Lundell

Seem to be the top 9. Then who? We are likely picking 12-17ish

Askarov?
Sanderson?
Mercer?
Zary?
Gunler?
Schneider?

We could really use a stud D in our system. It’s pretty embarrassing back there. I tend to lean Sanderson if he is actually good.

If there isn’t a good D there then Mercer, Gunler, Zary would be good options.

I used to pay much more attention to all the predraft rankings, but I think Rossi & Perfetti go higher than Holtz & Raymond.
Also think my cutoff would be at 8th as Lundell IMO is not above the others.
Kaiden Guhle & Will Wallinder deserve mention. I do agree that D is a big need, but specifically a heavy mobile Dman IMO, and Guhle/Wallinder fit that bill

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I used to pay much more attention to all the predraft rankings, but I think Rossi & Perfetti go higher than Holtz & Raymond.
Also think my cutoff would be at 8th as Lundell IMO is not above the others.
Kaiden Guhle & Will Wallinder deserve mention. I do agree that D is a big need, but specifically a heavy mobile Dman IMO, and Guhle/Wallinder fit that bill

It’s more of a group of players that I see as kinda consistently the top picks. Not in any order.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Ridley Greig is a dark horse for us at 16.We need more heart and jam.

Dylan Holloway and Dawson Mercer I would look at as well.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
For our first I’d like Mercer, Quinn, Zary, Holloway or Lapierre. Whoever our scouts think will be a high end C. Quinn and Mercer would be nice RHS RW which we need desperately too.

I wonder what our scouts think of Hendrix Lapierre, he was supposed to be one of the best two way centres to come along in a while but was injured all year. Point per game as a 16/17 year old. Craig Button still seems pretty high on him too.

In the second or third I wonder if we can snag that Benning kid from the AJHL. He’s undersized but I’ve heard he’s pretty damn good. Seems like the kinda move we would make.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
For our first I’d like Mercer, Quinn, Zary, Holloway or Lapierre. Whoever our scouts think will be a high end C. Quinn and Mercer would be nice RHS RW which we need desperately too.

I wonder what our scouts think of Hendrix Lapierre, he was supposed to be one of the best two way centres to come along in a while but was injured all year. Point per game as a 16/17 year old. Craig Button still seems pretty high on him too.

In the second or third I wonder if we can snag that Benning kid from the AJHL. He’s undersized but I’ve heard he’s pretty damn good. Seems like the kinda move we would make.

IMO there are a ton of guys more worthy of a pick at 40-50, a whole bunch of Euros which only the scouts will really know about.
I don't even think we have a 3rd, but who knows in the 4th?

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I like Ryan O'Rourke if he falls to the 2nd, he's a young LHD who has 35 points in 50 games, he leads his team in +/-. I think he could be a steal. He's also apparently very physical.

I wish CHL stats was still a thing, I'd be able to go more in depth with prospects.

Ya, I've been looking into him a little lately....A more offensive Sieloff?
I wish we had a 2nd in this draft, lots of D...small offensive & the big guys too.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
More and more I think the Flames should target Hendrix Lapierre. If he truly was being considered a #1C type player, how could we pass him up?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Ya, I've been looking into him a little lately....A more offensive Sieloff?
I wish we had a 2nd in this draft, lots of D...small offensive & the big guys too.

We do have a 2nd, for the first time since 2016 so lets hope we actually use it. I think O'Rourke has far more potential than Sieloff ever did with his most likely scenario being a 3-5 d man.

More and more I think the Flames should target Hendrix Lapierre. If he truly was being considered a #1C type player, how could we pass him up?

He's super risky, he didn't take the next step in the games he did play this year and there is a real possibility with his concussion history at such a young age that he never plays a full season, I do like to swing for the fences though. It could end up worth it if he reaches the potential ascribed to him in his draft-1.

Also to agree with you earlier if Benning makes it to the 2nd round he has to be the pick IMO, he has the exact same regular season production as Cale Makar did in the same league and while he is going the college route hopefully being from St. Albert there would be no issues signing him.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Many posters on here had Sieloff as a guarenteed 4-6 dman. A more skilled Sieloff is a pretty good Dman, and one definitly worth a 2nd pick.
BTW - not sure what I was going on with not having a 2nd....I feel much better now, thanks!

I could easily see Lap fall to our pick, I just don't know if we should take that gamble. Although this hiatus might be the best thing for him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Many posters on here had Sieloff as a guarenteed 4-6 dman. A more skilled Sieloff is a pretty good Dman, and one definitly worth a 2nd pick.
BTW - not sure what I was going on with not having a 2nd....I feel much better now, thanks!

I could easily see Lap fall to our pick, I just don't know if we should take that gamble. Although this hiatus might be the best thing for him.

The way I see our roster, we have lots of good players, but we could really use another elite twoway Center. Especially considering Backs probably only has another 2-3 years of being a top 6 guy.

Until we find a #1c I think we pretty much have to try creative things like drafting a very highly ranked Center who dropped due to injury concerns. Because I just don’t see this roster ever being bad enough to be at the bottom of the league to get a #1C in the draft. We have too many good players.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The way I see our roster, we have lots of good players, but we could really use another elite twoway Center. Especially considering Backs probably only has another 2-3 years of being a top 6 guy.

Until we find a #1c I think we pretty much have to try creative things like drafting a very highly ranked Center who dropped due to injury concerns. Because I just don’t see this roster ever being bad enough to be at the bottom of the league to get a #1C in the draft. We have too many good players.

Solid reasoning. In the prospects board posters are saying that teams with multiple 1st rnd picks (Ott/NJ each have 3), are targeting him with their last pick. If we did take him I'm sure we'll be ruining a few teams plans.

Would Lindholm be a comparable?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Solid reasoning. In the prospects board posters are saying that teams with multiple 1st rnd picks (Ott/NJ each have 3), are targeting him with their last pick. If we did take him I'm sure we'll be ruining a few teams plans.

Would Lindholm be a comparable?

I’m not too sure but after the Hlinka people were talking about him as arguably #2 at that time.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Used Bob McKenzie's mid-season rankings to create a probability percentage list of groups of players for our top 2 picks -

1st round

F - Mercer, Holloway, Lapierre, Zary, Quinn
D - Guhle, Schneider, Barron

2nd round

F - Colangelo, Cuylle, Bordeleau, Ponomaryov, Pytlik, D. Peterson
D - Grans, Cormier, Sebrango, Hunt, Niemela

I'd say good chance our first pick in 1st round comes from that group. Obviously 2nd round odds of hitting one of those 11 players goes down but probably a decent bet.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Used Bob McKenzie's mid-season rankings to create a probability percentage list of groups of players for our top 2 picks -

1st round

F - Mercer, Holloway, Lapierre, Zary, Quinn
D - Guhle, Schneider, Barron

2nd round

F - Colangelo, Cuylle, Bordeleau, Ponomaryov, Pytlik, D. Peterson
D - Grans, Cormier, Sebrango, Hunt, Niemela

I'd say good chance our first pick in 1st round comes from that group. Obviously 2nd round odds of hitting one of those 11 players goes down but probably a decent bet.

More & more I think I'm comfortabel with going with a top tier F 1st rnd, and hopefully a NHLer D 2nd rnd

A bunch of other D I'd like to see in that 2nd rnd list, but from there I like what's being said of Grans.
I want a good skating Dman with size & physicality, and someone who is at least decent offensively.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I am not too worried about drafting a defender just yet. Even though we have nothing in the pipeline in terms of D prospects, we have a very young d core of Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, and possibly Kylington IF all 4 stay. Those are all pretty capable NHLers.

We need a top 6 C/RW. With that being said, would love to snag one of Zary, Bourque, Mercer, Quinn, or Jarvis.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I am not too worried about drafting a defender just yet. Even though we have nothing in the pipeline in terms of D prospects, we have a very young d core of Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, and possibly Kylington IF all 4 stay. Those are all pretty capable NHLers.

We need a top 6 C/RW. With that being said, would love to snag one of Zary, Bourque, Mercer, Quinn, or Jarvis.

Agreed. The forwards are more sure fire. I think that we will take a long look at Dylan Holloway and Hendrix Lapierre as well. And one of the top guys could easily slip to 13/14 where we are likely picking now, seems to happen almost every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad