2020 NHL Entry Draft - Never too early....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
As for 16, Seth Jarvis is my guy if he’s there. I don’t think he will be. If he’s not there, I like Noel Gunler and Rodion Amirov.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I’m almost positive that that’s not true. Per NHL.com: The odds for each losing team in the Qualifying Round for the first drawing of the Second Phase, determined by inverse order of regular-season point percentage:

Draft Position
Team A
Team B
Team C
Team D
Team E
Team F
Team G
Team H
Odds
24.5%
20.4%
14.3%
12.2%
10.2%
8.2%
6.1%
4.1%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So if we lose against Edmonton and one of the play-in loser picks lands in the top-3, we have the 2nd best odds of getting that pick at 20.4%.

2020 NHL Draft Lottery procedure
"The odds for each losing team in the Qualifying Round for the first drawing of the Second Phase are 12.5 percent"

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The article I was looking at on NHL.com said nothing about that. How the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery Works

If the article you posted is correct, that’s the biggest load of shit. Really stupid system if true.

The article you looked at came from the Kings NHL page.

The one i posted actually comes from NHL.com.

All in all, who really knows how this stupid lottery format works. It seems like a lot of people are confused on it.

The NHL should have just waited until the play in series were complete and then have all 15 teams in the lottery as usual. It makes no sense why they are doing it the way they are doing it.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
The article you looked at came from the Kings NHL page.

The one i posted actually comes from NHL.com.

All in all, who really knows how this stupid lottery format works. It seems like a lot of people are confused on it.

The NHL should have just waited until the play in series were complete and then have all 15 teams in the lottery as usual. It makes no sense why they are doing it the way they are doing it.

It makes zero sense that a team like Toronto or Pittsburgh, who were playoff teams at the time the season was stopped, should have the same odds (if they lose the play-in series) as teams like us who were clearly not making the playoffs. f*** it, let’s win the Covid Cup.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It makes zero sense that a team like Toronto or Pittsburgh, who were playoff teams at the time the season was stopped, should have the same odds (if they lose the play-in series) as teams like us who were clearly not making the playoffs. f*** it, let’s win the Covid Cup.

Makes as much sense as as a team who is 2nd in their division also possibly getting a chance at a top 3 pick.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The crazy thing is, whether NYR wins or loses their play-in series, they get a chance at a top-3 pick.

Depends on what happens on the 26th. If the bottom 7 teams get all 3 picks, then the lottery is finished and nobody in these play in series would have a chance at a top 3 pick.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Depends on what happens on the 26th. If the bottom 7 teams get all 3 picks, then the lottery is finished and nobody in these play in series would have a chance at a top 3 pick.

That’s true. If a play-in loser gets one of the top-3 picks, NYR gets a chance at that pick no matter if they win or lose.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

“We want to gain new fans with the lottery. Let’s confuse the f*** out of them in the process.”

-NHL

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
“We want to gain new fans with the lottery. Let’s confuse the f*** out of them in the process.”

-NHL

Yeah I have no idea WTF they’re trying to do or why they’re doing it this way. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
There are two main reasons for doing the lottery this way. #1 Give teams in the lottery and out of the playoffs some clarity as to where they are picking. and #2 Creates some excitement with an event that will garnish the league some interest. The problem I see is if 2 of the top 3 picks are from the play-in teams might a team tank?

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
There are two main reasons for doing the lottery this way. #1 Give teams in the lottery and out of the playoffs some clarity as to where they are picking. and #2 Creates some excitement with an event that will garnish the league some interest. The problem I see is if 2 of the top 3 picks are from the play-in teams might a team tank?
I think the system is stupid but it’s not because of this. There’s absolutely zero chance you’re getting an nhl lockerroom to buy in to tanking for a draft pick. A decent amount of those guys aren’t even gonna be on the team next year and are playing for contracts and spots elsewhere. They stand to lose a lot of money and in some cases NHL jobs by playing poorly. They also get bonuses for winning playoff rounds.

Reactions: Giovi and d rake

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think the system is stupid but it’s not because of this. There’s absolutely zero chance you’re getting an nhl lockerroom to buy in to tanking for a draft pick. A decent amount of those guys aren’t even gonna be on the team next year and are playing for contracts and spots elsewhere. They stand to lose a lot of money and in some cases NHL jobs by playing poorly. They also get bonuses for winning playoff rounds.
Coach could get orders from the front office to make the team lose. Give stars less minutes, make ineffective line pairings, etc. You don't have to actually tell the players "hey we're tanking".

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Coach could get orders from the front office to make the team lose. Give stars less minutes, make ineffective line pairings, etc. You don't have to actually tell the players "hey we're tanking".
And a bad team that was badly coached may succeed in their thought of what they were doing was trying to lose in that case.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014

If the top pick belongs to a play-in team, Seabrook will be making an early return and playing 25 minutes a night.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If the top pick belongs to a play-in team, Seabrook will be making an early return and playing 25 minutes a night.
Edmonton will just throw out Manning.

Sure, Oilers could potentially due some damage this year, but the thought of AL on McDavid's left is too enticing to pass up on.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton will just throw out Manning.

Sure, Oilers could potentially due some damage this year, but the thought of AL on McDavid's left is too enticing to pass up on.

Colliton counters this by pairing Maatta with Seabrook. He also plays Seeler instead of Boqvist, brings back Smith early, and plays Kampf as his 2C.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
On a side note, it would be pretty funny if this actually happened and coaches were trying to out-tank each other.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

The tanking would never involve the players. It would be through subtle moves by the coach such as player deployment. Wouldn't be hard to make several moves throughout the game to affect the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->