2020 NHL Entry Draft 2 - 17th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
mercer, jarvis, guhl, trade up for sanderson, or trade back. i think we are in no mans land if it goes chalk (it never goes chalk).

There will absolutely be a “wtf” pick. German D to Detroit last year, Hayton the year before.

This year especially, there will be a pick or two that probably surprise us.

Gunler is one I think could go much higher than anticipated.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Russian goalie if availabe...(not likely). The system is pretty stocked with D.....focus should be on power forwards, so still thinking the Wisconsin kid or moving back if the right deal presented itself.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
No doubt Jarvis has amazing offensive skills and those 98bpountsxand high ppg look greatvin a shortened covidcseadon..but sone scouting rankkngs drop Jarvisvi tkbtge 20s because they are leery about his defensive gane and lack of physical play...

Dice want that kind of risk on a potentially 1 way only giy ..who padded his stats (with a goid supporting cast in Portland) by cheating a lot up ice (fleeing tge d-zobe early to get cheap 2 ones and break-aways?Yes he finished off thise ..but that kind of cheating will not help the Hawks wknCuos.

Rather prefer Tristen Robins at #17 ....explooded with fine 2nd half after taking over the 1C role and producing a 1.68 ppg pverctge 2ndboart of his season...
A much harder worker tgan Jarvis Nd also plays bigger ...hits Nd goesxtajes pucks awayc makes plays.. not afraid go to the tough areas ...actually an inch taller and 10lbs heavier than Jarvis ...only about 2months older than Jarvis.

Jatvis has been onscoutsxradar mich longer...Robins until he got the featured rolevthis season eventually in Saskatoon ,was just a support botyom 2 libebpkayer before he got his big opportunity (last year Dach was the featured guy in Saskatoon and this year afte trading some vets,Robins got his chance to be the top guyv a and he carried his team after his promotion to 1C...(he had less to work with than the cast surrounding Jarvis in Portland).

Robins is grosdkybunder -rankecvon most listsxabdIvapplaud tge Draft Dynasty guy for pinting hom outcas a potential hidden gem steal and having the courage to rank him17th when most organizations still put hom only in late 2nd or 3rd round..

Will Stan take him...of course not.. Stan/Kelley woukd not dare veer of "consensus" that much..also they think tgey are so smart they can still get himat #46 if they like him Nyway(cause they thonk other will pass on him till late 2nd ...butbof course some NHL team probably is smart enough to say ...well in the 5'10/11 small skill forwatd dept. Picking a guy with skills but without many flaws in his gane over guys like Jarvisvor Bourque who also have great skill but need work on the hard work and defending issues...well to that team it shoukd beca no brainer which kid to take.

Sire ..the ability for guys lke Jarvis or Bourque to get better defensively is there because both are great skaters..but if the mind wants to cheat or quit on plays that potential to improve defensively at a level not to be a liability in the pros is at tge very least a big question now?

It is one ghing to ask kids to work harder on their defensive responsibility...some will...some never do...but what you never see is that if a kid does not engage physically as a junior,he certainly will not do that as a pro.

So these reasons are why ai would take Robins over either Jarvis or
Bourque ...Robins is better 2 ways and could help any line plus he likes taking draws and was 55% ..and versatile to pk too.

I just do mot see a fjaw in his game...except if he were 2-3 inches taller...

But if he were hat size ..he woukd be a top 5 pick.

Of course the Hawks cold avoid the entire "small skilled" forward denate by ibstead gong Big at #17...

Except Holkeau is hardlyv6'3 ...Nd neitherbus Reichel...

No better to pick the smaller skill guy at#17 and go Big at#46...(Daniek Torgesdon if he lasts tonthat pick or William Dufour who probably is there).

Hopefully Hawks get anotgef 2nd rounder early enough fro trying Murphy or Matta...

Maybe get 2 Big forwards in that round? Or 1 big and a goalie?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
yeah cat...basically cat and mitchell and not much of anything since saad in 2011? just not good enough scouting, look at tampa, thats the same core as 2015 but they drafted better and made better pro scouting decisions
They didn’t have a 2nd for the majority of those seasons since.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
They didn’t have a 2nd for the majority of those seasons since.

Only 2 out of 10 years they did not have a 2nd round pick and in one of those years they had the 27th pick which is close to a 2nd used on Beaudin...Since 2010 here are their 2nd round picks...

Ludvig Rensfeldt
Justin Holl
Kent Simpson
Stephen Johns
Adam Clendening
Brandon Saad
Dillon Fournier
Carl Dahlstrom
Graham Knott
Alex DeBrincat
Chad Krys
Artur Kayumov
Ian Mitchell
Alex Vlasic

Given the quantity of picks in that time, they've had some hits in the bolded names but a ton of whiffs...Point I was trying to make was that they've been pretty good with their 1st round picks but their 2nd round picks have been kind of dismal and that needs to change. Their inability to support the core is what led to this team being where it is, specifically the inability to develop defensemen...

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Look at 2010-2013 GP by Chicago draft picks vs 2014-current...Clearly some of the draft classes of late are still developing and people drafted in early part of decade have had a lot more time to accrue GP but there were a couple drafts that were complete busts after 2013...

upload_2020-9-24_13-8-24.png

upload_2020-9-24_13-8-46.png

upload_2020-9-24_13-9-4.png

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Look at 2010-2013 GP by Chicago draft picks vs 2014-current...Clearly some of the draft classes of late are still developing and people drafted in early part of decade have had a lot more time to accrue GP but there were a couple drafts that were complete busts after 2013...

View attachment 368724

View attachment 368725

View attachment 368726
Yep their drafting for a 5 year stretch was abysmal. It killed the momentum of the team and is in large part, the reason why they are in their current position.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Yep their drafting for a 5 year stretch was abysmal. It killed the momentum of the team and is in large part, the reason why they are in their current position.
I would argue what was worse is any young talent we got was dealt.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
After going just 1 assist in his first 6 KHL games this season,Rodion Amirov broke out big today with 2G and 1a to help hos team win a 6-5 game..

Do not know if hiscteam started giving him more minutes but hisc2 goals came on the Po so obviously they started to give him featired time...
After this game it looks like they will be keeping him up in the KHL now and gove hom.more minutes.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I wouldn’t say 2015 is the only bad draft of the last 5 years. 2018 has a real chance to be bad
Why?

Boqvist and Beaudin look good so far. Wise and Nordgren were steals where they were picked...they've just had unfortunate injuries. Kurashev was a steal. Slavin could develop into a reliable 4th liner.

Doesn't seem like a bad draft to me.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I wouldn’t say 2015 is the only bad draft of the last 5 years. 2018 has a real chance to be bad
Totally disagree with the 2018 evaluation. There's a legitimate chance of 3 NHLers coming out of that and Boqvist is ahead of schedule. What more can you ask for in a draft????????????

Reactions: TheDachKnight

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Maybe because I am not high on most of those guys. Boqvist was a good pick for sure. I wasn’t and am still not a fan of Beaudin that put it down the list for me. Thinking about it more, it’s not a bad draft, just didn’t pan out in the third.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
devil's willing to trade 18OA or 20OA

I say trade Saad @ 50% for whichever we can get for him...

Hawks would have 17th +18/20

trade the 17th and a 3rd to move up to get askarov before he goes off the board (probably a like 12/13 pick range?)

then take BPA with the remaining pick or maybe pair something else with the later pick again if theres a player on the board still they love ahead of them

Reactions: TheDachKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad