Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Speaking of Grans, have a look at who flew over to watch him today:

To play the Devil's advocate -- there is also Victor Söderström (D), who played on the opposing team. Arizona's pick (#11) from last year, highly touted, right hander.

AZ already invested some of their futures in Hall in order to compete now. And FWIW, Anaheim plays against the Yotes tonight.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So Stutzle plays for Mannheim just like Seider ? That team is pumping out top 10 draft picks in back to back drafts. Mannheim must be like the Anaheim of Gemany.
Hopefully we'll get him, from Mannheim to Anaheim.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Mannheim has a good programm and since European have youth teams players opt for these teams. Like Rossi did, when he moved to Switzerland.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
To play the Devil's advocate -- there is also Victor Söderström (D), who played on the opposing team. Arizona's pick (#11) from last year, highly touted, right hander.

AZ already invested some of their futures in Hall in order to compete now. And FWIW, Anaheim plays against the Yotes tonight.

I don't see much in this game beside Söderström and I'd love him. But what could ARZ use? They need offence but what can we provide?

Prospect for prospect for sure not. So either Kase or Rakell but one of them for a good prospect seems a lot. For a Cap dump this is way too much. Do they need to reduce salary to resign Hall? But who is worth Söderström then? Kessel?

I'd love Söderström next to Hampus btw.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Thought about it several times now. So do the Ducks consider Grans with an additonal lower pick? Or will they go off the board if our own pick is at 10 or so?

">

Very high praise for Grans here. This could be another Hampus Lindholm stroy. He will raise in the rankings now and he will be around 15-20 in the final rankings everywhere imho.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Thought about it several times now. So do the Ducks consider Grans with an additonal lower pick? Or will they go off the board if our own pick is at 10 or so?

">

Very high praise for Grans here. This could be another Hampus Lindholm stroy. He will raise in the rankings now and he will be around 15-20 in the final rankings everywhere imho.

I managed to take him with our 2nd rounder (36th overall) in my first mock draft of the season, I guess the other GMs haven't caught the hype yet. I'll post the full results when we're finished.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

">

Grans may be talented, sure, but it's completely unrealistic to expect another Hampus Lindholm story. I hope we pick BPA, of course, but I'd be at least a bit sceptical about reaching for a project player with what looks to be another top-10 pick. Right now we're picking 4th before the lottery, we could be in a position to pick Drysdale, for example, and everybody seems to be ranking him above Grans...

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Watched Mavrik Bourque put up 7 points in a 7-4 win tonight. If we get another first I would love to see us pick him but I wouldn't be shocked to see him go top 20. His playmaking is very high end.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Mid-season forward ranking. No Dmen or goalies, because I'm very, very bad at ranking them... :(

1: Lafreniere - Obviously.

2: Byfield - Limitless upside. Only concern is how would we develop him -- too good for OHL, too young/green for the NHL?

T3: Stützle - A complete center with top line potential, what's not to like?

T3: Rossi - See Stützle. One of the most underrated players of the draft.

5: Raymond - My only gripe with Raymond is his mentality: sure, it's admirable that he'd focus on playing a safe game on the pro level, but it's gone to the point where it's holding back his development, especially offensively. Almost seems like he's afraid to make mistakes, which is a curious trait in an otherwise highly competitive player.

6: Zary - A fantastic, does-it-all type centerman. Would be T3 if he produced a bit more offensively.

7: Quinn - Has been rocketing up the rankings lately, 39 goals in 45 games (27 in the last 23!!) in the OHL tends to make that happen though. Has a wicked shot and great hand-eye coordination, can beat goalies in so many ways. A high octane goal scorer that doesn't have the supposed "baggage" that Kaliyev had. Currently leads the entire OHL in goal scoring. Could still pot 50 this season.

8: Perfetti - A world-class offensive talent, great playmaker. Needs work on every other area of the game though. Has upside for days, although I could see him ending up at wing at the NHL level.

9: Mercer - Equally good at scoring and passing. Oozes puck-handling talent, plays a very underrated 2-way game.

10: Lundell - Stat-wise his draft season is one for the ages, at least if you put your faith in Corsi. High IQ, sound defensive game. Needs to develop his skating, has some playmaking ability but could use more. Seems like a high floor guy, makes one question how much upside he really has?

11: Holtz - A poor man's Patrik Laine. Has possibly the best shot in this year's draft, but needs to become a better/more explosive skater in order to reach the NHL level. A perfect pick for a team who's not afraid to pick up a project player with upside.

12: Bourque - Smart, hard-working center with a truckload of offensive capability. Needs to become a better skater though.

13: Peterka - Quick shot, great goal scorer insticts, can do a lot of damage from in front of the net. Great skater too, can deliver crushing hits. Works very hard.

14: Holloway - Probably one of the best skating forwards in the draft, impressive 2-way ability, plays a feisty game. I have no idea why he doesn't have more points, he seems to have enough offensive talent...

15: Reichel - Under the radar despite his respectable numbers in the DEL. Plays a mature, pro-ready game, doesn't shy away from physical play. Has no glaring weaknesses, but I don't know how high his NHL upside would be.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just finished up the first mock draft of the year. Won the lottery from the 5th slot and had the pleasure of selecting 1st overall. Also made a trade to recoup a 4th rounder.

Nothing to be taken too seriously, just a chance to familiarize with some later round guys.

1-1 LW Alexis Lafreniere - 6'1 192 L
Alexis Lafrenière at eliteprospects.com

2-36 RD Helge Grans - 6'3 206 R
Helge Grans at eliteprospects.com

3-67 RW Brandon Coe - 6'4 190 R
Brandon Coe at eliteprospects.com
OHL Prospects: Midseason Top 50 for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft
"This might be a bit of an aggressive ranking considering that Coe is a third year player (late 2001 born) who started the year off pretty slowly. But his performance since the coaching shuffle up in North Bay has been too good to ignore (18 points in his last 12 games, averaging nearly 4 shots per game in that time span). Coe has always been one of those kids with the entire toolbox, but who just couldn't seem to string together any sort of consistency. Even if he cools off a bit, what this string of play has shown us is that Coe does have the ability to be a game breaker. Not many 6'4 kids can skate like Coe. The difference being that he is now being more aggressive in using this speed to drive the net and create with the puck, carving up space and creating consistent scoring chances. This new found assertiveness and confidence is great to see. Once he hits that full stride, with his size and reach, he can be nearly unstoppable. The thing is, Coe can also be engaged without the puck and is a willing and effective forechecker who will throw his weight around to apply pressure to defenders. He will also fight and jockey for position near the crease and is willing to score the greasy goals. Quite frankly, he is the complete package when everything is working well for him; the reason he was drafted third overall in 2017. No question, if Coe keeps up this level of play under Ryan Oulahen until the end of the season, he will be rated much higher than 19 on my year end list. Consistency is still the main goal here."

4-112 LD Zach Uens - 6'2 185 L
Zach Uens at eliteprospects.com
MCMAHON: Zach Uens Making Scouts Take Notice Ahead of 2020 NHL...

5-129 LD Adam Wilsby - 6'0 183 L
Adam Wilsby at eliteprospects.com
Double overager, exploded for a historically strong season for a U20 dman in Allsvenskan. Appears to be quite mobile and deceptive in the offensive end.

6-160 RW Ethan Cardwell - 5'11 180 R
Ethan Cardwell at eliteprospects.com
"When I watch Cardwell play, I get a lot of flashbacks to watching Ottawa's Mitchell Hoelscher as a draft eligible player. In that sense I mean, Cardwell is a very intelligent player at both ends who projects as a solid two-way player once his physical development is complete. He has such a good stick in the defensive and neutral zones and his commitment to applying back pressure is excellent. He would force even more turnovers if he was a tad bit quicker and stronger, but the positioning and IQ is one hundred percent there. In the offensive end, he's an opportunistic scorer. He has a good release on his wrist shot and gets himself in good scoring position by finding those soft spots in the defense. He's certainly a hard worker who is comfortable with any role asked of him. If he's playing up in the lineup, he is a support player to slightly more skilled/stronger players. If he's lower, he shows potential in his ability to create with the puck and seems confident in gaining the offensive zone and pushing the pace of play. Like some others on this list, I think his future projection is still very much a mystery. Is he a center or a wing long term? Can he get stronger/quicker? Is there more room for growth as the primary puck handler? I think he's definitely a candidate to be drafted in June though, much like Hoelscher a couple years ago (a pick that looks good for New Jersey right now). I would imagine that with his trade to Barrie and more ice time, some of those questions may get answered."
Ryan McArthur on Twitter <- Video of his recent four goal first period

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Just finished up the first mock draft of the year. Won the lottery from the 5th slot and had the pleasure of selecting 1st overall. Also made a trade to recoup a 4th rounder.

Nothing to be taken too seriously, just a chance to familiarize with some later round guys.

1-1 LW Alexis Lafreniere - 6'1 192 L
Alexis Lafrenière at eliteprospects.com

2-36 RD Helge Grans - 6'3 206 R
Helge Grans at eliteprospects.com

3-67 RW Brandon Coe - 6'4 190 R
Brandon Coe at eliteprospects.com
"This might be a bit of an aggressive ranking considering that Coe is a third year player (late 2001 born) who started the year off pretty slowly. But his performance since the coaching shuffle up in North Bay has been too good to ignore (18 points in his last 12 games, averaging nearly 4 shots per game in that time span). Coe has always been one of those kids with the entire toolbox, but who just couldn't seem to string together any sort of consistency. Even if he cools off a bit, what this string of play has shown us is that Coe does have the ability to be a game breaker. Not many 6'4 kids can skate like Coe. The difference being that he is now being more aggressive in using this speed to drive the net and create with the puck, carving up space and creating consistent scoring chances. This new found assertiveness and confidence is great to see. Once he hits that full stride, with his size and reach, he can be nearly unstoppable. The thing is, Coe can also be engaged without the puck and is a willing and effective forechecker who will throw his weight around to apply pressure to defenders. He will also fight and jockey for position near the crease and is willing to score the greasy goals. Quite frankly, he is the complete package when everything is working well for him; the reason he was drafted third overall in 2017. No question, if Coe keeps up this level of play under Ryan Oulahen until the end of the season, he will be rated much higher than 19 on my year end list. Consistency is still the main goal here."

4-112 LD Zach Uens - 6'2 185 L
Zach Uens at eliteprospects.com
MCMAHON: Zach Uens Making Scouts Take Notice Ahead of 2020 NHL...

5-129 LD Adam Wilsby - 6'0 183 L
Adam Wilsby at eliteprospects.com
Double overager, exploded for a historically strong season for a U20 dman in Allsvenskan. Appears to be quite mobile and deceptive in the offensive end.

6-160 RW Ethan Cardwell - 5'11 180 R
Ethan Cardwell at eliteprospects.com
"When I watch Cardwell play, I get a lot of flashbacks to watching Ottawa's Mitchell Hoelscher as a draft eligible player. In that sense I mean, Cardwell is a very intelligent player at both ends who projects as a solid two-way player once his physical development is complete. He has such a good stick in the defensive and neutral zones and his commitment to applying back pressure is excellent. He would force even more turnovers if he was a tad bit quicker and stronger, but the positioning and IQ is one hundred percent there. In the offensive end, he's an opportunistic scorer. He has a good release on his wrist shot and gets himself in good scoring position by finding those soft spots in the defense. He's certainly a hard worker who is comfortable with any role asked of him. If he's playing up in the lineup, he is a support player to slightly more skilled/stronger players. If he's lower, he shows potential in his ability to create with the puck and seems confident in gaining the offensive zone and pushing the pace of play. Like some others on this list, I think his future projection is still very much a mystery. Is he a center or a wing long term? Can he get stronger/quicker? Is there more room for growth as the primary puck handler? I think he's definitely a candidate to be drafted in June though, much like Hoelscher a couple years ago (a pick that looks good for New Jersey right now). I would imagine that with his trade to Barrie and more ice time, some of those questions may get answered."
Ryan McArthur on Twitter <- Video of his recent four goal first period

This would be a very fortunate draft for us. Great pics!

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
At least it deserves a #1 pick for the first time. After all this years.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I think Jack Quinn may be playing himself into the top-10 of the draft. 22 goals in 15 games in 2020, 43 in 47 in the season. Some highlights (#22 for the 67s):

Here he has a hat trick. Really shows that he doesn't need a lot of time and space to make things happen.

Despite his "Cy Young" numbers, he's proving to have an eye for playmaking as well...

And FWIW, Quinn apparently doesn't play with Rossi at even strength...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think Jack Quinn may be playing himself into the top-10 of the draft. 22 goals in 15 games in 2020, 43 in 47 in the season. Some highlights (#22 for the 67s):

Here he has a hat trick. Really shows that he doesn't need a lot of time and space to make things happen.

Despite his "Cy Young" numbers, he's proving to have an eye for playmaking as well...

Rossi centers overages Keating and Garreffa, Quinn mostly plays with Devils prospect Hoelscher (mentioned above).

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

I like how his name is made out of Jack Hughes & Quinn Hughes.
Could be a pretty good pick if the Ducks get knocked back a by 4 picks due to rigged lottery and if players on the Ducks trying to push the Ducks out of the top 6 pre-lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->