the end of the Qualifying Round and the first round of the playoffs.

^ what does that mean?

Had the same question.. why the need for different phases of lottery anyways?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Had the same question.. why the need for different phases of lottery anyways?
In theory you could have Montreal who are going into a series with Pittsburgh knowing that if they lose they will finish as Team A and if Team A had already won the lottery the management could do things such as sit Carey Price knowing that if they lose the series they get Lafrenniere.

rt

May 13, 2004

Does that mean QRTs are re-seeded and two more drawings are helped for picks #1 and #2? But what happens to New Jersey and Los Angeles and Ottawa? These teams don’t get to participate in the second lottery where picks #1 and #3 are determined? These suddenly MUST go to QRT losers?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think it'd have been better to have only the 7 non-playoff teams in the lottery and simply adjust the odds.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think it'd have been better to have only the 7 non-playoff teams in the lottery and simply adjust the odds.
I don’t know. If I’m a playin team seeded and I get my ass kicked in my series that I’m expected to lose and I’m an organization looking to make large Scale changes then having a shot at a lottery pick is the best path forward to get out of the mushy middle. Why should i be denied because i get my ass kicked In a series I’m
expected to lose anyways?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
In theory you could have Montreal who are going into a series with Pittsburgh knowing that if they lose they will finish as Team A and if Team A had already won the lottery the management could do things such as sit Carey Price knowing that if they lose the series they get Lafrenniere.

My simple solution to that problem is to do the lottery and announce the winners after the play-in round is done but I guess that's not an option haha.

But what you say is true and I see how that team in the lowest points % spot has a really big advantage knowing that they COULD be that team if they choose to be if the lottery goes to that position.

rt

May 13, 2004
Why not simply wait until the play-in round is over? Have one lottery instead of two. Seems to solve all the problems instantly. Why the rush to do some idiotic half-lottery before play-in round even starts?

I hope that "A Qualifying Round Team to be determined at a later date" wins all three drawings in the 1st lottery. So the NHL has to deal with the humiliation of a completely pointless TV broadcast with absolutely no result whatsoever. Then I hope that the top seeded QRTs to be upset end up winning the top three draft spots at the 2nd lottery. 1-Pittsburgh 2-Toronto 3-Edmonton - suck on that NHL!!!

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I have to assume it'll just remain hidden which play-in loser slot won a lottery draw if that were to happen. It makes no sense to reveal it, although only the bottom team in the play-ins would have fate in their own hands, technically. They employ an actuarial firm or something of that ilk to oversee this stuff, so presumably they'd be privy to which slot or slots won and would keep it up wraps, just that it'd be over a longer term than the hour or so before the draft lottery TV show occurs. Honestly, this all just comes across as greedy for a TV audience to watch this and the league cannot bear to wait for the play-ins to be over to do it cleanly.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
My best guess is that once the "play-in rounds" occur, it gets settled from there.

As an example, let's say that the Coyotes beat Nashville, but every other seed 8 and above, wins their play in match. Because Nashville had the best record of the additional teams, they would be team H. Whereas if Nashville won, the Coyotes would be team E or F?

Am I saying that idea right? What I think may happen is that they run the results on June 26th, and all that will be said is that a team which is in the playoffs will be getting the pick, but they won't reveal which letter it is.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My best guess is that once the "play-in rounds" occur, it gets settled from there.

As an example, let's say that the Coyotes beat Nashville, but every other seed 8 and above, wins their play in match. Because Nashville had the best record of the additional teams, they would be team H. Whereas if Nashville won, the Coyotes would be team E or F?

Am I saying that idea right? What I think may happen is that they run the results on June 26th, and all that will be said is that a team which is in the playoffs will be getting the pick, but they won't reveal which letter it is.
Coyotes are Team C if they lose and both Habs and Hawks lose.

They become team A if Habs and Hawks both win and Coyotes lose.

They become team B of only 1 of those 2 teams win and Coyotes lose.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

^ what does that mean?

I don't think that you include the letters. The sole reason is for team A. As the last team in the QRT, it would make sense for them to tank and know that they have the #1 OA pick.

I think that they run the order, and if a QRT does make it in, they just don't reveal the letter. What will make it interesting is if QRT teams all made the top 3. Do lower seeded teams lose on purpose, because at that point, they kind of know that they are in a little more control, as it is more likely that teams A, B, or C would have to be the favorites for those top 3 spots?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Coyotes are Team C if they lose and both Habs and Hawks lose.

They become team A if Habs and Hawks both win and Coyotes lose.

They become team B of only 1 of those 2 teams win and Coyotes lose.

Sorry, I thought we were closer to being team D or E than C. If we find out that QRT take up all three slots in the lottery, I would prefer losing in the opening round and playing the odds that C is one of those teams.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

rt

May 13, 2004
Sorry, I thought we were closer to being team D or E than C. If we find out that QRT take up all three slots in the lottery, I would prefer losing in the opening round and playing the odds that C is one of those teams.
Reading this post absolutely highlights what a f***ing circus the NHL is. Pretend you can erase the last 48hrs from your mind, and re-read this with fresh eyes, and no context. This lottery system is literally the dumbest f***ing shit anyone has ever come up with.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This whole thing is so chaotic. Scrambling to try and figure out any way to have a playoffs messes with the draft, with free agency and the next season. It makes more sense to cancel the season and plan on how to re-start a brand new season in the fall.

I guess I will cheer for the Coyotes to compete well but lose the play in round then win the lottery then figure out how to dump a few salaries so they can sign Hall and/or another impact free agent.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think Weisblatt goes in the first 20-25 picks. I might have him top 15.

Maybe this is why Chayka seemed okay with moving the first round pick. I have seen Weisblatt talked about as maybe a back-end 1st rounder, but more than likely a 2nd rounder. I think that this draft is both top heavy through about 4 or 5 picks. Then, you get a bigger tier of about 5-14 picks that are all in a similar grouping. Once you get to 20 or 25, about 60 different players could show up in the next 15 players on any team's draft board. Maybe the expectation was that if we were picking in the 20s by going on a run with Hall, we probably were still going to get a player of close pedigree in the 2nd

Reactions: hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maybe this is why Chayka seemed okay with moving the first round pick. I have seen Weisblatt talked about as maybe a back-end 1st rounder, but more than likely a 2nd rounder. I think that this draft is both top heavy through about 4 or 5 picks. Then, you get a bigger tier of about 5-14 picks that are all in a similar grouping. Once you get to 20 or 25, about 60 different players could show up in the next 15 players on any team's draft board. Maybe the expectation was that if we were picking in the 20s by going on a run with Hall, we probably were still going to get a player of close pedigree in the 2nd
It’s a winger heavy draft early on as well.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It’s a winger heavy draft early on as well.

Yes, once the top 2 are gone, I don't think there are quite many dynamic centers left for the 1st round.

What about this - trade 41 and 134 for 52 and 53 from Ottawa. Trade back from #53 with Montreal for #61 and #91:

#52: C Zayde Wisdom
#60: D Joni Jurmo, Daemon Hunt, or Luke Prokop
#91: C Dylan Peterson, Jack Finley, or another bigger C type

Reactions: hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes, once the top 2 are gone, I don't think there are quite many dynamic centers left for the 1st round.

What about this - trade 41 and 134 for 52 and 53 from Ottawa. Trade back from #53 with Montreal for #61 and #91:

#52: C Zayde Wisdom
#60: D Joni Jurmo, Daemon Hunt, or Luke Prokop
#91: C Dylan Peterson, Jack Finley, or another bigger C type
This is the sort of thing that Chayka routinely does all the time. 52&53 for 41 is a big price for 41 though. I’d have to check the draft pick evaluation tool that’s out there to see how much of a premium that would be.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This is the sort of thing that Chayka routinely does all the time. 52&53 for 41 is a big price for 41 though. I’d have to check the draft pick evaluation tool that’s out there to see how much of a premium that would be.

Yeah, as soon as I wrote that, I was having second thoughts about the value. Is this where we see us trading a player as well for some cap room to work with? Ottawa also has another pick at 64, so maybe 52 and 64 for 41 and 134 instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad