Speculation: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (June 26th-27th, 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:laugh::laugh:
Just be patient, Zboril will be hitting his prime soon :sarcasm:
Okay you got me on that one! I liked Zboril a lot his draft year, one of my many mistakes over the years! I didn’t mind the Stanley pick a few years ago and then last year I advocated for Heinola and was thrilled when we got him. Win some lose some. I enjoy the debates so much and have been on both sides, like I said earlier I wonder if they ever move the draft to 19 years of age as it it’s so hard to assess such important future assets when they’re so young.
As for Helly, love his game and never waivered, but only thing I wish is that he would’ve played lights out like this late last year and going into the playoffs, Jets could be Cup Champions.
But back on topic, am I the only one here that sees pure snipe in Lundells shot? I really think the kid will score more than others think. I see third line as his floor.
Ps to ps - can’t believe you remembered that Chabot debate. That’s awesome!

amazingly my memory works so much better when I am right and I can only surmise it’s because it’s such a rare event.

I loved Puljujarvi in his draft year and can’t believe he missed? It might be that I was swayed way too much by the World Juniors and the U18’s in Grande Forks but I thought he was a lock. I did have Laine ahead of him but I thought JP was going to dominate in the NHL in his prime.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think Lundell has a really good shot and release. I think he's a bit underrated in terms of potential. It won't surprise me at all if he becomes a solid 50 point 2C that can shut down opponents.

if that’s the case you have no idea how much I would love him on the Jets and be thrilled with that result because he is going to be great defensively.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
amazingly my memory works so much better when I am right and I can only surmise it’s because it’s such a rare event.

I loved Puljujarvi in his draft year and can’t believe he missed? It might be that I was swayed way too much by the World Juniors and the U18’s in Grande Forks but I thought he was a lock. I did have Laine ahead of him but I thought JP was going to dominate in the NHL in his prime.

He still could have a decent career. Some organizations are just not good with development. The Oilers for the longest time just threw players into the show without a proper plan.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Funny how we are polar opposites on Lundell and Mercer. I see Lundell on the 3rd line and Mercer on the 2nd line for the same but reasons (opposite guy).

I look forward to seeing if one of us is right or if we are both dump it in the bush. The last time we had this debate I liked Chabot and you liked Zbroil. :nod:

Yes I am cherry picking my only win to stir it up :naughty:!! Throwing you a bone though you have never wavered on Helle as others have been on and off the Bandwagon. I will say you have been the most ardent, stanch, spokesperson for his greatness.....not good......great!

This is how I see it as well. I see a lot of Kyle Turris in Mercer. Similar skater and shot with nice hands. I think Mercer plays a more in your face game and has a bigger frame which should help him put on strength better.

Lundell reminds me of Sami Paulson, elite shut down C.

But much like with Gus he has a chance to be a Backlund type center. I just peg Mercedes chances of being a Terri's type 1B center as better then Lundell's chances of being a Backlund type C. Still I would cheer for Lundell if we select him and hope he hits his ceiling.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is how I see it as well. I see a lot of Kyle Turris in Mercer. Similar skater and shot with nice hands. I think Mercer plays a more in your face game and has a bigger frame which should help him put on strength better.

Lundell reminds me of Sami Paulson, elite shut down C.

But much like with Gus he has a chance to be a Backlund type center. I just peg Mercedes chances of being a Terri's type 1B center as better then Lundell's chances of being a Backlund type C. Still I would cheer for Lundell if we select him and hope he hits his ceiling.

Its going to be fun to see it play out and yea if we draft Lundell I will climb aboard and hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I would say that my two top preferences that might be available at 12 would be Holloway and Sanderson.

I had been aware of this fellow and then this profile on William Wallinder came out recently and I am intrigued. He will be a young 18 year old, 6'4" 194 lb left shooting defenseman who plays the right side. Oh, and he skates! I mean he can really skate.

Anyone else see the potential at 12 or is it way to early?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would say that my two top preferences that might be available at 12 would be Holloway and Sanderson.

I had been aware of this fellow and then this profile on William Wallinder came out recently and I am intrigued. He will be a young 18 year old, 6'4" 194 lb left shooting defenseman who plays the right side. Oh, and he skates! I mean he can really skate.

Anyone else see the potential at 12 or is it way to early?

I think it's too early, but I could see how some teams in that range could fall in love with Wallinder. I think a lot would depend on his attitude and intensity. If he's really driven to succeed, he certainly has the tools to be a real force on D.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
New Tim Stutzle hype reel - thought you guys might enjoy :)

If there's another player you'd like covered let me know

Cool video clip very well done! This kid is going to be a blast to watch in the NHL.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think it's too early, but I could see how some teams in that range could fall in love with Wallinder. I think a lot would depend on his attitude and intensity. If he's really driven to succeed, he certainly has the tools to be a real force on D.

This is going to be a crazy draft it seems like it gets highly unpredictable after the top 7 or 8 skaters. Wallinder has some pretty incredible tools who's to say he isn't going to end up being the top D man in this draft when the smoke clears if he irons out some of his inconsistencies? There are teams that could absolutely fall in love with his upside. Remember last year when Edmonton took Broberg at #8 and I would take Wallinder ahead of Broberg any day.

Buckle up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I really don't feel Wallinder should really be on our radar at 12 unless you believe he is head and shoulders above some of the forwards there which I don't.

Our left D pool is very strong and we need more help elsewhere.

Heinola, Samberg, Chisholm, Stanley is a pretty strong group.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is going to be a crazy draft it seems like it gets highly unpredictable after the top 7 or 8 skaters. Wallinder has some pretty incredible tools who's to say he isn't going to end up being the top D man in this draft when the smoke clears if he irons out some of his inconsistencies? There are teams that could absolutely fall in love with his upside. Remember last year when Edmonton took Broberg at #8 and I would take Wallinder ahead of Broberg any day.

Buckle up.
Yup. McKenzie usually gets a list very close to how it plays out on draft day. Last year, the two players that were picked considerably higher than on his list were a couple of big, mobile European D (Seider and Broberg). I wouldn't be surprised if one or two teams have players like Wallinder, Grans and Jurmo quite high on their lists.

I'm looking forward to seeing McKenzie's list because it will give an up-to-date read on how actual NHL scouts are ranking the first round, especially the top half. A few players of interest are Lundell (will he drop?), Sanderson (how high has he risen?), Quinn (is he really seen as a top 10?), Jarvis (how high has he risen?).

Reactions: DRC and ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup. McKenzie usually gets a list very close to how it plays out on draft day. Last year, the two players that were picked considerably higher than on his list were a couple of big, mobile European D (Seider and Broberg). I wouldn't be surprised if one or two teams have players like Wallinder, Grans and Jurmo quite high on their lists.

I'm looking forward to seeing McKenzie's list because it will give an up-to-date read on how actual NHL scouts are ranking the first round, especially the top half. A few players of interest are Lundell (will he drop?), Sanderson (how high has he risen?), Quinn (is he really seen as a top 10?), Jarvis (how high has he risen?).

All great points.

Any idea when Bob is set to release his final list? They might wait for the draft date announcement?

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All great points.

Any idea when Bob is set to release his final list? They might wait for the draft date announcement?

I think its usually a bit before the draft to help drum up hype so I'd expect it a week or two out from the draft.

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
All great points.

He was on 1290 the other day and said the list is done, but he's not sure when it would be released. Obviously waiting till the draft date is announced.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
I'm becoming a huge fan of Mercer. Dude can stick handle ridiculous, is a pick hound, never gives up on a play, has potential for center, and it sounds like he's a stand-up person. We all know how true north values that

Reactions: surixon

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Man that 2021 draft has got some drool worthy high end D men in it. Owen Power and Brant Clarke are both great young talents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad