2020 NHL Entry Draft - Never too early....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Is there a scenario where the Hawks can advance to the 16-team bracket and still pick 9? Specifically, if no unassigned pick jumps in the top 3, will it just pre-determine the draft position entirely or would it be Edmonton picking 9 if the Hawks beat them?
No, neither are possible. Edmonton will pick toward the back of the lottery order and the Hawks would pick 16th or 17th if they advance past the qualifying round.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So if the letter A "placheolder" spot wins the #1 pick ain the first draw and the Hawks subsequently lose to Edmonton then that means the #1 belongs to the Hawks....But if say whichever place holder letter would be assigned to Edmonton or to Torontoor to Pittsburgh if they lose their play-in ,well...that would be the Fates being very very cruel.

I would hurl of any of those 3creams got the #2 out of this mess.

Can you imagine Pittsburgh sone 50 points ahead of Detroit sonehow being"rewarded " forgot maki g the playoffs but getting the top pick by sheer luck?

Detroit or or any if the loser bottom 7 would naturally feel cheated...

It would be horror enough if Edmonton or Pittsburgh got that lucky by losing ...but EVEN more so if the Leags somehow managed to get rewarded by losing to the exyentbofcadfibgLafreniere...that would be almost a signal to commit suicide for non'-Leafs fans who all hate the "center of the hockey universe" team so much.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
How many people have tried the NHL draft simulator on draftprospectshockey.com ?

Fun app to try and run your own draft

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Simmed the lottery once and got 1st overall.

Alexis Lafreniere
Carter Savoie
Luke Tuch
Joel Blomqvist
Theo Rochette
Connor McLennon
Mason Langenbrunner

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
9 Cole Perfetti C
56 Vasili Ponomaryov C
71 Jaromir Pytlik C
77 Nico Daws G
102 William Dufour RW
133 Isaak Phillips LD
164 Mason Landenbrunner RD

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
OK guys, who are some of your targets should the Hawks end up picking at #16 should they upset the Oilers? (I don't think the Habs have a snowball's chance in hell against the Pens)

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
OK guys, who are some of your targets should the Hawks end up picking at #16 should they upset the Oilers? (I don't think the Habs have a snowball's chance in hell against the Pens)
Reichel and Amirov are two of my top guys there if either are still on the board.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Marat Khunustdinov at 9. Marat Khusnutdinov at 16. Marat Khusnustdinov at 31.

There's no losing.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So if the letter A "placheolder" spot wins the #1 pick ain the first draw and the Hawks subsequently lose to Edmonton then that means the #1 belongs to the Hawks....But if say whichever place holder letter would be assigned to Edmonton or to Torontoor to Pittsburgh if they lose their play-in ,well...that would be the Fates being very very cruel.

I would hurl of any of those 3creams got the #2 out of this mess.

Can you imagine Pittsburgh sone 50 points ahead of Detroit sonehow being"rewarded " forgot maki g the playoffs but getting the top pick by sheer luck?

Detroit or or any if the loser bottom 7 would naturally feel cheated...

It would be horror enough if Edmonton or Pittsburgh got that lucky by losing ...but EVEN more so if the Leags somehow managed to get rewarded by losing to the exyentbofcadfibgLafreniere...that would be almost a signal to commit suicide for non'-Leafs fans who all hate the "center of the hockey universe" team so much.

No. The placeholder is just a placeholder. There is no assigned team for that placeholder. If a placeholder wins a spot in the top 3, a second lottery with all 8 of the losing play in teams will take place and all of these 8 teams will have an equal chance of getting that one pick.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
No. The placeholder is just a placeholder. There is no assigned team for that placeholder. If a placeholder wins a spot in the top 3, a second lottery with all 8 of the losing play in teams will take place and all of these 8 teams will have an equal chance of getting that one pick.

I’m almost positive that that’s not true. Per NHL.com: The odds for each losing team in the Qualifying Round for the first drawing of the Second Phase, determined by inverse order of regular-season point percentage:

Draft Position
Team A
Team B
Team C
Team D
Team E
Team F
Team G
Team H
Odds
24.5%
20.4%
14.3%
12.2%
10.2%
8.2%
6.1%
4.1%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So if we lose against Edmonton and one of the play-in loser picks lands in the top-3, we have the 2nd best odds of getting that pick at 20.4%.

Reactions: Crow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad