Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames really trying to fill their defensive prospect cupboard, as long as they're the BPA I am all for it.

Reactions: DirtDiver

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Flames really trying to fill their defensive prospect cupboard, as long as they're the BPA I am all for it.

There aren't too many true BPA left around this range, but I'd rather the scouts try and swing at boom or bust prospects at this stage vs borderline chances of meh. Basically, what they've been doing with Mangiapane, Phillips, Wolf etc.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There aren't too many true BPA left around this range, but I'd rather the scouts try and swing at boom or bust prospects at this stage vs borderline chances of meh. Basically, what they've been doing with Mangiapane, Phillips, Wolf etc.

Mangie, phillips and wolf were well known with flaws

These last two guys nobody heard of.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Mangie, phillips and wolf were well known with flaws

These last two guys nobody heard of.

I feel like I read somewhere about Wolf's story was that he was sitting in the stands not expecting to be drafted and our group saw him so took him as a reward for his dedication? I don't know if that qualifies as well known...

The other two, sure. Mangiapane playing on the same team as Andersson definitely helped though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like I read somewhere about Wolf's story was that he was sitting in the stands not expecting to be drafted and our group saw him so took him as a reward for his dedication? I don't know if that qualifies as well known...

The other two, sure. Mangiapane playing on the same team as Andersson definitely helped though.

I meant they all had very good stats from known leagues.

I remembered people were claiming good picks or steal

Reactions: Fig

baby shark

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
mew england
I think it was a solid inventory stock day, and we needed everything.

Zary potentially a top 6 center/forward

Kuznetsov a graceful tall shutdown defenseman who had solid scoring numbers as a 17 year old college freshman

Poirier an uber skilled defenseman who slid due to defensive reputation, but those that've seen him rave about his raw ability. His metrics were off the charts, he can skate well, has size and is a younger player in his class.

And then there's still the other defenseman, two more intriguing forwards and a gun wielding goalie.

Will be fun to follow this class

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty happy overall. Cupboards were looking a little sparse and Tre and his team have done a real decent job restocking in this draft.

#1 on my wishlist was a C prospect with top 6 upside and I'm quite high on Zary. Don't think he would have been out of place if he was picked in the 10-15 range. The Poirier pick I can't complain about because he was more or less free and he's got some really nice skill.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Villeneuve over Boltmann and it would be a 10/10 for me but I’m overall very satisfied with what Treliving and the scouting staff went with

Hopefully I am proven wrong on Boltmann. Did anyone have a screenshot of the gun picture?

Last edited:

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Good Picks:
1. Zary - we liked him at 19, we got him at 24 + two third rounders.
2. Poirier - high-risk, high-reward pick that fell quite a bit. Can't go wrong with a free lottery ticket.
3. Kerins & Francis - two fallers we got late that are sneaky good.

Average Picks:
1. Kuznetsov - big young Russian D that can skate. There were better D options imo but he wasn't a reach by any means.
2. Solovyov - overage KHL D that I know absolutely nothing about. Last pick though so who cares.

Not bad cause I trust the process but someone internal knows something nobody else knows:
1. Boltmann - projected as a 7th rounder so Flames must've known he was a hidden gem that another team wanted
2. Chechelev - overage unranked Russian goalie nobody had ever heard of until now. MHL stats do look good though. Goalies are impossible anyway.

Reactions: DirtDiver

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Pretty happy overall. Cupboards were looking a little sparse and Tre and his team have done a real decent job restocking in this draft.

#1 on my wishlist was a C prospect with top 6 upside and I'm quite high on Zary. Don't think he would have been out of place if he was picked in the 10-15 range. The Poirier pick I can't complain about because he was more or less free and he's got some really nice skill.

Thats one way to look at it.

Tre drafted a bunch of fallers other teams didnt want, one does have to wonder why.

Plus another all-offense-no-defense-Kylington clone, Russian Keegan Kanzig clone, and a unranked overage goalie

Meh, it is what it is.

Goldenrockets

Jul 7, 2019
Villeneuve over Boltmann and it would be a 10/10 for me but I’m overall very satisfied with what Treliving and the scouting staff went with

Hopefully I am proven wrong on Boltmann. Did anyone have a screenshot of the gun picture?
AFB7ABC5-3978-48DA-9771-85F286189007.png

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Good Picks:
1. Zary - we liked him at 19, we got him at 24 + two third rounders.
2. Poirier - high-risk, high-reward pick that fell quite a bit. Can't go wrong with a free lottery ticket.
3. Kerins & Francis - two fallers we got late that are sneaky good.

Average Picks:
1. Kuznetsov - big young Russian D that can skate. There were better D options imo but he wasn't a reach by any means.
2. Solovyov - overage KHL D that I know absolutely nothing about. Last pick though so who cares.

Not bad cause I trust the process but someone internal knows something nobody else knows:
1. Boltmann - projected as a 7th rounder so Flames must've known he was a hidden gem that another team wanted
2. Chechelev - overage unranked Russian goalie nobody had ever heard of until now. MHL stats do look good though. Goalies are impossible anyway.
Russian goalies are getting known for getting drafted as overages, reading up on him he seems like a good pick. Those numbers are nothing to scoff at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->